Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been infected with Hepatitis

Found 20th Aug 2017
A publicly unknown supermarket are said to have sold loads of EU pork products that may be infected with Hepatitis. This has lead to blood donations and donated organs to be tested for the virus, which can cause liver cirrhosis and neurological damage.

There's very little info around at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure which products were involved, but research started back in 2014 - If any more info comes up, I'll update

- Source

Community Updates
Thousands at risk of pig virus from ‘Supermarket X’ sausages - The Sunday Times

"PHE and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) have refused to name Supermarket X but two separate sources said it was Tesco."
Misc
Top comments
Roll on Brexit.
Stop buying cheap supermarket branded meat.

Its inferior,

Its cheap,

Its not tasty.

Buy good quality meats from well known sources. Or forever hold your peace.
44 Comments
Slightly useful information

cdc.gov/hep…htm
Tesco own brand .
Roll on Brexit.
shauneco4 m ago

Roll on Brexit.

bit early for 'we wantz r country back' brigade
shauneco21 m ago

Roll on Brexit.

I'd still rather have a roll 'n' sausage.
Long live the EU eh!
SJHan10 m ago

Long live the EU eh!

You clearly don't understand anything really, enjoy your chicken products from Thailand
Go vegetarian?? My daughter has been vegie for a year now and I must admit some stuff is nicer.. The vegie sausages on holiday were much nicer than the 40% pork rubbish that came with the normal breakfast..
Error4402 m ago

You clearly don't understand anything really, enjoy your chicken products …You clearly don't understand anything really, enjoy your chicken products from Thailand

I'd stay off the medication error
Just a suggestion.
SJHan4 m ago

I'd stay off the medication error Just a suggestion.

Read the labels of your products, increasingly foods are coming from china because its cheaper, maybe once we make a deal with trump we can enjoy the USAs lower standards too.

Yep brexs**t will save you from everything, from tooth decay to Nigerian scammers
And when there are reports of these products poisoning people, I'm sure I'll be concerned. As it stands, it's EU supplied items that are currently hitting the headlines.
Error44026 m ago

Read the labels of your products, increasingly foods are coming from china …Read the labels of your products, increasingly foods are coming from china because its cheaper, maybe once we make a deal with trump we can enjoy the USAs lower standards too. Yep brexs**t will save you from everything, from tooth decay to Nigerian scammers

not gonna argue about Brexit, but EU standards are lower than the UKs aswell, dont even look up Eastern European farming practices, a fair few EU countries have also completely ignored the battery farm ban.
Edited by: "catbeans" 20th Aug 2017
catbeans8 m ago

not gonna argue about Brexit, but EU standards are lower than the UKs …not gonna argue about Brexit, but EU standards are lower than the UKs aswell, dont even look up Eastern European farming practices, a fair few EU countries have also completely ignored the battery farm ban.

It's almost as if they think Britain will turn into a lawless wasteland once we've left, I think British standards are pretty good and we'll adapt certain EU laws. I'm sure our standards will prevent meat from being contaminated with hepatitis at least.
medical information first surfaced in 2014;
follow up findings :-
pubmed link and :Pork products associated with human infection caused by an emerging phylotype of hepatitis E virus in England and Wales

....This does not infer blame on the supermarket but the epidemiology of HEV is dynamic and reflects complex animal husbandry practices which need to be explored further (2017, after 3 years there are still further actions to resolve issues).
......another words this supermarket is not to be blame but they contracted from (a) supplier and sold for human consumption meat with complex animal husbandry practices which they (supermarket byers and analysts) don't understand, not responsible for, nor in a position to know as yet after many years.

So cook your sausages well to kill off the Hepatitis E.
Edited by: "splender" 20th Aug 2017
This is such a blatant attempt to damage the reputation and value of EU pork exports, probably cos we've just done a 200 million quid deal with China and now have eyes on Japan, to which the EU is the biggest pork exporter. Our new friends in Ireland will also be pleased with this news.

As with most scare stories, follow the money & see who benefits.
nationalhogfarmer.com/mar…ade
Edited by: "Darren.Whatson" 20th Aug 2017
catbeans47 m ago

not gonna argue about Brexit, but EU standards are lower than the UKs …not gonna argue about Brexit, but EU standards are lower than the UKs aswell, dont even look up Eastern European farming practices, a fair few EU countries have also completely ignored the battery farm ban.

Rather EU over the increasing amounts of Chinese, indian and thai products in our diets
Error4403 m ago

Rather EU over the increasing amounts of Chinese, indian and thai products …Rather EU over the increasing amounts of Chinese, indian and thai products in our diets

All those increasing amounts while we have been (and still are) members of the the EU.
shadey125 m ago

All those increasing amounts while we have been (and still are) members of …All those increasing amounts while we have been (and still are) members of the the EU.

Will only increase more with the lack of the common market. Its all about money and complacency of the public do you read the labels on your food? If it falls to state country of origin do you put it back on the shelf or buy anyway?
Error4405 m ago

Will only increase more with the lack of the common market. Its all about …Will only increase more with the lack of the common market. Its all about money and complacency of the public do you read the labels on your food? If it falls to state country of origin do you put it back on the shelf or buy anyway?

I personally don't buy meat from the supermarket or takeaway.
shadey125 m ago

I personally don't buy meat from the supermarket or takeaway.

Are you rearing your own or trust a butchers ( a rare thing in these parts) either way the point still stands, nothing to do with Brexit if you think we will be safe from food scares with Brexit, that we will suddenly become an island completely self fulfilling all needs in terms of food, tech and textiles etc, you be barking mad.
Error4401 h, 33 m ago

Read the labels of your products, increasingly foods are coming from china …Read the labels of your products, increasingly foods are coming from china because its cheaper, maybe once we make a deal with trump we can enjoy the USAs lower standards too. Yep brexs**t will save you from everything, from tooth decay to Nigerian scammers

Jumping out of the Euro sausage and chips oil into the stir-fry.
Stop buying cheap supermarket branded meat.

Its inferior,

Its cheap,

Its not tasty.

Buy good quality meats from well known sources. Or forever hold your peace.
Error44030 m ago

Rather EU over the increasing amounts of Chinese, indian and thai products …Rather EU over the increasing amounts of Chinese, indian and thai products in our diets

You don't get out much do you!

I'm assuming that if/when you dare venture out to exotic locations outside the EU, you take your own tea bags, milk and Monster Munch with you.
Error44012 m ago

Are you rearing your own or trust a butchers ( a rare thing in these …Are you rearing your own or trust a butchers ( a rare thing in these parts) either way the point still stands, nothing to do with Brexit if you think we will be safe from food scares with Brexit, that we will suddenly become an island completely self fulfilling all needs in terms of food, tech and textiles etc, you be barking mad.

ithink you just addressed your own point, do you think post Brexit EU will ban countries from sending us food or that Britain will attempt to grow all our own food? Markets compete, we leave, if the cost to us from the EU goes up, Imports go down from EU, EU price lower, imports go up.
Error44048 m ago

Are you rearing your own or trust a butchers ( a rare thing in these …Are you rearing your own or trust a butchers ( a rare thing in these parts) either way the point still stands, nothing to do with Brexit if you think we will be safe from food scares with Brexit, that we will suddenly become an island completely self fulfilling all needs in terms of food, tech and textiles etc, you be barking mad.

Farm. I don't think we will be self fulfilling but certainly better than if the population was allowed to grow at unprecedented rates while in the EU. Some of us like to have countryside close to where we live rather than more housing estates.
SJHan1 h, 16 m ago

You don't get out much do you! I'm assuming that if/when you dare venture …You don't get out much do you! I'm assuming that if/when you dare venture out to exotic locations outside the EU, you take your own tea bags, milk and Monster Munch with you.

I get out as far as the supermarkets several times a week to see the foods from all over the world that are there.

Makes your comment about the EU pretty bizzare.
shadey1247 m ago

Farm. I don't think we will be self fulfilling but certainly better than …Farm. I don't think we will be self fulfilling but certainly better than if the population was allowed to grow at unprecedented rates while in the EU. Some of us like to have countryside close to where we live rather than more housing estates.

Another curious comment seeing as the government wants to have a special deal to keep the doors open and more people migrate here from none EU countries then from EU countries, those none EU migrants tend to stay here too, unlike the EU ones who go home after a few months or a few years.

Brexit isn't going to do anything to affect the asylum numbers from Africa and the middle east, nor will it affect the Chinese and Russians investment pushing up the prices of homes.

Might end up like Greece with endless boats of traffickers, I'm sure France won't be arsed trying to stop them.
Error44024 m ago

Another curious comment seeing as the government wants to have a special …Another curious comment seeing as the government wants to have a special deal to keep the doors open and more people migrate here from none EU countries then from EU countries, those none EU migrants tend to stay here too, unlike the EU ones who go home after a few months or a few years. Brexit isn't going to do anything to affect the asylum numbers from Africa and the middle east, nor will it affect the Chinese and Russians investment pushing up the prices of homes.Might end up like Greece with endless boats of traffickers, I'm sure France won't be arsed trying to stop them.

Good job labour aren't running the show then.
Nice to see you have a positive outlook on the UKs future.
Error44012 h, 17 m ago

Rather meat than this
hotukdeals.com/dis…429
I don't eat much meat. Maybe once a week. If you want to eat meat,thing is just make sure it is a decent product and the animal has lived a good life. I'd rather eat one piece of meat a week that I could be sure was of good quality than eat processed stuff of dubious origin. Before everyone jumps on my case saying not everyone can afford this, a burger made of proper beef from a butcher is well under a quid, half a dozen buns will cost less than a quid from Morrison's and potatoes are dirt cheap. I'd rather that than a happy meal.
psychobitchfromhell6 h, 4 m ago

Rather meat than …Rather meat than thishttps://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/i-just-tried-pek-2758429I don't eat much meat. Maybe once a week. If you want to eat meat,thing is just make sure it is a decent product and the animal has lived a good life. I'd rather eat one piece of meat a week that I could be sure was of good quality than eat processed stuff of dubious origin. Before everyone jumps on my case saying not everyone can afford this, a burger made of proper beef from a butcher is well under a quid, half a dozen buns will cost less than a quid from Morrison's and potatoes are dirt cheap. I'd rather that than a happy meal.

Do you know it would take me two buses to get to a butchers and its funny you make assumptions they are fine.

Fact is unless you have pigs and kill them yourself you have absolutely no idea.

bbc.co.uk/new…666

Even jamie oliver
theguardian.com/lif…ngs

Then you have the issue of meat glue which i believe is illegal in the EU but you never know, the problem with that stuff is if you like your steak rare
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 21st Aug 2017
*vomit* I was just going out to buy sausages. Cheers 😳
Error4401 h, 14 m ago

Do you know it would take me two buses to get to a butchers and its funny …Do you know it would take me two buses to get to a butchers and its funny you make assumptions they are fine.Fact is unless you have pigs and kill them yourself you have absolutely no idea.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-39265666Even jamie oliverhttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/jamie-oliver-butcher-inspectors-mouse-droppingsThen you have the issue of meat glue which i believe is illegal in the EU but you never know, the problem with that stuff is if you like your steak rare

Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous things to chickens. Easy to say when you have a decent butcher.
Error4402 h, 46 m ago

Do you know it would take me two buses to get to a butchers and its funny …Do you know it would take me two buses to get to a butchers and its funny you make assumptions they are fine.Fact is unless you have pigs and kill them yourself you have absolutely no idea.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-39265666Even jamie oliverhttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/jamie-oliver-butcher-inspectors-mouse-droppingsThen you have the issue of meat glue which i believe is illegal in the EU but you never know, the problem with that stuff is if you like your steak rare

Which is exactly why I don't eat much meat
MSK.1 h, 36 m ago

*vomit* I was just going out to buy sausages. Cheers 😳

Thats fine just cook em completely and never eat rare meat
MSK.1 h, 40 m ago

Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous …Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous things to chickens. Easy to say when you have a decent butcher.

Its funny that its unscrupulous practices that led to the rise of branded goods in the first place, plaster of Paris mixed in with the flour, good old hovis flour sold in bags rather then trust the loose stuff sold by the shop keeper. Buy your milk sealed rather then from a churn that may have had borax chucked in it to cover up its age.

Now people are saying we need to go back to our butchers and bakers, seemingly because they think having eye contact with the shop keeper will keep them honest?
MSK.1 h, 46 m ago

Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous …Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous things to chickens.

I'm going to need you to elaborate on that one
Lots of comments but not one telling us which supermarket to avoid, nice....x
MSK.21st Aug

Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous …Only one butcher in my town and they have a rep for doing scandalous things to chickens. Easy to say when you have a decent butcher.

choking them?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants