support families of those killed and injured in the Manchester Arena attack

Found 23rd May 2017
justgiving.com/cro…ter

Off topic but I think we can all pause for a minute and support the families impacted by this terrible act.

At least 22 people have been killed and 59 injured after a terrorist attack at the Manchester Arena.
Manchester Evening News readers have been asking how they can help, so we have started this fund to help support the families in the aftermath of the attack.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
thanks for putting this up for all too see. working in Manchester today and amosphere here is just so sad.. the chance to help someone just a little bit is what makes us better people.
I see this has been moved from a deal to the forums but I think it would be good to get this back on a deal.

I've donated £20 and I think that is the deal of the century compared with what these families must be going through.

Mods - Any chance of moving back please, these are hopefully very rare occasions that deserve our support.

Thanks, I've donated and shared on facebook, Perhaps HUKDs could put it on there facebook page too.
I think it's a small price to pay based on the number of injured and bereavements.

I also do think it's a deal rather than stuck in the forums for visibility or at least a post on the front page but that's just my view.
49 Comments
thanks for putting this up for all too see. working in Manchester today and amosphere here is just so sad.. the chance to help someone just a little bit is what makes us better people.
I see this has been moved from a deal to the forums but I think it would be good to get this back on a deal.

I've donated £20 and I think that is the deal of the century compared with what these families must be going through.

Mods - Any chance of moving back please, these are hopefully very rare occasions that deserve our support.

Thanks, I've donated and shared on facebook, Perhaps HUKDs could put it on there facebook page too.
Austin_Yeahbaby

I see this has been moved from a deal to the forums but I think it would … I see this has been moved from a deal to the forums but I think it would be good to get this back on a deal.I've donated £20 and I think that is the deal of the century compared with what these families must be going through.Mods - Any chance of moving back please, these are hopefully very rare occasions that deserve our support.

With respect I don't believe that it belongs on the deals page - but the highlights page maybe? That said, I don't think that it needs to go on there (for exposure) as it has almost reached its target of £250,000 in less that 24 hours (which is pretty astonishing!).

Edited by: "RossD89" 23rd May 2017
RossD89

With respect I don't believe that it belongs on the deals page - but the … With respect I don't believe that it belongs on the deals page - but the highlights page maybe? That said, I don't think that it needs to go on there (for exposure) as it has almost reached its target of £250,000 in less that 24 hours (which is pretty astonishing!).

Exceeded the target now - target has since increased to £300k.
miikeyblue

Exceeded the target now - target has since increased to £300k.

Yea, I've just seen. I can see the final sum being somewhere around 10 times that, if not more. It really is a shame that it even needs to be done though. Those poor kids, parents and their families
I think it's a small price to pay based on the number of injured and bereavements.

I also do think it's a deal rather than stuck in the forums for visibility or at least a post on the front page but that's just my view.
Just wish there was a page like this where they didn't take such a big cut of the donations. Sadly they have said before they won't waive the fees fingers crossed this time.

Report this and ask for it to be on the highlight page enough do it it might end up there.

Austin_Yeahbaby

I think it's a small price to pay based on the number of injured and … I think it's a small price to pay based on the number of injured and bereavements.I also do think it's a deal rather than stuck in the forums for visibility or at least a post on the front page but that's just my view.

Austin_Yeahbaby

I see this has been moved from a deal to the forums but I think it would … I see this has been moved from a deal to the forums but I think it would be good to get this back on a deal.I've donated £20 and I think that is the deal of the century compared with what these families must be going through.Mods - Any chance of moving back please, these are hopefully very rare occasions that deserve our support.

I have added the link to my misc thread, thanks for sharing OP
It's a horrible tragedy, but I really don't see how giving money to an intermediary or giving money is going to help with anything? I 100% condemn the actions of whoever is behind this and I understand how horrible a tradegy that is to the families, but simply giving money here seems a little misguided, isn't it?
xchaotic

It's a horrible tragedy, but I really don't see how giving money to an … It's a horrible tragedy, but I really don't see how giving money to an intermediary or giving money is going to help with anything? I 100% condemn the actions of whoever is behind this and I understand how horrible a tradegy that is to the families, but simply giving money here seems a little misguided, isn't it?

Community charity is one of the things that I am proud that this country does so well.
It's up to us as individuals to help others in need, and also to choose who we donate money to.
Families have been torn apart. They may not necessarily need money, but this shows that people are supporting them in possibly the only way they can. It's something I'm very supportive of.
xchaotic

It's a horrible tragedy, but I really don't see how giving money to an … It's a horrible tragedy, but I really don't see how giving money to an intermediary or giving money is going to help with anything? I 100% condemn the actions of whoever is behind this and I understand how horrible a tradegy that is to the families, but simply giving money here seems a little misguided, isn't it?

I don't know how old you are or how much you know about life but let me be blunt here, when someone dies a family will need financial support to pay their respects to their love one. Many younger people will not have any form of life insurance and you might not be aware that it costs thousands to pay the last respects. Many funeral companies now offer free services for children but up after that the only support is the basic "paupers" funeral. Such a service like this one will be mean those affected have one less worry. Then there are other costs support that can be offered, many of these are children babies really and do you honestly think they will just go to bed and forget it, no they won't and NHS type services are so over stressed what do you want, let them suffer for 6 months, a year or more to get help.

Misguided? Will let you decide.
hope this can help with funerals and carw
coffeepassions

funerals should be the families respinsibility

You don't believe in charity?
coffeepassions

funerals should be the families respinsibility

Right. And when families are destroyed by homegrown terrorists, whose fault is that?

It's a systematic failure by society as a whole, by the system in place to protect them from people like this. They can't catch everybody, I get that, some will and do slip through the net and when that happens it causes absolute devastation. Do we blame the affected families for this, turn our backs on them and tell them the cost of burying their loved ones is their problem? Hardly fair is it?
Edited by: "miikeyblue" 23rd May 2017
Link not working. Copying/pasting works fine, so it's something HUKD-side.
Financial worries at this moment in time should be the least of the worries of these poor families but I do not like people being lambasted for not feeling that giving money is necessary. Its free speech if someone feels inclined not to give, it does not make them ''2nd class citizens''.

At the end of the day why do we pay our taxes, the government should be the first say ''Every family funerals costs will be taken care off''. Not many CEO's of major organizations who earn more than we could earn in ten lifetimes stating they will provide money.

Lastly and most importantly, R.I.P to all the families in this time.
And another terrorist disaster nets justgiving a tidy profit (At least £32,000 and counting).

Link to Justgiving fees page

There needs to be more pressure for them to at least cap the fee. Yes I understand they are a profit making company and have overheads – would it kill them if they only made say £10,000 out of a terrorist bombing? Am sure they’d still manage to stay in business and more money would go to the families as it was intended.

Awful tragedy.... my thoughts are with the families.
Edited by: "hopper84" 23rd May 2017
drasim

Community charity is one of the things that I am proud that this country … Community charity is one of the things that I am proud that this country does so well. [...] They may not necessarily need money, but this shows that people are supporting them in possibly the only way they can. It's something I'm very supportive of.

This is what I'm aiming at - there's more ways to do charity than just chuck money at a 3rd party, profit-making institution.
I simply don't see how sending money will clear your conscience or change anything about the divides and root causes of this tragedy.
From my perspective it's the easiest thing to do PayPal, Credit Card, boom, done, how hard is that?
What have you changed, really?
It's not charity, it's just good PR.
If you really want to change something, fix the divides that fuel such radical acts - go and talk to people in refugee camps, maybe spend some weeks teaching English or whatever you're good at so they too have a fair chance in life.
Or just spend 2 minutes to send money to justgiving and let others decide for you.
That's my view and I totally understand if people disagree, but to sum up, ice cold from me.
xchaotic

This is what I'm aiming at - there's more ways to do charity than just … This is what I'm aiming at - there's more ways to do charity than just chuck money at a 3rd party, profit-making institution.I simply don't see how sending money will clear your conscience or change anything about the divides and root causes of this tragedy.From my perspective it's the easiest thing to do PayPal, Credit Card, boom, done, how hard is that?What have you changed, really?It's not charity, it's just good PR.If you really want to change something, fix the divides that fuel such radical acts - go and talk to people in refugee camps, maybe spend some weeks teaching English or whatever you're good at so they too have a fair chance in life.Or just spend 2 minutes to send money to justgiving and let others decide for you.That's my view and I totally understand if people disagree, but to sum up, ice cold from me.

I appreciate your point of view, but I find it reasonable enough that people would both want to give monetary support to victims of national atrocities and help prevent them from happening again. It's not a case of one or the other.
because the funeral business is very profitable, it's cheaper to ship my body to my ethnic country and be buried there, than it is to be buried 5 miles from my home.
I never realised just giving took such huge fees. I am shocked. I never even thought about that
this is an excellent cause...and is gaining traction.

this is an accessible way for people not near or immediately affected to help those affected.

Those people who aren't wanting to use justgiving then please understand that if you aren't doing anything but moan about it's imperfection ...then those families won't be helped by any whinging on a site!
I was in Morrisons yesterday and they have buckets at every checkout collecting for Manchester
xchaotic

This is what I'm aiming at - there's more ways to do charity than just … This is what I'm aiming at - there's more ways to do charity than just chuck money at a 3rd party, profit-making institution.I simply don't see how sending money will clear your conscience or change anything about the divides and root causes of this tragedy.From my perspective it's the easiest thing to do PayPal, Credit Card, boom, done, how hard is that?What have you changed, really?It's not charity, it's just good PR.If you really want to change something, fix the divides that fuel such radical acts - go and talk to people in refugee camps, maybe spend some weeks teaching English or whatever you're good at so they too have a fair chance in life.Or just spend 2 minutes to send money to justgiving and let others decide for you.That's my view and I totally understand if people disagree, but to sum up, ice cold from me.

I know you've not referenced it directly, but in terms of changing attitudes vs PR - interested to know your thoughts on people changing profile pictures etc. on Facebook and Twitter every time something terrible happens in this world.

I think people giving a few quid to those directly affected and with their worlds turned upside down will do far more good, in the short term at least.
Bossworld

I know you've not referenced it directly, but in terms of changing … I know you've not referenced it directly, but in terms of changing attitudes vs PR - interested to know your thoughts on people changing profile pictures etc. on Facebook and Twitter every time something terrible happens in this world. I think people giving a few quid to those directly affected and with their worlds turned upside down will do far more good, in the short term at least.

Personally, I partly agree about the money thing. Whilst the families may need financial assistance, they didn't need it yesterday. I did see an advert yesterday asking for people with type o negative blood to get to Manchester and donate, and this seems to have had much less coverage than the money, but was much more pressing. It's a nice gesture to give financial aid to those who need it, but for a lot of us, giving away £20 is nothing. I gamble more than that each weekend, and a lot of us (myself included) give very little of our 'precious' time and energy to help others. I did call my girlfriend yesterday to get her to ring the docs and find out my blood type, as I thought it was time I started helping, but sadly I'm not type O
xchaotic

Did you read my reply to you at all before you replied to that comment I guess not so you still aren't aware of the financial need.
Edited by: "eslick" 24th May 2017
xchaotic

This could allow families to bury a loved one without having to worry about where they'll get the money from. I'm sure none of these parents have budgeted for their childs funeral. That's what the money could do.
xchaotic

This could allow families to bury a loved one without having to worry about where they'll get the money from. I'm sure none of these parents have budgeted for their childs funeral. That's what the money could do.
RuudBullit

Personally, I partly agree about the money thing. Whilst the families may … Personally, I partly agree about the money thing. Whilst the families may need financial assistance, they didn't need it yesterday. I did see an advert yesterday asking for people with type o negative blood to get to Manchester and donate, and this seems to have had much less coverage than the money, but was much more pressing. It's a nice gesture to give financial aid to those who need it, but for a lot of us, giving away £20 is nothing. I gamble more than that each weekend, and a lot of us (myself included) give very little of our 'precious' time and energy to help others. I did call my girlfriend yesterday to get her to ring the docs and find out my blood type, as I thought it was time I started helping, but sadly I'm not type O

They didn't have funerals to arrange and pay for before this happened!
If you don't want to donate or don't agree with the fundraising, it would be better if you just said nothing.

These families weren't expecting this. You don't expect your child to die so you don't budget for it.

If the only thing it does is allow these families to bury their loved ones without debt; that's an amazing thing.
RuudBullit

Personally, I partly agree about the money thing. Whilst the families may … Personally, I partly agree about the money thing. Whilst the families may need financial assistance, they didn't need it yesterday. I did see an advert yesterday asking for people with type o negative blood to get to Manchester and donate, and this seems to have had much less coverage than the money, but was much more pressing. It's a nice gesture to give financial aid to those who need it, but for a lot of us, giving away £20 is nothing. I gamble more than that each weekend, and a lot of us (myself included) give very little of our 'precious' time and energy to help others. I did call my girlfriend yesterday to get her to ring the docs and find out my blood type, as I thought it was time I started helping, but sadly I'm not type O

​so if you can't donate the blood. then donate cash or do something...writing your comments here isn't helping is it?

if you have a tenner it might help ease the burden for parents to deal with funeral costs...if you don't like charity then I guess this isn't for you.
davewave

so if you can't donate the blood. then donate cash or do … so if you can't donate the blood. then donate cash or do something...writing your comments here isn't helping is it?if you have a tenner it might help ease the burden for parents to deal with funeral costs...if you don't like charity then I guess this isn't for you.

Why the need to be so aggressive? Intolerance to people with differing opinions to ones own is why this happened in the first place.

I mean, your comment does nothing for those families either.

Edited by: "RuudBullit" 24th May 2017
gallifrey

They didn't have funerals to arrange and pay for before this happened!

And they didn't have them to arrange and pay for yesterday, they needed blood. I'm not knocking donating, it's great that so many people are so charitable, I'm just saying that it would have been nice for the blood drive to have got this amount of response.
RuudBullit

And they didn't have them to arrange and pay for yesterday, they needed … And they didn't have them to arrange and pay for yesterday, they needed blood. I'm not knocking donating, it's great that so many people are so charitable, I'm just saying that it would have been nice for the blood drive to have got this amount of response.

In response to this attack, they've already said (yesterday) they have all the blood they need. People turning up en masse to donate blood would have done nothing for these families.

It would be great to see the blood stocks rise in general though.
RuudBullit

And they didn't have them to arrange and pay for yesterday, they needed … And they didn't have them to arrange and pay for yesterday, they needed blood. I'm not knocking donating, it's great that so many people are so charitable, I'm just saying that it would have been nice for the blood drive to have got this amount of response.

are you being for real here, do you not know what happens once someone dies, you have to pay before they will even allow the funeral to take place, so as soon as someone dies you have that worry straight way. Yes blood maybe needed but do you honestly think our blood supplies are so low we need the blood taken and then past straight to anyone who needs it, there is a process of screening to follow.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants