Expired

Suspended from work

Found 25th Apr
Just after some advice for my friend really. I’ve tried to look into it for her but it’s a tricky one. She works in a small convenience store as a supervisor. She was told by her area manager a few months ago to heavily discount the short dated stock rather than writing it off as it makes store look bad. Also to scan extra coupons to deduct more money off to pay for the ‘write offs’. So the store had some sort of audit and the coupon people are saying they haven’t received the correct amount of coupons so it doesn’t tally up. The majority of this was done on her till account ( think that’s what it’s called ) so they asked her. She said yes it was her as she was told to do it. They suspended her. She was asked to go in the following day for a meeting with area manager and a note taker. Area manager who said it is apparently denying ever saying it. Hoping to give her some advice from you guys. She has her disciplinary hearing on Thursday with another area manager
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
How would it benefit her by doing the extra coupons? It only benefits her manager in making him look like he is running a more efficient store.
46 Comments
Probably not what they want to hear but Without evidence it’s a tough one and told or not told your friend still done it and it’s all logged.

the games not straight, if she thinks it’ll likely be a dismissal and doesn’t want to have that against her she could just resign before the meeting?

or she could tell exactly what went on to the other area manager (who likely does the same at their stores and plays a round of golf on Tuesdayswith the other area manager).
Get them to check the store CCTV and if it has audio recording too
Dannyrobbo5 m ago

Probably not what they want to hear but Without evidence it’s a tough one a …Probably not what they want to hear but Without evidence it’s a tough one and told or not told your friend still done it and it’s all logged.the games not straight, if she thinks it’ll likely be a dismissal and doesn’t want to have that against her she could just resign before the meeting?or she could tell exactly what went on to the other area manager (who likely does the same at their stores and plays a round of golf on Tuesdayswith the other area manager).

I forgot to say in first post that she obviously got upset in the initial first meeting and resigned but they said no we are not accepting your resignation as it’s gross misconduct
rimalpatel0073 m ago

Get them to check the store CCTV and if it has audio recording too

They have CCTV of her putting extra coupons through but she was told to do it in the back office which has no CCTV
Im guessing this scumbag of a manager told her verbally so their is no evidence of it?
Yeah unless that information was relayed to her either in writing or via email and from the area manager's email account then unfortunately she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I've seen a few colleagues get dismissed under similar circumstances (boss gave incorrect instructions etc.) and each time it has ended with a resignation or sacking.
_Whatever_25th Apr

Im guessing this scumbag of a manager told her verbally so their is no …Im guessing this scumbag of a manager told her verbally so their is no evidence of it?

Yes just said it to her in the back office on one of her store visits
Richard_Richard18 m ago

Yeah unless that information was relayed to her either in writing or via …Yeah unless that information was relayed to her either in writing or via email and from the area manager's email account then unfortunately she doesn't have a leg to stand on.I've seen a few colleagues get dismissed under similar circumstances (boss gave incorrect instructions etc.) and each time it has ended with a resignation or sacking.

Does anyone know if she’s allowed to resign? She said ok I’ll give you my resignation and they refused stating not accepting it, needs investigating as it’s gross misconduct
speedy38697 m ago

Does anyone know if she’s allowed to resign? She said ok I’ll give you my r …Does anyone know if she’s allowed to resign? She said ok I’ll give you my resignation and they refused stating not accepting it, needs investigating as it’s gross misconduct

What is the point of them not accepting it if they are looking for a sacking anyway? Just so they can say you're sacked to her face I suppose.

If it was me I wouldn't go to the second meeting, she could apologise profusely and say she must have misunderstood the instructions and maybe she'll get away with a final warning if she attends. But I wouldn't bother and just wait for the termination letter in the post, even if she was let off this time they'd be out for her blood and any little further slip up will lead to dismissal eventually.
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 25th Apr
It's likely the Are manager instructed people in other stores to do the same thing, can she reach out to a nearby store?
speedy38691 h, 10 m ago

Does anyone know if she’s allowed to resign? She said ok I’ll give you my r …Does anyone know if she’s allowed to resign? She said ok I’ll give you my resignation and they refused stating not accepting it, needs investigating as it’s gross misconduct

They cant refuse the resignation. If she wants to quit she can - however that shows guilt and will go againsed your friend.
speedy38691 h, 19 m ago

Yes just said it to her in the back office on one of her store visits

It all seems so fishy to me - seems the area manager wants their bonus and isnt on target to get it.

All retailers have a percentage of markdowns-waste.

Heavily discount it if possible refuce it to pennies if have to. not your friends fault company sends in exessive amounts of stock. Cant force customers to buy any stock they dont want - discounted or not. I personally would have refused - especially saying back office where no cameras.

As someone else has said, maybe area manager had used this process in other stores. But they also may have already covered their tracks.

Ask your friend to fight it. If they get sacked they have a right to appeal.
If she no longer wants to work for the company but has to attend the meeting, help her write another letter of resignation clearly putting the reason on her area manager and stating that because of his actions she can no longer work for a company that employs such a member of staff that uses such underhand tactics to make their store performances appear better than they actually are. Tell her to hand the letter to the other area manager at the start of the meeting, let them read it, tell her to stick to her guns and not to engage in any ‘resolvement’ and leave.
I once had a scumbag General manager who asked two members of staff to bring some wine to her office. The problem is that the wine belonged to a company having an event at my workplace ( at the time).

They caught the staff members and got they sacked them for "stealing". The GM didn't move an eyelash to help them and pretended that nothing had happened.

So two people doing their job on probably on minimum wage got fired. Somebody on £80k plus bonus was unaffected.

The good thing is that karma is a female dog.
That same GM got fired few years later as she obligated some staff members to serve wine to some V.I.P that were from that belief that they don't touch alcohol.
She could resign, straight away they can’t stop you. Take witness with you as your allowed and just resign make sure you record it on a phone as evidence.
Sorry for your friend. I think it's incredibly unfair for her to get dismissed when she did what she was asked to do.

Hopefully the scumbag who got her into this mess will pay for it somehow at some point.

I don't have advice but just wanted to say that.
Personally I wouldn't be too bothered about losing a job with a scumbag company that can treat its staff so badly, but your friend's reputation is at stake and the way this pans out could affect her future job prospects. For that reason I would suggest she sees a solicitor before the next meeting. Get the solicitor to write a letter explaining her version of events and let her present this to the panel at the meeting. Maybe the solicitor could also advise what she should and shouldn't say in case she incriminates herself, the fact that she has sought legal advice should be enough to let the panel know that she takes the matter and her good reputation seriously..
It might be worth phoning ACAS for some advice - 0300 123 1100
How would it benefit her by doing the extra coupons? It only benefits her manager in making him look like he is running a more efficient store.
Thanks everyone. Just met her on my lunch break and showed her all your replies, she was very grateful. She is going to give Acas a call this afternoon. They are saying that she abused the Till system even though she didn’t profit from it. She admitted it straight away as it’s all clear on her till account so they know she’s guilty. Sadly for her I think it will result in a dismissal. Hopefully she will get some good advice later. Thanks everyone, will keep you updated. Bless her, she’s a sweet innocent girl too, just did what she was told
She should have been offered to have somebody there with her in the meeting like someone from a union if she's got one or someone else from the company to help her not feel intimidated. Also report the birch that told her to do the voucher thing. Best of luck to her
She needs her contract to find the notice periods for resignation, if these are being adhered to they can’t reject a resignation it doesn’t work like that. Include all reasons in the letter.

if there’s no notice period or she doesn’t have a written contract then providing she has worked there for a month then the notice period is a week.
Bigfootpete1 h, 46 m ago

How would it benefit her by doing the extra coupons? It only benefits her …How would it benefit her by doing the extra coupons? It only benefits her manager in making him look like he is running a more efficient store.

I also thought this.

The person conducting the disciplinary needs to be asked "Why would she do this off her own back?" Surely they would realise that it's not something she would do if she gained no benefit from it?
Edited by: "hoojie" 25th Apr
hoojie59 m ago

I also thought this.The person conducting the disciplinary needs to be …I also thought this.The person conducting the disciplinary needs to be asked "Why would she do this off her own back?" Surely they would realise that it's not something she would do if she gained no benefit from it?

I also thought this but wondered whether as supervisor she also had a potential vested interest in the shop meeting targets etc.
Skaman57 m ago

I also thought this but wondered whether as supervisor she also had a …I also thought this but wondered whether as supervisor she also had a potential vested interest in the shop meeting targets etc.

hoojie1 h, 57 m ago

I also thought this.The person conducting the disciplinary needs to be …I also thought this.The person conducting the disciplinary needs to be asked "Why would she do this off her own back?" Surely they would realise that it's not something she would do if she gained no benefit from it?

You are both missing the point, the second area manager has likely told their staff the same thing. Their boss asks all area managers to to investigate possible voucher fraud from the results of a recent audit. To complete this investigation report that they have isolated incidents and have followed procedure against staff involved (what the the outcome). Investigation closed and it doesn’t happen again.

sad but it’s how it works vested interests or not. Middle management stick together
Dannyrobbo18 m ago

You are both missing the point, the second area manager has likely told …You are both missing the point, the second area manager has likely told their staff the same thing. Their boss asks all area managers to to investigate possible voucher fraud from the results of a recent audit. To complete this investigation report that they have isolated incidents and have followed procedure against staff involved (what the the outcome). Investigation closed and it doesn’t happen again.sad but it’s how it works vested interests or not. Middle management stick together

Not missing the point at all, and I agree with you. My point (maybe not clearly) was that they could spin things to show that the employee had a reason for the voucher fraud and therefore the defence of blaming the manager wouldn't stand up.
Come on name and shame the company
I would advise against quiting, that shows a form of guilt IMO and the real folk at fault go unpunished to continue this (and other?) practice(s).

I would say to go through with the meeting, taking a witness, BUT beforehand can other stores be contacted to see if this instruction is normal, if so can evidence/witnesses be sought..?
If not, stick to the truth, unfortunately as someone has said previous, the other area manager will be biased towards his co-manager, and may well instruct his staff similarly.

By instructing staff to 'bend' rules in this way is a from of bullying, and normally not taken lightly by large companies.
Bear in mind, an appeal should be heard in front of the area manager(s) superior, who may not appreciate managers acting in this way, at worst an investigation should take place, as the employee has made an accusation against the manager.
Edited by: "andynicol" 25th Apr
I really can’t name & shame, I’ve promised my friend I’d try to help her get advice from you lovely lot but anonymously. It’s still very fresh and wouldn’t want anything getting back to her company
33696857-8MlIx.jpg
cliosport6539 m ago

Actually that incorrect a company can refuse a resignation if a person is …Actually that incorrect a company can refuse a resignation if a person is under investigation.

Sorry your wrong

33696857-dl5h2.jpg
Edited by: "Caroline_1993" 25th Apr
cliosport6544 m ago

Actually that incorrect a company can refuse a resignation if a person is …Actually that incorrect a company can refuse a resignation if a person is under investigation.

If your going to give advice make sure its correct first as your giving wrong information
speedy386913 h, 13 m ago

As long as she formally submits it, they cannot legally refuse her resignation at all.
Toptrumpet13 h, 44 m ago

If she no longer wants to work for the company but has to attend the …If she no longer wants to work for the company but has to attend the meeting, help her write another letter of resignation clearly putting the reason on her area manager and stating that because of his actions she can no longer work for a company that employs such a member of staff that uses such underhand tactics to make their store performances appear better than they actually are. Tell her to hand the letter to the other area manager at the start of the meeting, let them read it, tell her to stick to her guns and not to engage in any ‘resolvement’ and leave.

Actually I would send the letter to the other area manager and one via recorded delivery to HR at company headquarters. I would state that you were bullied/pressured into it by the area manager and if they don’t accept your resignation as you just want to draw a line under it, then you will go to the media about the bullying and harassment you have been subjected to by the area manager and that the company failed in its duty to take you seriously and investigate your complaint. Additionally the current process they are following is not in accordance with their procedures as you have stated an allegation of wrong doing by another member of staff and they have not investigated thoroughly even though it has direct bearing on your case, therefore any outcome that results in a dismissal has reasonable grounds to make a case via employment tribunal for unfair dismissal.

It’ll make HR have brown trousers.....

An additional thing maybe to do is for her to go to the doctors and get signed off with stress and mention the bullying and intimidation she has been subjected to at work send the sick note to HR with the letter of complaint about the area manager and tell them it’s has an impact on your health.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 26th Apr
Please keep us updated on this.
My advice after reading all the other advice would be to tell your friend to maintain that she stood to make absolutely no gain from doing what she did and therefore the instruction to do this came from the area manager.
As for miss use of the till ?
Is that gross misconduct ? NO.
Tell her to definitely take a work colleague or union rep in to the meeting, pre write some notes and say everything nice and clear.

Good luck
If it were me, I would go to ACAS/Solicitor seeking advice; but in the meantime resign (as is her right)..and then put a claim in for Constructive Dismissal. ..Copy resignation letter to CEO, Chairman of said dodgy convenience store.
Please tell your friend to check her contract as she might get paid while suspended , also be careful who she talks to about this matter. good luck
The person did what they were told by their manager. To any of you working, your power is technology and the use of recording on mobile phones to document accurate minutes. You can call your minutes verbatim and send a firm but cold warning to HR that your account will be 100% inadmissible in court. This prime example highlights how vulnerable employees are when mutual trust is broken because senior staff continuously fail to accept their faults and are protected by unions and higher management and HR. This is the society we live in, pure greed and incompetence because of the state of the society in the UK.
Edited by: "zcgby03" 26th Apr
Just wanted to update you all. Met my friend from her hearing earlier & she was dismissed. They said that she profited from these errors as it inflated her monthly bonus. So angry for her. My only thinking now for her is to appeal this but thinking they will close ranks. They definitely didn’t follow procedure as didn’t tell her to the start of the meeting that she could have someone with her for support & she wasn’t given any documents to review beforehand so was bombarded with pieces of paper in the meeting
speedy38696 m ago

Just wanted to update you all. Met my friend from her hearing earlier & …Just wanted to update you all. Met my friend from her hearing earlier & she was dismissed. They said that she profited from these errors as it inflated her monthly bonus. So angry for her. My only thinking now for her is to appeal this but thinking they will close ranks. They definitely didn’t follow procedure as didn’t tell her to the start of the meeting that she could have someone with her for support & she wasn’t given any documents to review beforehand so was bombarded with pieces of paper in the meeting

Seems like they refused her resignation unlawfully. This surely should be something she needs to raise when appealing.
speedy38691 h, 5 m ago

Just wanted to update you all. Met my friend from her hearing earlier & …Just wanted to update you all. Met my friend from her hearing earlier & she was dismissed. They said that she profited from these errors as it inflated her monthly bonus. So angry for her. My only thinking now for her is to appeal this but thinking they will close ranks. They definitely didn’t follow procedure as didn’t tell her to the start of the meeting that she could have someone with her for support & she wasn’t given any documents to review beforehand so was bombarded with pieces of paper in the meeting

You said earlier that your friend didn't profit from this, but have now said she received a monthly bonus, potentially from this coupon thing?

Does put a different slant on it IMO, as I said previously, she needs to stick to the truth and hope that her managers' superior sees her view when chairing the appeal, importantly, is there any friends in other stores who could verify that this is a common practice..?
Edited by: "andynicol" 26th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants