Swapping an am/fm car radio to a dab radio question

Posted 23rd Feb
I would like to replace a fm/am car radio to a new dab radio.

Do I need to replace the existing car aerial which is a wrapped sting aerial?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Yes you will need a new aerial, what car is ot
Funnily enough a 207cc 2009 1.6 Peugeot. We bought it to have fun with over the summer.
deleted8085823/02/2020 23:52

I had this one fitted as part of a new DAB unit installation. It gave …I had this one fitted as part of a new DAB unit installation. It gave superb reception.

Did you install that yourself & how easy is it?
Willy_Wonka23/02/2020 23:59

Did you install that yourself & how easy is it?

No, Halfords did it with the head unit. I know people knock them, and I might have been lucky, but they did a superb job of mine. I can't see it being too difficult running it down the side pillar and in round the back of the glove box.
deleted8085824/02/2020 00:06

No, Halfords did it with the head unit. I know people knock them, and I …No, Halfords did it with the head unit. I know people knock them, and I might have been lucky, but they did a superb job of mine. I can't see it being too difficult running it down the side pillar and in round the back of the glove box.

How much did they charge you for fitting? Am I right in thinking it just adheres to the windscreen?
Willy_Wonka24/02/2020 00:10

How much did they charge you for fitting? Am I right in thinking it just …How much did they charge you for fitting? Am I right in thinking it just adheres to the windscreen?

I bought the head unit and a fitting kit. The fitting kit included the aerial, iso adaptor lead thing, facia adaptor and fitting, and it was £40.

39970687-zLXyn.jpg
Edited by: "deeky" 24th Feb
If you are fitting yourself, personally I'd suggest the Kenwood JVC DAB A1 (link below) as the one suggested above will do the same job but requires a permanent live from memory, the Kenwood one takes the live from the single cable, I found this out when installing for a mate, both will ultimately do the same job though

Just makes installing a bit easier,

rover.ebay.com/rov…392
Edited by: "youldyboy" 24th Feb
youldyboy24/02/2020 00:12

If you are fitting yourself, personally I'd suggest the Kenwood JVC DAB A1 …If you are fitting yourself, personally I'd suggest the Kenwood JVC DAB A1 (link below) as the one suggested above will do the same job but requires a permanent live from memory, the Kenwood one takes the live from the single cable, I found this out when installing for a mate, both will ultimately do the same job thoughJust makes installing a bit easier, rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F1505128392

I think you're correct. When I disconnected it there was an extra wire joined into the harness.
We have bought a Sony DSX A510BD Car Stereo.
youldyboy24/02/2020 00:12

If you are fitting yourself, personally I'd suggest the Kenwood JVC DAB A1 …If you are fitting yourself, personally I'd suggest the Kenwood JVC DAB A1 (link below) as the one suggested above will do the same job but requires a permanent live from memory, the Kenwood one takes the live from the single cable, I found this out when installing for a mate, both will ultimately do the same job thoughJust makes installing a bit easier, rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F1505128392

So that one is a plug & play. IE nothing to do other than plug it in & feed it though to the windscreen?
Willy_Wonka24/02/2020 00:32

So that one is a plug & play. IE nothing to do other than plug it in & …So that one is a plug & play. IE nothing to do other than plug it in & feed it though to the windscreen?

Yep it connects straight into the DAB aerial port, worth checking all connections before ordering, but as far as I know all should be good

I've used one on a VW DAB headunit (OEM) and a Kenwood aftermarket
Edited by: "youldyboy" 24th Feb
Willy_Wonka24/02/2020 00:26

We have bought a Sony DSX A510BD Car Stereo.

Just cancelled that order because it is based on Windows 7 & Sony say it is not supported anymore.
Willy_Wonka23/02/2020 23:50

Funnily enough a 207cc 2009 1.6 Peugeot. We bought it to have fun with …Funnily enough a 207cc 2009 1.6 Peugeot. We bought it to have fun with over the summer.

Hi, just a thought on this, I used to have a 207 (loved it) but I'm not sure whether you can actually swap out the radio as it controls a lot of the car functions (clock , trip computer, even configuring stuff like rear wiper behaviour) - or at least you might lose these functions if you do.
I fitted a new head unit and DAB aerial in my daughter's Citroen C1. Loads of videos showing how to replace head unit so check it out for your car.
Bought a set of plastic levers from eBay (under £2) and a DAB aerial for £5. Head unit was a black Friday deal Pioneer DEH-X7800DAB for £89.

The issue with constant live for preset memory was solved by switching over 2 cables (YouTube again). Removal of side pillar for aerial and hands free mic is pretty easy and then you have access to hide all cables behind the dash.
Replaced the speakers too, nothing flash, just better than the standard fitted ones.

I should also add that although I think I know what to do I'm a bit ham-fisted so if anyone's going to break stuff/electrocute themselves it'll be me.
Edited by: "u664541" 24th Feb
Whatever stereo you buy you’ll need a Dab Aerial.

I got a cheap one off eBay for £6.99. Works perfect. I had to remove my a pillar cover and fixed the ‘earthing strip’ to the bodywork and the aerial sits on the window. Picks up all the stations with no issues.
Have you got a big mobile data plan? If so you could just use tunein radio app and listen to anything in the world? If I was going to change a head unit now, I would spend the extra and get one that has Apple CarPlay or android auto. Changing stereo in Peugeot’s is easy but you need to find a ignition live power feed.
Edited by: "Wadda" 25th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants