Expired

Supermarket V Pub ......Soft Drinks Price

Found 17th Nov 2013
Our local rag is always moaning about the Supermarket V Pub prices on Beer..

I on the other hand can not for the life of me understand the massive price difference regarding soft drinks.

£2.40 for a Bottle of J2o at the pub, £2.20 for a Bottle of coke.

Is there a reason for such unrealistic prices?

14 Comments

The post mix stuff is worse, it costs about 2p for a glass of it.

crazy some soft drinks cost more than beer

Original Poster

sancho1983

The post mix stuff is worse, it costs about 2p for a glass of it.

That's why I buy Bottles... The post mix knocks me sick.

I can't think of an excuse from the pubs, afterall they don't get hit with high tax on soft drinks... The price of non alcoholic beer is ridiculous also.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

supermarkers sell 1000s of different items in large numbers so can still … supermarkers sell 1000s of different items in large numbers so can still make billions with a relatively low level of profit on each itempub sell limited items in relatively low numbers so have to charge high prices to make a decent profit

I hear you, but my local corner shop would go out of business if he sold a Bottle of J2O for £2.40..

The pub had an extensive Menu, with lots of Dinners, massive mark up on food and soft drinks. I think the pricing isn't to far out, just a little over edging unreasonable.

People pay it, so they charge it. Easy as that really.
Also, high profit on soft subsidises low profit on alcohol.

You could apply this to anything that's serving a purpose theme parks cinemas ice rinks football stadiums music venues the list go's on soft drink have been 3.50 a can some places I've been too if people pay it they will sell it

Original Poster

larrylightweight

You could apply this to anything that's serving a purpose theme parks … You could apply this to anything that's serving a purpose theme parks cinemas ice rinks football stadiums music venues the list go's on soft drink have been 3.50 a can some places I've been too if people pay it they will sell it

Yes, I agree to a certain extent, thing is, people don't visit your said venues on a daily basis, our local rag wants the "Pub" to be the social centre it once was, I personally don't think this is viable, mainly due to the prices they charge.

I have 8 pubs in walking distance to me, all charge nearly the same for Beer, the prices of soft drinks differs as does food prices.

The pub was once a social hub, I fear they have lost sight..

Original Poster

pubs are closing at a riduclou

ktm666

People pay it, so they charge it. Easy as that really.Also, high profit … People pay it, so they charge it. Easy as that really.Also, high profit on soft subsidises low profit on alcohol.

Pubs are closing at an alarming rate....people aren't paying it !

The price of Beer is measurable, for tax reasons, the price of soft drinks,,, it's pure greed.

logie31

pubs are closing at a riduclouPubs are closing at an alarming … pubs are closing at a riduclouPubs are closing at an alarming rate....people aren't paying it !The price of Beer is measurable, for tax reasons, the price of soft drinks,,, it's pure greed.

Closing pubs (as unfortunate as it is) I think, is down to two main factors. The big chains emerging and undercutting local pubs and a general shift in times, affected by perception. People just don't go for a drink every night after work anymore. Also , I think things like drink driving becoming unacceptable and the smoking ban has some part to play.
The days of the pub being the hub of a town or village has long gone, the same happened with churches...

logie31

pubs are closing at a riduclouPubs are closing at an alarming … pubs are closing at a riduclouPubs are closing at an alarming rate....people aren't paying it !The price of Beer is measurable, for tax reasons, the price of soft drinks,,, it's pure greed.

You cant compare the price of a soft drink in a pub and the price in a supermarket.

You are buying the drink in the pub and then drinking it in the pub. So you have to factor in Staff to serve it, washing the glass, cost of heating the pub, cost of sky tv etc etc its the overheads that a pub has that makes it more expensive.

ktm666

Closing pubs (as unfortunate as it is) I think, is down to two main … Closing pubs (as unfortunate as it is) I think, is down to two main factors. The big chains emerging and undercutting local pubs and a general shift in times, affected by perception. People just don't go for a drink every night after work anymore. Also , I think things like drink driving becoming unacceptable and the smoking ban has some part to play.The days of the pub being the hub of a town or village has long gone, the same happened with churches...

My local is still a proper pub, one of the very few non generic chain pubs left in my area though
Edited by: "ZedEx" 18th Nov 2013

Local landlord told me he had to up the cost of soft drinks as if you were on soft drinks you'd only have 1 whereas drinkers normally have numerous drinks. He said whilst it's dirt cheap to make the coke, the upkeep of equipment and the building means he has to charge what he does in order to be profitable.

There is a pub in Looe Cornwall with a sign on the door which states "sky tv no longer available due to Sky charging £74k a year to provide it". It things like that which make your J20 so expensive!

Banned

Holy thread resurrection!

NickyB1159

Does your corner shop or supermarket provide a DJ, bands, Karaoke, Sky … Does your corner shop or supermarket provide a DJ, bands, Karaoke, Sky Sports, seating, bar staff, glasses, beermats, ice, pool table, juke box or dart board? Thought not!

When I go for a pub meals a couple of times a week, none of the places I go (and theres quite a few different places) to have DJ, bands, Karaoke or Sky Sports on at lunchtime, most don't have them on a night. Beermats, ice, dartboard, dominos or anything like that cost buttons. I've never seen a pub with a free jukebox or pool table, sticking a quid in a jukebox for one song hardly needs subsidising by adding money to a drink. Glasses are reused, not a great cost there. Bar staff, supermarkets have staff.

That aside, the supermarkets make a loss on alcohol in order to lure you … That aside, the supermarkets make a loss on alcohol in order to lure you in and buy other things they make more profit on. They don't have to pay 20% VAT on the food and drinks they sell. Pubs do. Its supermarkets who are forcing up the price of drinks in pubs.

You sure there isn't VAT on food and drink in Supermarkets? Some is zero rated but alcohol isn't.

That and the government over taxing small business, increasing the … That and the government over taxing small business, increasing the minimum wage, increasing business rates, allowing the utility companies to charge what they like, the list goes on.

Does all that not apply to supermarkets too?

That's what's closing pubs. Pubs Landlords aren't being greedy. The only … That's what's closing pubs. Pubs Landlords aren't being greedy. The only way they can pay their bills is either increasing prices or cutting costs as costs are constantly going up they are left with the only option to increase their prices. Most poor publicans work around 70 hours a week and are lucky if they break even.

The smoking ban had a massive negative effect on pubs. Putting prices up doesn't encourage people to go out more, it encourages people to go elsewhere, especially at times when everyone is paying more for utility bills etc, if people have less disposable income, if a night out costs an extra 20% to what it did a couple of years ago then it stands to reason they can't afford to go out as much.

Heres an example
I used to go to a lovely pub, just outside the city centre every couple of weeks for lunch. Prices were reasonable, it was always packed, so packed you would regulary have to wait 20-30 mins for a table anytime between 12 and 2, and after that there would only be a couple of tables free up till about 4pm. They have about 60 tables, with 4 chairs at each to give an idea of the size and amount of people in. As an example, fish and chips, £6.99 or 2 meals for £10. The quality wasn't the best (obviously) but it was decent enough. A pint of stella was £2.60, pint of coke (the made up stuff) was £2.30, and a bottle of kopperberg £2.90.
They closed for a refurb about 3 months ago, closed for a month. The refurb consisted of gloss work being repainted, walls repainted, toilets tiled. The tables, seating area's, bar is all the same.
I went in a few weeks ago for the first time. Fish and chips now £8.99 each, same food, same size portions. Pint of stella £3.30, bottle of kopperberg £4.30 and was informed they don't sell pints of coke anymore, only halves, £2.75!
We used to spend about £40 between the 4 of us on meals and a couple of drinks each. When we went last time we spent almost £70. We wondered why, when we went in, there were only a dozen or so tables being used, now we know. Needless to say we haven't been back, nor will we, and judging by how quiet it was, nor will many others.

Pubs can't justify charging £4.30 for a bottle of something when you can walk over the road to tesco, spend an extra 70p and get 3 of the exact same bottle. £11 for 2 pints of diluted coke, you can get 11 2 ltr bottles of pepsi (about 40 pints) for that price in numerous shops.

I don't think anyone complains about prices being a bit higher in the pub than you would pay in a supermarket, but if you take the mick you end up pricing yourself out of the market and lose even more customers.

Edited by: "davey369" 14th Aug 2014

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants