Supermarket stock levels and queue updates

Posted 26th Mar
With the current goings-on, I have noticed that most of the supermarket websites have either dropped their stock checker or are not responding at all. Is there an alternative location/website/etc where I might be able to see what my local supermarket is doing?

For example, it would be nice to know that before I set out for Cannock (the home of my nearest supermarkets) that I'm not driving towards an empty supermarket. I'm not after a stock check of every single item, but at least an option of avoiding those that have completely empty shelves. Alternatively, perhaps an update on queue lengths so I don't spend my entire lunchtime just stood outside the doors waiting to get in?

I'd be more than willing to post my own experiences after a shopping trip, if others are already doing the same it could be quite effective.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Gumbon26/03/2020 23:19

Mysupermarket closed was a great way of checking prices now your stuck at …Mysupermarket closed was a great way of checking prices now your stuck at checking 5 sites

I'm not bothered about prices, I don't think now is the time to try and go bargain hunting. It's more about availability?
33 Comments
Mysupermarket closed was a great way of checking prices now your stuck at checking 5 sites

Mysupermarket closed was a great way of checking prices now your stuck at …Mysupermarket closed was a great way of checking prices now your stuck at checking 5 sites

I'm not bothered about prices, I don't think now is the time to try and go bargain hunting. It's more about availability?
overall supermarkets are getting better this week in comparison to last week but it does very much depend on the store, the chain and the time you go.

yes, it would help if their websites have updated stock information, especially when there is no stock on the shelves to say this on the website, but they don't have a system for this, unlike other retailers as supermarket stocks can go so fast even in normal times so they don't do a stock check.

similarly with queues, they can be long but within an hour two the queue can disappear. unfortunately it is a bit of a gamble that we all have to take and just see what is there when you do get there. but as i have said, things are looking better than last week from my experience in our area.
I didn't know that any supermarket website gave you the ability to check store stock, ever?
plebbygiraffe26/03/2020 23:54

I didn't know that any supermarket website gave you the ability to check …I didn't know that any supermarket website gave you the ability to check store stock, ever?

it's not an exact science but i find if i log into my tesco account and look for an item, it can give me an indication of whether the item is likely to be in store if i go there as it becomes unavailable to order online if they no longer have stock at the store and if it comes back into stock, i have a better chance to see it on the shelves when i get there. tesco seems to be quite good at saying when things are out of stock.

i find this doesn't work for sainsburys but i think that is because the store i go to is not the store that delivers my groceries.
They should post live CCTV on YouTube Tescotube...it's sad to see how unprotected these workers on the floor are, I saw a worker talking to a customer about 3 cm apart and no protection for the man behind the till. Sainsbury's CEO spams me about every 20 minutes with his plans for barrier protected tills..not sure if they've materialised?
mutley126/03/2020 23:34

overall supermarkets are getting better this week in comparison to last …overall supermarkets are getting better this week in comparison to last week but it does very much depend on the store, the chain and the time you go. yes, it would help if their websites have updated stock information, especially when there is no stock on the shelves to say this on the website, but they don't have a system for this, unlike other retailers as supermarket stocks can go so fast even in normal times so they don't do a stock check.similarly with queues, they can be long but within an hour two the queue can disappear. unfortunately it is a bit of a gamble that we all have to take and just see what is there when you do get there. but as i have said, things are looking better than last week from my experience in our area.

We are all coming to a point where even hoarders need to keep there coffers in the wallet with the u certainty on the next paycheck

I didn't know that any supermarket website gave you the ability to check …I didn't know that any supermarket website gave you the ability to check store stock, ever?

Tesco's site gives me an idea of what's not in stock, once I log in. If I was to order online, then the shopping is picked in that store.

It is not bang up to date though , for instance it was still showing all varieties of milk (except 6 pint bottles that are discontinued) in stock, a hour or two after I got back, but they only had small bottles of full fat and UHT left in store, and occasionally some products don't get listed online.

Before I went shopping I added most stuff I wanted to the basket, to see if it was worth going, on Wednesday morning for example more than half was out of stock for online ordering, so little chance of getting it in store either.
Gumbon26/03/2020 23:50

We are all coming to a point where even hoarders need to keep there …We are all coming to a point where even hoarders need to keep there coffers in the wallet with the u certainty on the next paycheck

there is only so much you can hoard and then you have enough. most people would stop at a month's supply and if they see the shops getting better they will reduce that to 3 weeks, then 2 weeks so it can only get better with time if the shelves get restocked, which they are at the moment.

it does depend on the store and the time of day as my tesco had lots of uht milk, chicken, fresh fruits and vegetables but very little frozen vegetables.

also the new limit on all items is having a lot of impact on people hoarding and i think that is one of the main reason for the improvement coupled with more stock coming in and more staff to restock the shelves during the day.

my m&s food hall was back to normal today, shelves and shelves of food. it was pretty empty for days last week and earlier this week.
If you use Asda then go online and search for the main products you want, it’ll show whether they’re in stock or not which should give you a rough idea. That being said I was trying to get on their website several times the past couple of days and it was busy, managed to get online just after midnight and also book a home delivery slot (albeit for 10th April). Stock seemed decent bar toilet roll, kitchen roll, pasta hand wash, spaghetti, beans and scouring sponges. What turns up by then will be another thing though!
ChelseaRae27/03/2020 02:02

If you use Asda then go online and search for the main products you want, …If you use Asda then go online and search for the main products you want, it’ll show whether they’re in stock or not which should give you a rough idea. That being said I was trying to get on their website several times the past couple of days and it was busy, managed to get online just after midnight and also book a home delivery slot (albeit for 10th April). Stock seemed decent bar toilet roll, kitchen roll, pasta hand wash, spaghetti, beans and scouring sponges. What turns up by then will be another thing though!

Yep our pending order got updated telling us 20 out of the 25 items in the order is now out of stock. Absolutely crazy. I miss pasta 😔. Would make my own but cant even buy any bloody flour!
aturner12327/03/2020 02:43

Yep our pending order got updated telling us 20 out of the 25 items in the …Yep our pending order got updated telling us 20 out of the 25 items in the order is now out of stock. Absolutely crazy. I miss pasta 😔. Would make my own but cant even buy any bloody flour!

I ordered 83 items, it’ll be interesting to see how many turn up! Hoping for a better success rate but you’re not the only one that’s for sure, I saw another comment re: supermarket home delivery saying they’d paid as much for delivery as they did for the items that turned up
I went to my local aldi couple days ago and it was lovely. They were doing 4 at a time which finally allowed me to find what i needed.
If you know someone who works at Tesco they should be able to log onto there account and check stock in your specific store

Tesco is a live stock count (from your regional delivery store which isn't necessarily your closest one)
hairycanary27/03/2020 00:05

They should post live CCTV on YouTube Tescotube...it's sad to see how …They should post live CCTV on YouTube Tescotube...it's sad to see how unprotected these workers on the floor are, I saw a worker talking to a customer about 3 cm apart and no protection for the man behind the till. Sainsbury's CEO spams me about every 20 minutes with his plans for barrier protected tills..not sure if they've materialised?

They are all implementing checkout screens this week (except aldi & lidl)
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Mar
melted27/03/2020 00:11

Tesco's site gives me an idea of what's not in stock, once I log in. If I …Tesco's site gives me an idea of what's not in stock, once I log in. If I was to order online, then the shopping is picked in that store. It is not bang up to date though , for instance it was still showing all varieties of milk (except 6 pint bottles that are discontinued) in stock, a hour or two after I got back, but they only had small bottles of full fat and UHT left in store, and occasionally some products don't get listed online.Before I went shopping I added most stuff I wanted to the basket, to see if it was worth going, on Wednesday morning for example more than half was out of stock for online ordering, so little chance of getting it in store either.

Do your online shop after 9pm when the store is closed. Nearly everything shows as in stock for me, even loo rolls, hand-wash and paracetamol .

Eg.
40199025-puKW2.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Mar

Someone posted an alternative a few weeks ago. Look for Comparasaurus on iOS app. Not as good as mentioned above but it’s still working.
chocci27/03/2020 06:42

They are all implementing checkout screens this week (except aldi & …They are all implementing checkout screens this week (except aldi & lidl)

After they've caught it
I am no fan of Facebook but perhaps it is this app which could be used to create a group interested in Cannock supermarkets. Everyone who then joins the group can stay informed of current situation there but I fear all it would lead to is a mass surge.
Similarly, using twitter search facility for cannock tesco or whatever might help. why not even create a hashtag #cannocktesco for instance. bound to be someone soon who will post live feeds from webcams surreptitiously located in every aisle
Best bet for stock control is one of the supermarkets who operate out of warehouses, rather than in-store picking. Ocado and Morrisons are the two main ones I think. Our Ocado orders have been 99% complete with eggs, milk, veg, bread, flour, painkillers, etc.

Just have to keep trying to get a slot!
If anyone has a serious medical condition that puts them at very high risk, you can register on the government website:- gov.uk/cor…ble
chocci27/03/2020 06:44

Do your online shop after 9pm when the store is closed. Nearly everything …Do your online shop after 9pm when the store is closed. Nearly everything shows as in stock for me, even loo rolls, hand-wash and paracetamol .Eg. [Image]

That's a good suggestion even if you just use it to check stock, since you can't add stuff while it is not in stock.

Shame they've got no spare delivery or click and collect slots, so I could avoid going out. Still, if one pop's up in three weeks time and you are ready to place an order, at least you'll have a chance of getting in first.
I go first thing in the morning and have got almost everything on my list for the last 10 days. The only inconvenience is standing in a well spaced out line as my local Sainsburys and Waitrose have implemented crowd control.
njl3027/03/2020 06:57

Someone posted an alternative a few weeks ago. Look for Comparasaurus on …Someone posted an alternative a few weeks ago. Look for Comparasaurus on iOS app. Not as good as mentioned above but it’s still working.

Also on Android.
bozo00727/03/2020 10:09

I go first thing in the morning and have got almost everything on my list …I go first thing in the morning and have got almost everything on my list for the last 10 days. The only inconvenience is standing in a well spaced out line as my local Sainsburys and Waitrose have implemented crowd control.

Trying to decide if it’s best to go to my small claustrophobic local shop or the supermarket where there’s more space and self service checkouts just to get milk etc.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 27th Mar
chocci27/03/2020 06:41

Tesco is a live stock count (from your regional delivery store which isn't …Tesco is a live stock count (from your regional delivery store which isn't necessarily your closest one)

Stock count where?

There is no indication on Tesco.com of the amount of items they have in stock that I can see.

I'm aware that they sometimes show an item as unavailable, but (and I do know my closest store is the delivery store) this isn't very reflective of reality as items that display that message are sometimes available in the store and vice versa.

I suspect there may be a buffer in play to account for in-store purchases. And I also notice that picking future delivery points never really altered that message, yet what is in stock today wouldn't be a picture of what is in stock next week. And naturally if it was accurate you wouldn't ever get many substitutions. But you do.
Medium Sainsbury's and Iceland queues round block so had to resort to local / express with limited stock and Upto 15% more expensive. Sainsbury's nowt but Tesco had blue gloves etc (to protect hands)
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 27th Mar
captainbeaky27/03/2020 10:19

Trying to decide if it’s best to go to my small claustrophobic local shop o …Trying to decide if it’s best to go to my small claustrophobic local shop or the supermarket where there’s more space and self service checkouts just to get milk etc.

Just milk? Local it is, but then maybe you want to plan things better?
Went to Sainsbury in Grimsby earlier and about 12 people queuing outside. Usual 1 person per family in, unless you split up.
Half the shelves were just as empty / shuttered off as 2-3 weeks ago, so either a lot of panicking buying still going on there, or they are barely restocking anything compared to say Tesco.
Plenty of Easter eggs though.
xenole31/03/2020 11:44

Went to Sainsbury in Grimsby earlier and about 12 people queuing outside. …Went to Sainsbury in Grimsby earlier and about 12 people queuing outside. Usual 1 person per family in, unless you split up.Half the shelves were just as empty / shuttered off as 2-3 weeks ago, so either a lot of panicking buying still going on there, or they are barely restocking anything compared to say Tesco.Plenty of Easter eggs though.

Doing my tesco online shop now. Have pretty much 99% in stock, even hand-wash, toilet rolls and hand sanitizer!

40241591-ZJGak.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 31st Mar
Lidl Portsmouth today , no queue , high stock levels
xenole31/03/2020 11:44

Went to Sainsbury in Grimsby earlier and about 12 people queuing outside. …Went to Sainsbury in Grimsby earlier and about 12 people queuing outside. Usual 1 person per family in, unless you split up.Half the shelves were just as empty / shuttered off as 2-3 weeks ago, so either a lot of panicking buying still going on there, or they are barely restocking anything compared to say Tesco.Plenty of Easter eggs though.

Had the same experience as you in both my local tesco and sainsburys. Tesco were well organised, queue 2M apart, lady cleaning trolly handles as you go in, lines clearly marked on the floor all around the store, all shelves stocked except hand sanitiser and eggs, plenty of toilet roll.

Sainsburys in comparison were a complete shambles. The 2 doors had been split for entry and exit, but done so you had to cross the path of those exiting. No cleaning trolly handles, no lines or markers on the floor, lacking stock of most things, only got half what I needed. Till operator refused me paying cash saying about potential virus contamination, yet handled all the food I had touched on the conveyor and my nectar card.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants