Supermarkets that slice cheese for free in veggie-friendly slicers?

Found 9th Aug 2017
The markup premium between block and slice cheddar is insane at my local Tesco. There is a slicer at the counter but it is used also on meats. What is the best supermarket chain to get say 500g of cheddar sliced in a cheese-only machine without paying extra quid or 2 for buying pre-sliced?
Community Updates
Ask
31 Comments
It wont be used on meat and cheese as that is a major breach of food safety standards. They normally have one at the cheese end and one or two at the meat end. Just ask and they will do it for you.
Just buy a cheese slicer for a couple of quid and do it at home.

amazon.co.uk/Coo…DB0
ThePasty9 m ago

It wont be used on meat and cheese as that is a major breach of food …It wont be used on meat and cheese as that is a major breach of food safety standards. They normally have one at the cheese end and one or two at the meat end. Just ask and they will do it for you.

It was/they do. I watched this happen as I was in the queue, which I then left. It is like Subway employees are supposed to change gloves and segregate knives but they won't. I didn't know if it was a Tesco thing or just my particular store/employee.
ohh the vegans and vegetarians always being awkward
I can understand people with food allergies but this... smh
Edited by: "mattsk" 9th Aug 2017
steve12217 m ago

Just buy a cheese slicer for a couple of quid and do it at …Just buy a cheese slicer for a couple of quid and do it at home.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cook-and-Eat-Cheese-Slicer/dp/B002GTJDB0

I was looking to avoid having to. Anyway, the one you link and similar wirecut ones are for very thin slices. I need the more "professional" type that comes down or runs across and slices thick like the prepackaged 10 slice ones which are expensive.
Edited by: "andre4000" 9th Aug 2017
Use a knife?
Surely the easiest answer is just buy a block & cut the cheese with a knife. Could never understand why people pay more for pre cut/sliced food.
Buy thr cheese slicer
People suggesting to use a knife.... Dear oh dear.

OP you need to report your store tio Tesco customer services.
Purps7 h, 43 m ago

Surely the easiest answer is just buy a block & cut the cheese with a …Surely the easiest answer is just buy a block & cut the cheese with a knife. Could never understand why people pay more for pre cut/sliced food.

+1

Plus a block stays fresh far longer too
I don't want to pay extra for sliced, that's the whole point of me asking places that slice for free.

Cutting with a knife doesn't produce good results, it is not even or easy to cut through 50 slices of hard cheeses like cheddar when making sandwiches for the boys.
andre400023 m ago

I don't want to pay extra for sliced, that's the whole point of me asking …I don't want to pay extra for sliced, that's the whole point of me asking places that slice for free.Cutting with a knife doesn't produce good results, it is not even or easy to cut through 50 slices of hard cheeses like cheddar when making sandwiches for the boys.

so you want them to buy a separate machine only for cheese, train staff, run it and maintain it, for free, just so that you can save a few quid rather than buying their pre-sliced cheese?

good luck with that.
adamspencer9522 h, 24 m ago

so you want them to buy a separate machine only for cheese, train staff, …so you want them to buy a separate machine only for cheese, train staff, run it and maintain it, for free, just so that you can save a few quid rather than buying their pre-sliced cheese?good luck with that.

You know very well that he neither said that nor meant that.
Edited by: "Uranus" 11th Aug 2017
Destard15 m ago

You know very well that he neither said that nor meant that.

sounds exactly like what they are saying - not to mention it's also been edited

the supermarket has a meat slicer - the OP wants them to have one specifically for vegetarians to slice the cheese. if the supermarket is selling pre sliced cheese why would they cut up blocks for free hence undercutting themselves?
adamspencer953 h, 50 m ago

sounds exactly like what they are saying - not to mention it's also been …sounds exactly like what they are saying - not to mention it's also been editedthe supermarket has a meat slicer - the OP wants them to have one specifically for vegetarians to slice the cheese. if the supermarket is selling pre sliced cheese why would they cut up blocks for free hence undercutting themselves?

No they're just asking if they can get it done anywhere where the slicer is used solely for cheese and not meat also.
mattsk32 m ago

sorry but vegetarians/vegans are just fussy pr!cks. it is their choice to …sorry but vegetarians/vegans are just fussy pr!cks. it is their choice to not eat meat therefore they have the choice NOT TO BUY the food.other than food safety there is no medical, religious or any other reason to have separate slicers, but then why would supermarkets do that when there is already cut cheese on the isles....

Vegetarianism is followed in a few different religions so there would be some religious grounds.
Just very limited demand for it.

Having said that it's a dumb idea. Sliced/chopped/grated cheese has a far shorter shelf life so any costs savings your think your getting having a large block sliced for your is likely lost with wastage.
mattsk14 h, 23 m ago

sorry but vegetarians/vegans are just fussy pr!cks. it is their choice to …sorry but vegetarians/vegans are just fussy pr!cks. it is their choice to not eat meat therefore they have the choice NOT TO BUY the food.other than food safety there is no medical, religious or any other reason to have separate slicers, but then why would supermarkets do that when there is already cut cheese on the isles....

I still don't see the op demanding anywhere in this thread that the supermarkets provide a cheese only slicer. He/she asked a simple question which has been blown out of context buy other members. They simply want to know if any supermarket provide this service and if so which ones. They've not said they're vegan or vegetarian so for all we know it could be due to a food allergy or religion or simply the fact they don't want to contaminate the cheese.

Maybe they want to save some money (like most of us on this site) and buy the block and get it sliced, or maybe they're too lazy to do it themselves. Personally I don't care, but I do care when members start attacking each other with little or no facts just assumptions. There's no need for it. Vegan or not they should still be able to ask a question without being shot down.
adhkarzf3 h, 35 m ago

I still don't see the op demanding anywhere in this thread that the …I still don't see the op demanding anywhere in this thread that the supermarkets provide a cheese only slicer. He/she asked a simple question which has been blown out of context buy other members. They simply want to know if any supermarket provide this service and if so which ones. They've not said they're vegan or vegetarian so for all we know it could be due to a food allergy or religion or simply the fact they don't want to contaminate the cheese. Maybe they want to save some money (like most of us on this site) and buy the block and get it sliced, or maybe they're too lazy to do it themselves. Personally I don't care, but I do care when members start attacking each other with little or no facts just assumptions. There's no need for it. Vegan or not they should still be able to ask a question without being shot down.

no I dont see the OP demanding, but I see the OP expecting to have a separate slicer. what is next? separate slicer for each type of cheese so it doesnt mess up the flavour?

regardless if it is religion, beliefs, or preference... Unless it is a medical condition I really dont give a damn, because otherwise there is always a choice. If you dont like it, dont make others to bend over to your requests.

I have a food intolerance (that does actually make me unwell) yet I dont ramble and expect people/shops to adapt to my needs. I'm happy with what is out there and adapt when needed. simple.

PS> there is no such thing as allergy to meat, I'm yet to see anyone trying to slice crustaceans, eggs or fish on a slicer.
Edited by: "mattsk" 12th Aug 2017
mattsk5 h, 3 m ago

no I dont see the OP demanding, but I see the OP expecting to have a …no I dont see the OP demanding, but I see the OP expecting to have a separate slicer. what is next? separate slicer for each type of cheese so it doesnt mess up the flavour?regardless if it is religion, beliefs, or preference... Unless it is a medical condition I really dont give a damn, because otherwise there is always a choice. If you dont like it, dont make others to bend over to your requests.I have a food intolerance (that does actually make me unwell) yet I dont ramble and expect people/shops to adapt to my needs. I'm happy with what is out there and adapt when needed. simple.PS> there is no such thing as allergy to meat, I'm yet to see anyone trying to slice crustaceans, eggs or fish on a slicer.

I give up

Oh and there is such a thing as allergy to meat as my sister in-law suffers a terrible rash and swelling all over as if she was beaten up if she eats some.

OP could you please clarify if you were demanding, expecting retailers to bend over backwards for you or just asking a simple question about cheese slicers.
adhkarzf8 h, 44 m ago

I still don't see the op demanding anywhere in this thread that the …I still don't see the op demanding anywhere in this thread that the supermarkets provide a cheese only slicer. He/she asked a simple question which has been blown out of context buy other members. They simply want to know if any supermarket provide this service and if so which ones. They've not said they're vegan or vegetarian so for all we know it could be due to a food allergy or religion or simply the fact they don't want to contaminate the cheese. Maybe they want to save some money (like most of us on this site) and buy the block and get it sliced, or maybe they're too lazy to do it themselves. Personally I don't care, but I do care when members start attacking each other with little or no facts just assumptions. There's no need for it. Vegan or not they should still be able to ask a question without being shot down.

'veggie-friendly slicer' in the title sort of gives it away.

as above, supermarkets arent going to undercut themselves by slicing blocks of cheese for free when they sell ready sliced cheese.
adhkarzf11 h, 49 m ago

I give up Oh and there is such a thing as allergy to meat as my …I give up Oh and there is such a thing as allergy to meat as my sister in-law suffers a terrible rash and swelling all over as if she was beaten up if she eats some.OP could you please clarify if you were demanding, expecting retailers to bend over backwards for you or just asking a simple question about cheese slicers.

please show us a medically diagnosed condition where someone is allergic to meat
but let me give you this food.gov.uk/sit…pdf
before you make another dumb uneducated comment
mattsk1 h, 44 m ago

please show us a medically diagnosed condition where someone is allergic …please show us a medically diagnosed condition where someone is allergic to meatbut let me give you this https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/top-allergy-types.pdfbefore you make another dumb uneducated comment

How rude! He was only asking a question!
Thanks for those trying to assist but the aggressive comments have turned me off. Sorry I asked.
Ignore keyboard bullies mate.
mattsk7 h, 3 m ago

please show us a medically diagnosed condition where someone is allergic …please show us a medically diagnosed condition where someone is allergic to meatbut let me give you this https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/top-allergy-types.pdfbefore you make another dumb uneducated comment

Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You come across as a really rude person but I went stoop you your level of calling you derogatory terms unlike yourself I can actually converse without throwing insults.
First world problems
darksideby1821 h, 40 m ago

First world problems

Good contribution, well done. It was good you came back to tell us of your further wisdom after your "Use a knife?" comment 4 days earlier.

Let's see....

- An image of Jack Wilshere sticking the middle finger as your profile picture with "your mum" as your bio.
- Posted deals mainly on bikes and computer games
- Comments of "cheeky banter" in usual threads like womens' underwear

All checks out.
adhkarzf2 h, 28 m ago

Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. …Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You come across as a really rude person but I went stoop you your level of calling you derogatory terms unlike yourself I can actually converse without throwing insults.

you could not come up with a dumber response.... I believe I can fly.... that basically disproves your whole argument.
mattsk1 h, 24 m ago

you could not come up with a dumber response.... I believe I can fly.... …you could not come up with a dumber response.... I believe I can fly.... that basically disproves your whole argument.

If I could I'd sit you down with my sister in-law and feed her meat in front of you and you coulf see the reaction yourself. fortunately I'd never want her to be in the presence of such a horrible person so you can continue believing what you want. No point arguing with you personally I don't care if you believe it or not I've got better things to do with my time.
OP is only asking what supermarkets have a free, cheese only slicer, there not demanding that one is provided, merely who/where already provides the service

If it helps, my local Morrisons cheese and meat counters are spaced apart, thus they have meat only slicers and cheese only slicers, not sure if theres a Morrisons close to you OP?
duckfat2 h, 59 m ago

Good contribution, well done. It was good you came back to tell us of your …Good contribution, well done. It was good you came back to tell us of your further wisdom after your "Use a knife?" comment 4 days earlier.Let's see....- An image of Jack Wilshere sticking the middle finger as your profile picture with "your mum" as your bio.- Posted deals mainly on bikes and computer games- Comments of "cheeky banter" in usual threads like womens' underwearAll checks out.

Diddums
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants