Found 2nd Sep 2009
Hi guys, its 3:41 and I am still reading and being confused about trying to find a surround sound system! Essentially I want it for a 360, I have an Elite so I will be using HMDI for video, and I have the adapter with the optical output so thats fine.

My budget has gone from about 50 (realizing Im not going to get anything) to like 150 at a push, but I was wondering if home cinema systems are better than a standard surround sound system, I have read that the Sony DAV-DZ260 would be good enough but I have no idea, I have a smallish room so dont need a ginormous monstrosity!

Anyway thanks in advance, off to Asda, need some sugar after all this thinking aha

58 Comments

Theres some new LG ones on ebay with optical for about £50 delivered..
PM me and I'll PM you in the morning.

Original Poster

I have also seen a home cinema system that upscales dvds and have optical input, just cant remember what it was....

Original Poster

Turns out the sony.co.uk/pro…260 that I was looking for is an older model and I can't find one anywhere

All the newer models don't have optical input according to the useless man in the Sony shop!

HELP!

the sony systems are great ive got the dav-dz260 i think its been discontinued though

comet have the 'newer' model of the 260 which is almost identical, only thing is they are starting to discontinue it, ill let you know the model number

Original Poster

Do you know anywhere I can get my hand on one, its the one I want after searching through loads of systems!

Mattallica;6186411

Do you know anywhere I can get my hand on one, its the one I want after … Do you know anywhere I can get my hand on one, its the one I want after searching through loads of systems!

you would need to go into comet and see if they have a display model, its the dav-dz361w

if you could possibly find a display model, also because its going to be discontinued they will give you a good price

comet.co.uk/sho…ews

lol if you're using HDMI from the Xbox you don't need to use the optical anywho, the sound and picture will be from the HDMI input

Alfonse;6186467

lol if you're using HDMI from the Xbox you don't need to use the optical … lol if you're using HDMI from the Xbox you don't need to use the optical anywho, the sound and picture will be from the HDMI input

your wrong, the hdmi goes from the tv to the xbox, the optical goes from the xbox to the surround sound unit

cribert;6186487

your wrong, the hdmi goes from the tv to the xbox, the optical goes from … your wrong, the hdmi goes from the tv to the xbox, the optical goes from the xbox to the surround sound unit

really so mine shouldn't be working at the mo...................

you loser of facts

the HDMI goes to the amp, then HDMI to TV the way MINE does,

Alfonse;6186513

really so mine should be working at the mo...................you loser of … really so mine should be working at the mo...................you loser of factsthe HDMI goes to the amp, then HDMI to TV the way MINE does,

so your using a splitter? not just one hdmi?

i had this exact problem but wasnt willing to pay for a splitter

and how many ports do you have on you amp? xbox? tv?

cribert;6186517

so your using a splitter? not just one hdmi?i had this exact problem but … so your using a splitter? not just one hdmi?i had this exact problem but wasnt willing to pay for a splitter

nope not a splitter in sight, 1 x AMP, 4 x HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, so one cable goes to TV from amp for my BD player, XBox, and PS3

Alfonse;6186513

really so mine shouldn't be working at the mo...................you loser … really so mine shouldn't be working at the mo...................you loser of factsthe HDMI goes to the amp, then HDMI to TV the way MINE does,

sorry cribert is right , hdmi is purely for sound from the TV if u want surround sound from ur xbox/ps3 u NEED a optical cable to connect to the dvd player thats linked to the surround sound.

Edit: in 'Alfonse' case i assume he has a very expensive amp set up that can take the sound from the tv when the xbox/ps3 is linked to the tv and uses that to play the sound in 5.1, but for these dvd home cinema kits u need a optical.

LM290;6186544

sorry cribert is right , hdmi is purely for sound from the TV if u want … sorry cribert is right , hdmi is purely for sound from the TV if u want surround sound from ur xbox/ps3 u NEED a optical cable to connect to the dvd player thats linked to the surround sound.

wrong, you have no idea what you are talking about, I already do it,

1 x 15 metre HDMI cable to my TV from my AMP, 4 x HDMI inputs all picture AND sound

7.1 DTS Audio Master AMP

the sony system only has one hdmi

Alfonse;6186550

wrong

wrong at least do some homework

Original Poster

What have I created? aha I'm going to ring the comets in my area now

cribert;6186552

wrong at least do some homework

I already have this set-up, what home work?!?!

Mattallica;6186555

What have I created? aha I'm going to ring the comets in my area now

haha , mate i own a dav-dz361w and i cant recommend it enough. its has the wireless rear speakers and for its price its the cheapest around with this and it has 1000w output. As cribert says this is getting discontinued, if comet say it isnt tell them to check again because it is they will try tell u its not to get u to pay full price!

Alfonse;6186572

the system that op is after only has one hmdi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that homework

Alfonse;6186572

Edit: in 'Alfonse' case i assume he has a very expensive amp set up that can take the sound from the tv when the xbox/ps3 is linked to the tv and uses that to play the sound in 5.1, but for these dvd home cinema kits u need a optical.

the confusion has started because you are talking about a very expensive amp here , the OP is looking for a cheaper home cinema kit were u need a optical cable.

cribert;6186583

the system that op is after only has one hmdi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that … the system that op is after only has one hmdi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that homework

its being discontiued the newer ones will work this way hence no optical.....dur

LM290;6186589

Edit: in 'Alfonse' case i assume he has a very expensive amp set up that … Edit: in 'Alfonse' case i assume he has a very expensive amp set up that can take the sound from the tv when the xbox/ps3 is linked to the tv and uses that to play the sound in 5.1, but for these dvd home cinema kits u need a optical.the confusion has started because you are talking about a very expensive amp here , the OP is looking for a cheaper home cinema kit were u need a optical cable.

yes

Alfonse;6186593

its being discontiued the newer ones will work this way hence no … its being discontiued the newer ones will work this way hence no optical.....dur

but he doesnt want a newer one, thats the point:?

cribert;6186600

yesbut he doesnt want a newer one, thats the point:?

ffs there are always options

Alfonse;6186612

ffs there are always options

have you looked at his budget:thinking:

Alfonse;6186593

its being discontiued the newer ones will work this way hence no … its being discontiued the newer ones will work this way hence no optical.....dur

i doubt that optical will be removed all together, not everyone has tvs with more than 1 or 2 hdmi outputs. 'Bravia link" is a new system sony are tryins to implement in new systems ie. dav-dz280 were sound works from the hdmi but u NEED a bravia tv, again not everyone has a bravia tv to it becomes useless for those wanting xbox/ps3 in surround sound

cribert;6186619

have you looked at his budget:thinking:

yes needs pushing up, but let me have a look around I will see if I can find something........

LM290;6186624

i doubt that optical will be removed all together, not everyone has tvs … i doubt that optical will be removed all together, not everyone has tvs with more than 1 or 2 hdmi outputs. 'Bravia link" is a new system sony are tryins to implement in new systems ie. dav-dz280 were sound works from the hdmi but u NEED a bravia tv, again not everyone has a bravia tv to it becomes useless for those wanting xbox/ps3 in surround sound

CNC works with the Bravia link also, i know have it working

Original Poster

People on the phone at comet were useless!

Sorry to cause all this palava, from my understanding the newer sony entertianment ones (I.e the step up from the Sony DAV-DZ260B) doesnt have an optical port so I couldn't connect my xbox for audio

My TV only has one HDMI input also

Ignoring most other posts, i see all you need is a receiver of sorts that has an optical input so you can get use of surround sound from your 360's optical output. you'll manage this fine with your budget.

also in these dvd home cinema kits the hmdi is output only so no audio input can be given from the tv so you have to do you'r research

Mattallica;6186660

People on the phone at comet were useless!Sorry to cause all this palava, … People on the phone at comet were useless!Sorry to cause all this palava, from my understanding the newer sony entertianment ones (I.e the step up from the Sony DAV-DZ260B) doesnt have an optical port so I couldn't connect my xbox for audioMy TV only has one HDMI input also

mmm ill have a look on some websites

one on amazon but a bit heavy oon price for a used one

amazon.co.uk/gp/…sed

Mattallica;6186660

People on the phone at comet were useless!Sorry to cause all this palava, … People on the phone at comet were useless!Sorry to cause all this palava, from my understanding the newer sony entertianment ones (I.e the step up from the Sony DAV-DZ260B) doesnt have an optical port so I couldn't connect my xbox for audioMy TV only has one HDMI input also

did u ask for the sony dav-dz361w ? that does have optical, as i said before sony are now fitting their home cinema kits with bravia link, which means the sound can be taken from the tv then played through the 5.1 speakers but again u need a bravia tv

richersounds.com/pro…500

richersounds.com/pro…110

£220 in total

1 x Amp 3 HDMI inputs and 1 x HDMI output, good amp will last you a while £140

Speakers Yamaha £80 quid will do the job until you want better and the amp will still suffice.

Original Poster

LM290;6186692

did u ask for the sony dav-dz361w ? that does have optical, as i said … did u ask for the sony dav-dz361w ? that does have optical, as i said before sony are now fitting their home cinema kits with bravia link, which means the sound can be taken from the tv then played through the 5.1 speakers but again u need a bravia tv

Yeah I asked for the 361w, the guy told me they only had them in leeds ( Im in wolverhampton) and they were 209

Mattallica;6186705

Yeah I asked for the 361w, the guy told me they only had them in leeds ( … Yeah I asked for the 361w, the guy told me they only had them in leeds ( Im in wolverhampton) and they were 209

no chance they can get it over to you?

Original Poster

Alfonse;6186697

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh500/sony-strdh500#http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/yamaha/nsp110/yama-nsp110£220 in total1 x Amp 3 HDMI inputs and 1 x HDMI output, good amp will last you a while £140Speakers Yamaha £80 quid will do the job until you want better and the amp will still suffice.

Thanks for looking for me
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Free money and competition entry @ Circle710
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57571
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45

See more discussions