Surround Sound suggestions

I've read an awful lot about sound etc. but am still pretty confused

I have just bought a Panasonic 37X10 Plasma, which I am very pleased with.

The sound isn't amazing, but bearable, for a while i've wanted a 5.1 system.

Alongside the TV i also have

xbox360, the HDMI version
Wii
Humax 9150T

I have been looking and reading with a lot of people saying don't buy a package etc. etc. I would love to buy a seperate, and did toy with the idea, but i can't really justify the expense.

I know you get what you pay for but i still think I should be able to get a reasonable system for £200 or so?

I'm completely confused as to how i would set it up with all of my things, and what i could expect to get out of each.

I would be after a system which upscales DVDs well, which i gather most do now?

Obviously a DVD will give DTS/Dolby true 'Surround Sound'. However, for instance, what could i expect from the xbox360 as i use that a fair bit to stream video (obviously it's dependent on the source) and my Humax.

I would really appreciate any help anybody is able to offer

21 Comments

Ac-3 [5.1 Dolby Digital] and DTS from 360 via Optical out

Original Poster

cool, do most/all 5.1 systems have optical inputs then?

What about the Humax? I know it doesn't have HDMI, what sound could be outputted from it?

Can you list the audio outputs from your equipment excluding the optical from the 360 e.g Digital Coax, Digital Optical, Stereo Analogue etc...?

Original Poster

The only output from the humax, other than scart, is RS-232 which i presume has nothing to do with sound :-)

The TV has audio in component, and audio out red and white.

The RS-232 is just for updating the software which you shouldn't need. What audio output does the Wii have?

Original Poster

I can't see anything, but according to IGN.com it has 'left/right analogue channels"

I've got 2 different 5.1 speaker systems. The first is a Logitech Z-5500 that has an analogue 5.1 input (Orange/Black/Green), a Digital Optical input & a Digital Coaxial input. I connect the TV to the speakers using a red & white stereo to 3.5mm cable that plugs into the green socket of the analogue 5.1 input & the 360 would plug into the optical socket.

Upstairs I have a creative 5.1 speaker system that has an analogue 5.1 input in the back of the subwoofer. I've then got a Creative DDTs-100 Decoder with 3 Digital Optical Inputs, 1 Digital Coax Input & 3 Stero (red & white) inputs. This connects to the 5.1 (orange/black/green) input on the back of the subwoofer.

It sounds like you need a speaker system with at least two stereo (red & white) inputs & 1 digital optical input.

Original Poster

Ok cool, i presume the Humax will be connected with Scart? what audio will that carry?

I'm assuming the audio signal from the humax will go to the TV via scart & then from the red & white stereo phono output of the TV.

If you are planning on getting a blu-ray player then you'll have to get something that will be able to accomodate that too.

Original Poster

Painkiller;5457761

I'm assuming the audio signal from the humax will go to the TV via scart … I'm assuming the audio signal from the humax will go to the TV via scart & then from the red & white stereo phono output of the TV.

back to the amp, and then back to the tv via HDMI?

If you are planning on getting a blu-ray player then you'll have to get … If you are planning on getting a blu-ray player then you'll have to get something that will be able to accomodate that too.

Thye Bluray i am looking at has digital optical out, would that be a problem with having the xbox360 optical too?

Am planning on waiting a while for bluray now though

sancho1983;5457805

back to the amp, and then back to the tv via HDMI?

?

Humax >(scart)> TV >(phono)> Decoder > Speakers

Original Poster

Ok yea, i was thinking the transfer is only one way lol

That makes sense now, the Humax would be connected to the Surround Sound via the TV?

sancho1983;5457894

Ok yea, i was thinking the transfer is only one way lolThat makes sense … Ok yea, i was thinking the transfer is only one way lolThat makes sense now, the Humax would be connected to the Surround Sound via the TV?

Yeah, if the TV has speakers on it then I presume it plays through them at the moment. If they were connected to a speakers system it would make a 2x stereo or quadrophonic sound.

EDIT: Do you have a price in ming for the speaker system so I can have a look at some examples of what you could get?

Original Poster

So i wouldn't get Dolby or DTS through the Humax, but would through the 360 and the DVD player, what about the TV?

Would like to spend less than £200 really, but might be able to stretch

Thanks for the help so far BTW

Do you have a dvd player that needs to be connected aswell?

Basically the devices with a 5.1 output that connect directly to the decoder should give you a proper 5.1 surround sound. Anything that comes from a stereo output would have a simulated sound where the rear speakers output the same sound as the front speakers.

Original Poster

Ok, so even the TV would be stereo?

I meant the DVD player that will be built in the 5.1 system :-)

The TV would be stereo but if you were on the 360 or watching a 5.1 movie the audio would be in surround sound from the speakers as the 360 or DVD player would be connected directly to the sound system rather than going through the tv.

Are you after a home cinema system with dvd included then, rather than a 5.1 speaker system?

Original Poster

:oops: sorry yeah, thought i mentioned that

Did look at getting seperates, but was too pricey, and my DVD player is ancient

Something like this look ok?

comet.co.uk/sho…B-K

Ok... that one doesn't have enough audio input sockets (1 optical).

Have you seen this thread on AVForums?
thedvdforums.co.uk/for…846

Original Poster

Have seen this

comet.co.uk/sho…B-K

seems to get good reviews, any good you think?

Original Poster

Or the newer model?

amazon.co.uk/exe…515

Can't find any reviews for it though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Amazon S&S price fix question22
    2. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?33
    3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?11
    4. Three connection45