Surround Sound - Rear speakers not working? Help?

Found 7th Apr 2008
Hi guys I wondered if any of you know what's wrong here.

I picked up a second hand surround sound system, with pro logic. and set it all up, all the speakers are working except the two small rear speakers.

The indicater on the amp is lighting up for them, but they're just not making any noise, even when I use the test signal, all the others work but the rear one's don't.

I've plugged the rear speakers into the front sockets and they work fine, so it's not the speakers themselfs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Speakers
13 Comments

Its probably something in the way the system is set up - are you using it off a computer?

Original Poster

I'm using it on a Panasonic plasma tv. At first I thought it was the way it was setup, but the test sequence which fires each speaker in turn makes a noise for every speaker except the rear speakers. So i'm not so sure.

Banned

TheDoc;1846725

I'm using it on a Panasonic plasma tv. At first I thought it was the way … I'm using it on a Panasonic plasma tv. At first I thought it was the way it was setup, but the test sequence which fires each speaker in turn makes a noise for every speaker except the rear speakers. So i'm not so sure.

try putting the front speakers on the rear outputs?

Original Poster

brb, will try that now...

Original Poster

Nope, doesn't work.

what connection do they use?

Is the test signal on the amplifier itself? If so, it does sound like the rear-channel amplifier *could* be broken...

Original Poster

It just uses phono leads.

When I play a film with surround sound, all the lights on the front flash, eg. front, left, right, and rear speakers, only the rears speakers make no noise.

Yep it's the test signal on the amplifier itself, I guess it's knackered then, lol...

Do you think I should get someone to take a look inside and see if theres a loose wire perhaps?

Thanks for the help btw.

Whats the make/model of the amp? Where did you get it from?

It might be worth asking on avforums...

Original Poster

It's quite old I think, someone gave it me, but they said last time it was on it was all working fine.

On the front it says, Grundig Fine Arts PL45 Dolby Pro Logic...

isit your sound card? my rear didnt work with Creative Audigy until I turned on 3D mode.

Original Poster

nothing to do with soundcard mate, it's plugged into the plasma tv. Thanks for suggestion though

Oic, must read again next time
from posts it looks like the plasma sound sector might be at fault. Have you tried other branded speakers in the rear of the plasma tv?

EDIT: actually a tv could be different from a monitor. Hmm, well since power is going to the rear speakers, im guessing that there is a fault along the way power is transmitted to the speakers. Im probably not helping much here, but you can trust jah128s advice. He knows his stuff.

Original Poster

Artonox;1847028

Oic, must read again next time :Dfrom posts it looks like the plasma … Oic, must read again next time :Dfrom posts it looks like the plasma sound sector might be at fault. Have you tried other branded speakers in the rear of the plasma tv?

I have the audio output from the plasma going into the amplifier which came with the surround sound.

Artonox;1847028

EDIT: actually a tv could be different from a monitor. Hmm, well since … EDIT: actually a tv could be different from a monitor. Hmm, well since power is going to the rear speakers, im guessing that there is a fault along the way power is transmitted to the speakers.

Not sure, I have a hunch that it is the output for the rear speakers on the amp that is knackered.

Who knows? I'll have to get someone to take a look at it I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestions though, rep added. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage66
    2. Best watches under £500?55
    3. What shoes are these?33
    4. Samsung UE50MU6120KXXU or LG 55UJ630V34

See more discussions