Supermarket / Morrisons Food Boxes - are they really worth the money?

Community Manager9
Posted 25th May
It seems that supermarket food boxes are becoming more common due to how things are right now. Of course they might provide convenience but are they really worth the money?

I've had a look at a new extra large fruit & vegetable box from Morrisons.

"Morrisons makes splash with extra-large fruit box can feed families for days" is the headline and the box is stated to be £22 delivered.

Morrisons say a typical box will contain (and i've added the current price next to each):

• Baking potatoes 2.5kg - £1.50
  • Trimmed green beans 80g - 75p
  • Onions 1kg - 75p
  • Wonky carrots 1kg - 40p
  • Chestnut mushrooms 250g - £1
  • Baby spinach 160g - £1
  • Baby plum tomatoes 250g - £1
  • The Best baby sweet peppers 250g - £1.65
  • Royal gala apples (6 pack) - £1.60
  • Ripen at home bananas (5 pack) - £1
  • Unwaxed lemons (5 pack) - £1
  • Whole pineapple - £1
  • Satsumas 600g - £1.40
  • Red grapes 500g - £1.50
  • Whole cucumber - 57p
  • Round lettuce - 65p

Total (not including any multi-buys) - £16.77

Delivery is from £1.50 so this could all be bought separately from £18.27 deliveredso £3.73 cheaper.

Factor in possible issues with BBE dates and that you cannot be 100% sure what you'll receive in your box. There is simply not enough value in this for me. Delivery is included in the £22 but you cannot order these along with a larger shop.

Has anyone ordered one of these boxes or maybe another from Morrisons (a Vegetarian Food Box, Gluten Free Food Box, BBQ Food Box, Assorted Fish Box and British Farmers Food Box) and have any feedback?

3471277.jpg

Community Updates
9 Comments
Well to start with the baking potatoes are actually £1.50, you have used the price for the 4 pack and not 2.5kg.
You are paying for the convenience
666FU25/05/2020 16:20

Well to start with the baking potatoes are actually £1.50, you have used …Well to start with the baking potatoes are actually £1.50, you have used the price for the 4 pack and not 2.5kg.

Good spot Updated the totals.

Edit - looks like the 50p bags are better value anyway. You could buy 3 x 50p bags of 12 baking potatoes for the same price. No stated weight but the 2.5kg looks like about 8 per bag.

_Whatever_25/05/2020 16:22

Yep. The first time I saw these boxes I assumed they'd be better value buying as a complete bundle. I just wondered if others would have felt the same.
Edited by: "Jason" 25th May
_Whatever_25/05/2020 16:22

Agreed.
I thought the initial idea behind these boxes was for those people self-isolating who couldn't get to a shop to buy essentials.
Blueskinnedbeast25/05/2020 16:41

Agreed.I thought the initial idea behind these boxes was for those people …Agreed.I thought the initial idea behind these boxes was for those people self-isolating who couldn't get to a shop to buy essentials.

Yep but you can buy every single item separately online for delivery a couple quid cheaper.

I get it is convenient instead of adding them individually but even with needing to hit £40 for online delivery it seems odd to me that they charge extra for this. At least make it the same price.
I think the boxes are becoming redundant given that stock availability has significantly improved.
These boxes are a way to get people to spend more on things they don't need. To get stuff like potatoes and cucumbers delivered you have to buy a pineapple and lemons at full price.
jamie1525/05/2020 19:22

These boxes are a way to get people to spend more on things they don't …These boxes are a way to get people to spend more on things they don't need. To get stuff like potatoes and cucumbers delivered you have to buy a pineapple and lemons at full price.

You can still buy single items online at Morrisons though and get them delivered. You'd be spending more that way because you need to hit £40 minimum spend. It seems they're just banking on people liking the convenience.

Another thought I had was whether they're trying to compete with local businesses offering veg boxes. We have quite a few around here.
Jason25/05/2020 20:40

You can still buy single items online at Morrisons though and get them …You can still buy single items online at Morrisons though and get them delivered. You'd be spending more that way because you need to hit £40 minimum spend. It seems they're just banking on people liking the convenience. Another thought I had was whether they're trying to compete with local businesses offering veg boxes. We have quite a few around here.

It's all about slots. People who aren't going out still can find it difficult to get slots on Morrisons site. As soon as slots become available there I don't think many people will be buying these food boxes.
Post a comment
@
    Text