Expired

Swapping energy provider... uSwitch or go direct?!

Found 24th Feb 2014
Hi everyone.

I'm about to change energy provider. I checked uSwitch and found I can save £175 per year by moving to OVO (from Scottish Power).

I checked OVO's own site, and that said I could save £204 per year.

With OVO having prices per kWh, I don't understand how its different.

Also, I could get £24 QuidCo by going through uSwitch, but obviously it seems better to take the £29 per year additional saving?!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
What's the standing rate and price per unit with each deal for gas and electric.

Compare the 2 yourself against your annual usage (or post here for someone to work out what's best for you)
Edited by: "Astec123" 24th Feb 2014
I don't think the estimated savings figure can be that correct with Uswitch in your example. Look at the tariff details from the two sites and see if they are the same.
deleted434948
Astec123

What's the standing rate and price per unit with each deal for gas and … What's the standing rate and price per unit with each deal for gas and electric.Compare the 2 yourself against your annual usage (or post here for someone to work out what's best for you)

I entered the exact same annual usage information into uSwitch as I did the OVO site, and OVO's own came out with an annual £29 better saving.

uSwith OVO £175
OVO Direct £204

I was wondering if uSwitch has a rider on the the companies it has on there, like everyone who registers via them pay them a fee or something? That would explain the difference I suppose.
deleted434948
mutley1

I don't think the estimated savings figure can be that correct with … I don't think the estimated savings figure can be that correct with Uswitch in your example. Look at the tariff details from the two sites and see if they are the same.

Just checked mate.

Standing charges and price per kilowatt hour on everything is exactly the same!!
JusticeForThe96

Just checked mate.Standing charges and price per kilowatt hour on … Just checked mate.Standing charges and price per kilowatt hour on everything is exactly the same!!

You can always work out the savings yourself from the information that you have entered and see which site is more accurate.
JusticeForThe96

I entered the exact same annual usage information into uSwitch as I did … I entered the exact same annual usage information into uSwitch as I did the OVO site, and OVO's own came out with an annual £29 better saving.uSwith OVO £175OVO Direct £204I was wondering if uSwitch has a rider on the the companies it has on there, like everyone who registers via them pay them a fee or something? That would explain the difference I suppose.

If the price for units and standing charges are the same then go with the one that offers the best return in terms of promotions eg quidco, instant credit etc as they will cost the same either way.

I have no idea why if you provide the same figures for their calculations they have come up with a difference in overall savings as they should be equal if the tarriff remains the same between the 2. It's likely going to be a case of one site rounds up/down the figures you provide and the other doesnt or that one site rounds your figures up and the other down. eg 1152 becomes 1200 with one and 1100 with the other.
deleted434948
Astec123

If the price for units and standing charges are the same then go with the … If the price for units and standing charges are the same then go with the one that offers the best return in terms of promotions eg quidco, instant credit etc as they will cost the same either way. I have no idea why if you provide the same figures for their calculations they have come up with a difference in overall savings as they should be equal if the tarriff remains the same between the 2. It's likely going to be a case of one site rounds up/down the figures you provide and the other doesnt or that one site rounds your figures up and the other down. eg 1152 becomes 1200 with one and 1100 with the other.

Same here mate, no clue.

I agree with you. If the figures are the same, I'll take the best upfront. Using QuidCo, £24 bonus to top up my balance on there and make the savings over the year.

Thanks for helping out.
I'm with flow energy no price increases since they set up last april, they like you to put your meter readings at the end of every month then your bill is updated i'm very happy for now
Is the tariff you're seeing in the results on Uswitch the same as the tariff you're looking at on ovo's site? They probably have two or three?
I LOVE Ovo, have been with them several years , no big increases, friendly smaller company, interest paid on credit balances and they remind me to submit my own meter readings regularly. Chatty online newsletter too, no complaints at all and would not consider switching.
deleted434948
northeastkev

Is the tariff you're seeing in the results on Uswitch the same as the … Is the tariff you're seeing in the results on Uswitch the same as the tariff you're looking at on ovo's site? They probably have two or three?

Just standard for comparison. Came out the same. If they have a cheaper fixed rate or something I will go for that, but if it's already saving me between £175-£204 per year then i'm chuffed. I will maximise any savings of course.

Sunderand

I LOVE Ovo, have been with them several years , no big increases, … I LOVE Ovo, have been with them several years , no big increases, friendly smaller company, interest paid on credit balances and they remind me to submit my own meter readings regularly. Chatty online newsletter too, no complaints at all and would not consider switching.

That's good to hear. The only other reports i've heard thus far are "cheap as chips" which was my main goal. So this is a mega bonus.
I swapped to first utility from scottish power through quidco. I did the comparison thing with uswitch/moneysupermarket/comapethemarket but quidco were offering £50 cashback which i received last week(after 3 months). I saved about £20 a month dual fuel but it turned out scottish power had overcharged me by £260 so i got a nice cheque back off them but it turns out i never saved much. the extra £50 quidco was a bonus thou
Nice to read this gained some knowledge..... now to figure out my bill !!!!
I'm with Npower and they are having problems putting me on DD for some reason ... This has been happening since November2013
deleted434948
centurion

I swapped to first utility from scottish power through quidco. I did the … I swapped to first utility from scottish power through quidco. I did the comparison thing with uswitch/moneysupermarket/comapethemarket but quidco were offering £50 cashback which i received last week(after 3 months). I saved about £20 a month dual fuel but it turned out scottish power had overcharged me by £260 so i got a nice cheque back off them but it turns out i never saved much. the extra £50 quidco was a bonus thou

Same here, £180 in credit, although I've chosen OVO as they were a further £25 cheaper per year than First Utility, but I only got £24 QuidCo...

gill21

Nice to read this gained some knowledge..... now to figure out my bill … Nice to read this gained some knowledge..... now to figure out my bill !!!! :pI'm with Npower and they are having problems putting me on DD for some reason ... This has been happening since November2013

Glad it could help. I think paying DD makes it cheaper for your, less admin charges etc, so keep trying with them! Or move! haha
go via mse energy club £30 cashback. did it with OVO.
deleted434948
4cx250f

go via mse energy club £30 cashback. did it with OVO.

Too late!
I got an email today saying that i was overpaying on my bill. The £141pm has just been cut to £86pm with first utility so compared to the £164pm i was paying scottish power im almost paying half as much now. Maybe my new boiler and a+ rated TV is now paying for itself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants