Surviving on £60 for the month?

Posted 29th Mar
Hi all,

would you think I could survive on £60 from now until 1st April May?

All my monthly bills are paid so I guess it will just be a case of food as we can't get out to do anything

Any cheap, living on a budget ideas, would be greatly appreciated

Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
From the 29th March to 1st April? That's a couple of days!

If you can't manage that on £60 then I think this site isn't right for you!
£60 food budget for 3 days?! I hate to break it to ya pal but I don’t think you’ve got much chance of survival at all
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 29th Mar
31 Comments
Go to the shops a bit later at night and get the reduced but still fresh food and don’t forget most of this food can be frozen
£60 food budget for 3 days?! I hate to break it to ya pal but I don’t think you’ve got much chance of survival at all
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 29th Mar
From the 29th March to 1st April? That's a couple of days!

If you can't manage that on £60 then I think this site isn't right for you!
If the budget is for next few days then you’re living standard is too high for frugal lifestyle. If its for whole of april, you still could survive on £60 by bulk cooking and freezing
I’m guessing you have some random crap in your cupboards and fridge, so you could easily survive without spending any of it
Got to be a typo surely! I don't think it could physically spend that in 3 days... Online is different matter
No chance of surviving all 3 days , you're best just donating your last £60 to a charity then at least you'll die with a clear conscience
ChelseaRae29/03/2020 09:49

£60 food budget for 3 days?! I hate to break it to ya pal but I don’t th …£60 food budget for 3 days?! I hate to break it to ya pal but I don’t think you’ve got much chance of survival at all

Sorry I meant 1st of May
Krs-won29/03/2020 09:50

From the 29th March to 1st April? That's a couple of days! If …From the 29th March to 1st April? That's a couple of days! If you can't manage that on £60 then I think this site isn't right for you!

Sorry I meant till 1st of May
xPabloz29/03/2020 09:57

If the budget is for next few days then you’re living standard is too high …If the budget is for next few days then you’re living standard is too high for frugal lifestyle. If its for whole of april, you still could survive on £60 by bulk cooking and freezing

chocci29/03/2020 09:56

Comment deleted

Sorry I meant till 1st of May I ain't no millionaire
save-me-money29/03/2020 10:02

LOl! With being stuck at home I'm also losing track of time / date.
But seriously if you have a family and want to survive on £60 for a month you'll better get prepared for some home cooking and freezing meals, buy in bulk lots of vegetables and a large joint of meat and get cooking.
Many years ago when we were skint and surviving on benefits we were still stupid enough to waste money on smoking and mainly lived on cheap Aldi beans,eggs and potatoes and the only meat we ate was cheap Turkey legs and pork joints.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 29th Mar
save-me-money29/03/2020 10:00

Sorry I meant 1st of May

That makes more sense but a little more context would be helpful, how many people does it need to feed? Do you have much food in the house you could use? If you really think you’ll struggle I’d suggest trying to use a local food bank or calling one of your providers (gas, electric, mobile etc) and explaining your financial hardship. Companies are being very understanding with the current situation, I’m sure you could arrange a payment plan to spread some of your costs which would leave you more money for food. It’s hard enough trying to get basics/staple items right now, normally I’d say it’s do-able but budget shopping when options are limited wouldn’t be the easiest in the current climate.
save-me-money29/03/2020 10:02

Sorry I meant till 1st of May I ain't no millionaire

That’s less than £15 a week, you will basically be on cereal, noodles, bread and water. I don’t think you could get through over a month on £60 on anything healthy. You could go on a rice and beans diet
How many people? I could easily survive on £60 a month assuming my cupboards weren't bare at the start, ie already have gravy, some tinned stuff, some frozen.
A 25kg sack of potatoes for around a tenner is a good start
JohnnyRoller29/03/2020 10:11

That’s less than £15 a week, you will basically be on cereal, noodles, br …That’s less than £15 a week, you will basically be on cereal, noodles, bread and water. I don’t think you could get through over a month on £60 on anything healthy. You could go on a rice and beans diet

Wahoo, rice and beans here I come

life's goooooood

Thanks JR

All depends how many people, if it’s for yourself then that’s manageable. Milk is £1.10 for 2 ltr and could last a week, some £1 frozen meals and smart prices fresh food to make meals.
Veg is cheap than you think, but meat prices has gone up unless your shopping in supermarkets for that too.
Good luck...the situation with food essentials at the moment is not helping with anyone who does have a strict weekly/monthly food budget as it’s very hard to stick to these kind of budgets at the mo especially when you might have to end up spending more for an item than usually would due to taking what is available at supermarkets....only myself and my son in my household and I have even seen an increase to my weekly shop due to the current situation...hope you manage to make it work and don’t become to destitute...only solution...shop as wide as you possibly can when doing it...good luck(y)
save-me-money29/03/2020 10:25

Wahoo, rice and beans here I comelife's goooooood Thanks JR …Wahoo, rice and beans here I comelife's goooooood Thanks JR

Go easy on the beans, loo paper is in short supply.
Whole milk. A pint of whole milk each day will be more healthy and far more nutritious than, say, bread and rice. A 4-pint carton of milk costs £1.10 at Tesco, two of these will last a week. So that's £2.20 per week. Over a month, that's just under £10.

Supplement with an orange a day for vitamin C and dietary fibre; 30p each at Tesco, that's £2.10 per week or or just under £10 per month again.

Total: just under £20 for the month. You have £40 left over, spend it wisely.
clostridium_botulinum29/03/2020 10:30

Whole milk. A pint of whole milk each day will be more healthy and far …Whole milk. A pint of whole milk each day will be more healthy and far more nutritious than, say, bread and rice. A 4-pint carton of milk costs £1.10 at Tesco, two of these will last a week. So that's £2.20 per week. Over a month, that's just under £10.Supplement with an orange a day for vitamin C and dietary fibre; 30p each at Tesco, that's £2.10 per week or or just under £10 per month again.Total: just under £20 for the month. You have £40 left over, spend it wisely.

Yeah, spent it wisely by visiting the HUKD website to spot deals on things (which are good) but you wouldn't otherwise entertain purchasing.

"Stare into my eyes, you want this stuff, you must resist..."
Just imagine you`re in the jungle on I`m a celeb , easy .
1st I would suggest writing down all th food you have starting with main items then side items and so on. On a separate page pick out main, side / veg 1 = 1 meal. Continue on, if you find a day yr short something stick it on a shopping list.
As you go on you may find you run short on mains so then will have to add them to yr shopping list. Do the same for breakfast and snacks and suppers, keep it simple (we had cheese and crackers for supper last night) and remember you can cut back portion size.
I menu plan a month at a time and just buy the fresh stuff weekly and it saves so much money as you are going to eat what's in your cupboards instead of mindlessly shopping. Remember to use shortest dates 1st when you do yr plan. Stick it on fridge so everyone knows what they can eat that day and what they cant as its allocated for another day.
Remember you can substitute costly meat in a lot of recipes, veg in a curry, mixed beans in enchiladas etc. Oh and lastly try and remind people who are picky ie I dont 'fancy' that, food is fuel, you dont have to fancy it as long as it does its job.
Good luck
i would be fine with £60 a month for food if it came to it. hubby on the other hand would use up this budget in two days, most of which would go on alcohol!
If you can get fresh root veg do a big batch of casserole-we do this once a month. Have it with dumplings first night, then with mash next night, then blitzed with a blender for soup last. Goes a long way and relatively cheap.
Batch of chilli-tin of tomatoes, couple tins of kidney/mixed beans, chilli powder serve with rice also cheap.
Bread divide up into 2/4 slices and freeze on day of purchase.
If you eat meat a pack of mince-maybe make a couple of small burgers, some meatballs for spag bol (easy again tinned toms and herbs) and add some to the chilli?
Also don't forget you can freeze milk so fill up a couple of ice trays and you have milk for tea/coffee ready to go instantly.
I personally wouldn't bother with cereals as they use too much milk-better off with an apple or orange etc.
It's deffo doable just try and plan ahead with simple recipes and items that you could expect to find on the supermarket shelves-good luck.
That would be tough but as others have said it will depend on what you already have and what you buy with the money. Nutritious food is important but under current circumstances not as important as ensuring you at least have something to eat each day. I would go for rice, pasta, some cheap fresh or frozen veg, HTC milk, flour and tinned food like tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, tuna etc all of those tins (bar tuna) can be bought for between 20p-35p a tin and will last.

If you need meat the best place to get it would be your local market/butchers because its cheaper than the supermarket and fresher. Its just about getting as much as you can to last as long as you can so you don't need to leave the house too often.

Also if you're paranoid like me then tinned and packet foods are the safest option right now as I constantly worry that if I fill out my fridge/freezer with food then it would all quickly go to waste if the fridge freezer suddenly packs in.

And a last very important point is check all your food use-by dates and use what will go off first to prevent waste. You can freeze milk and bread and also eggs, crack them open and put in to muffin/small cake trays and they'll last about a month in the freezer beyond their use-by date.
If you have a freezer you can try getting reduced bread, meat and veg. I have an excellent Waitrose and Co-op near me and because I know the times they reduce stuff I regularly top up. My freezer is full of it, regularly in rotation. £60 is more than enough for me, helps if you know how to cook in portions so that nothing goes to waste. Keep away from ready meals, it's a false economy. A cheap chicken from lidl for £3 can last you four days easy, spuds are always on offer, bag of rice good for 10 meals is about 50p from sainsburys.
Supermarkets still reduce food at the end of day (I've noticed thay they have done it earlier, and there is more of it) , at least round here. Watch your calorie intake. Sitting around doing nothing uses less calories - have a look and see how little food is needed to make up 1500 calories. nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/understanding-calories/
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 29th Mar
This guy might give you some ideas!

£60 is doable for two people - you just can’t be too picky or fuss about eating repetitive meals.
Yellow stickered items if you go at the right time always keeps my freezer filled with emergency food.
Right now I buy a big bag of spinach and use tofu as my protein. Carbs are there to make you feel fuller sure, but if you eat less, after a few days your stomach will shrink and you’ll feel full anyway. Who knows? You’ll might get that beach bod before you know it.
Christ. Has it come to this?
Giving starvation tips on HUKD!
Edited by: "Hadouken!" 30th Mar
Op, do you know anyone close who works for the NHS and have a company shop near you?
Jack Monroe, cookingonabootstrap.com
Never tried any of the recipes so I can't vouch for them, but I have heard of this website for people doing less well off. I think they actually mentioned her on a news website/paper recently for making more recipes because of current circumstances. Have a look, it could give you inspiration.

For tips, I would recommend cooking things you can easily do with vegetables only or meals you can bulk out with vegetables such as vegetable curry, chilli, soups with leftovers etc. You could cook a whole chicken and have a hot dinner that day, then with leftovers you could have cold cut chicken/chicken salad sandwiches, a chicken pasta salad you could store in the fridge, chicken curry etc. you could even keep the bones to make stock for chicken soup. Or you could make chilli one day and have leftover chilli the next day on jacket potatoes, burritos, nachos etc. For breakfast you could buy a bag of shop brand porridge oats and make it with milk or water for all the family, but let them put in their own frozen/fresh pieces of fruit or jam. It should be fairly filling and inexpensive.

Pre-made/prepared items are convenient but will likely always cost you more, whereas making your own food will keep your mind and hands busy, also. If this applies to your situation, you could get the family/kids involved with it, too.

Personally, I would also add to never shop when hungry, and to try to make a meal plan for each week and to not divert from it with having a tight budget. Don't take anyone shopping with you that sees things and impulse buys items/food, or children if they throw a fit for what they want/until they get what they want.

Also, try not to boredom eat if you or anyone you are living with are susceptible to that.

Edit: Check to see what foods can actually be frozen to save food wastage. Another poster mentioned milk & bread. You can also freeze things like grated cheese too.
Edited by: "Becks22" 30th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions