Supermarket v Shell Petrol

Found 7th Oct 2011
Hi, i am convinced (no proof) that when i fill up with supermarket petrol i dont get so many miles as when i fill up with Shell or something similar, has anyone else found this ?

14 Comments

Original Poster

ha ha i know what you mean i usually fill up after i have done my shopping

Banned

All fuel sold has to meet the same minimum requirement and it is a legal EU requirement that all engines sold in the EU must be able to run on 95 RON(which is the minimum spec) and,in fact,have to pass a Government observed test to show this.All the fuel you buy,branded or unbranded,is likely to come from the same group of refineries. Having said that the supermarket fuel has less additives which could lower the octane against the premium brands.

Also because shell fuel is advertised as shell fuelsave which USP is that the fuel last longer than competitors

clicky

Banned

Iv avoided using supermarket fuel based on crap fuel grade and the fuel knackering car storys

I use a shell station to fuel which luckily is 500 yards from an asda station in dundee which is always the same price
Edited by: "dj_urban" 7th Oct 2011

ouch 6valve tinker

Personally i think the consensus when this was last debated was depending on what your car is you will notice the difference higher specs/literage cars will (or are said to) drive better on non supermarket fuels whereas my pug 206 drives just fine on supermarket.

Original Poster

slamdunkin

All fuel sold has to meet the same minimum requirement and it is a legal … All fuel sold has to meet the same minimum requirement and it is a legal EU requirement that all engines sold in the EU must be able to run on 95 RON(which is the minimum spec) and,in fact,have to pass a Government observed test to show this.All the fuel you buy,branded or unbranded,is likely to come from the same group of refineries. Having said that the supermarket fuel has less additives which could lower the octane against the premium brands.

thanks for that x

Original Poster

bob100

Also because shell fuel is advertised as shell fuelsave which USP is that … Also because shell fuel is advertised as shell fuelsave which USP is that the fuel last longer than competitorsclicky

thanks for the clicky x

I tend to find Sainsbury's super unleaded is best for my car.

Supermarket fuel generally has a much lower quantity and quality of additives. Whilst the base fuel is the same it is the additives which make all of the difference.

Original Poster

think i will go back to shell then, it was sainsburys i was using unleaded

Do your own tests - as every vehicle is different.

Fill up to the brim, note mileage with each brand - compare.

Banned

Shell fuel is fab.

You get what you pay for in this world.

I've noticed this too!!

I've not filled up at Asda for years after I had major problems with the car I had at the time after using it...and the RAC man said I wasn't the only one!!

These days I do so few miles and I have a leased car, I'd rather have the cheaper option and if something goes wrong, lease company picks up the bill.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions