Groups

Swedish rape warrant for Wikileaks' Assange cancelled

27 Comments

21 August 2010

???

archer1204

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

​that's an article from 2010...

I might be missing something obvious here, but if he is innocent of any crimes, why is he so scared to give himself up?

He fears extradition to the USA and as they've a bit of a bee in their bonnet about him releasing a lot of sensitive information he doesn't think they just want a nice friendly chat over a cuppa.

Original Poster

Funghi

He fears extradition to the USA and as they've a bit of a bee in their … He fears extradition to the USA and as they've a bit of a bee in their bonnet about him releasing a lot of sensitive information he doesn't think they just want a nice friendly chat over a cuppa.

They might just want to take him on a sightseeing trp

Banned

Took you a while to type that out didn't it archer.

deeky

I might be missing something obvious here, but if he is innocent of any … I might be missing something obvious here, but if he is innocent of any crimes, why is he so scared to give himself up?

That's what the Birmingham Six said mate. He walks out of there he is off to the USA with a black hood over his head.

Banned

deeky

I might be missing something obvious here, but if he is innocent of any … I might be missing something obvious here, but if he is innocent of any crimes, why is he so scared to give himself up?

Just because one's innocent he/she can be afraid of what'll be done regardless if the law (or people in charge) mandate. Whistleblowers are innocent people and have been punished. People falsely claimed to carry drugs in Taiwan or whatever were hanged to death and so on.

Spasho

Just because one's innocent he/she can be afraid of what'll be done … Just because one's innocent he/she can be afraid of what'll be done regardless if the law (or people in charge) mandate. Whistleblowers are innocent people and have been punished. People falsely claimed to carry drugs in Taiwan or whatever were hanged to death and so on.

Well he's been 'in prison' for 4 years now. If I was innocent of any crimes I'd be tempted to take my chances I think. Do you really think he could be stitched up with the eyes of the world watching?

Edited by: "deeky" 21st Aug 2016

deeky

Have to say I agree with the above comments deeky
    theguardian.com/us-…aks
    the whole thing is an incredible story
    guy is a dick mind
    Edited by: "Wongy110" 21st Aug 2016

Why do whistle blowers get treated so harshly?

EN1GMA

Good question.

He knows the Americans will jail him and then use the plea bargain system on him.

He will be forced to admit "guilt" for his "crimes" and take a 20 year sentence or face a trial wnere he Will be found guilty and will get life.

deeky

Well he's been 'in prison' for 4 years now. If I was innocent of any … Well he's been 'in prison' for 4 years now. If I was innocent of any crimes I'd be tempted to take my chances I think. Do you really think he could be stitched up with the eyes of the world watching?

The world doesn't care about him, even if so, not enough to do anything about it as they are all secure in their cushty little lives. Why would they try to fight an 'in reality unjust system'. Was the world reaction to Iraq war any different after millions of ppl died...same thing with Syria....unless you trule devote your time and effort into something...ppl don't give two craps about no one...only themselves.

hooray henry

He knows the Americans will jail him and then use the plea bargain system … He knows the Americans will jail him and then use the plea bargain system on him.He will be forced to admit "guilt" for his "crimes" and take a 20 year sentence or face a trial wnere he Will be found guilty and will get life.

Jail him for what?

hooray henry

He knows the Americans will jail him and then use the plea bargain system … He knows the Americans will jail him and then use the plea bargain system on him.He will be forced to admit "guilt" for his "crimes" and take a 20 year sentence or face a trial wnere he Will be found guilty and will get life.

If he'd done that in russia he'd be long gone by now.

Banned

deeky

Jail him for what?

You are joking?

YouDontWantToKnow

You are joking?

Why? What has he been convicted of?

Weirdo

EN1GMA

Because they cry wolf for nothing?

tempt

WeirdoBecause they cry wolf for nothing?

Really? A lot of them have brought issues and whistle blown because the when they tried to bring up the issues internally, the organisations did not take it further. Like this as a example

Child sex abuse whistleblower resigns from UN

theguardian.com/wor…ard

NHS whistleblower claims he was forced to quit then gagged

theguardian.com/uk/…ard

Edited by: "EN1GMA" 21st Aug 2016

EN1GMA

Because they are normal everyday hardworking people

Whereas say for example you are the spouse of a former president of a super power and you are still in politics at a senior level and aiming to become president of said super power it's OK to use unsecure methods to communicate highly sensitive data without risk of prosecution and it's also OK and you will not face criminal proceedings if certain staff, who have leaked information about your activities are executed on the pretence of a robbery gone wrong (when nothing was stolen).

Just saying

EN1GMA

Because the system doesn't like it, I have seen the consequences of Whistle Blowing in the NHS, morally right but it comes at a high price, in this case a consultants career was gone.

philphil61

Because they are normal everyday hardworking peopleWhereas say for … Because they are normal everyday hardworking peopleWhereas say for example you are the spouse of a former president of a super power and you are still in politics at a senior level and aiming to become president of said super power it's OK to use unsecure methods to communicate highly sensitive data without risk of prosecution and it's also OK and you will not face criminal proceedings if certain staff, who have leaked information about your activities are executed on the pretence of a robbery gone wrong (when nothing was stolen).Just saying

You should pop down to Clinton Cards and get that story printed up
    -'Congratulations Mrs President'

I can see both sides of the whistleblower argument, leaking information exposing the NHS's failings is one thing but leaking state secrets is for me going a step too far and obviously puts thousands if not millions of lives at risk.

At it's worst it inhibits our secret services ability to operate, you know those tasked with protecting us against terrorist attacks.....behind the scenes I bet they've prevented many more attacks than have been published.

To me the Assange claims have substance, he's using his so called whistleblower status to deflect any accusations made against him. As others have said he has nothing to fear if he truly is innocent.

freakstyler

I can see both sides of the whistleblower argument, leaking information … I can see both sides of the whistleblower argument, leaking information exposing the NHS's failings is one thing but leaking state secrets is for me going a step too far and obviously puts thousands if not millions of lives at risk.At it's worst it inhibits our secret services ability to operate, you know those tasked with protecting us against terrorist attacks.....behind the scenes I bet they've prevented many more attacks than have been published.To me the Assange claims have substance, he's using his so called whistleblower status to deflect any accusations made against him. As others have said he has nothing to fear if he truly is innocent.

Really? tell that to the how many people who have been imprisoned when they are innocent. Enough miscarriages of justice has happened for me to recognise that saying of yours above is just that, a saying, a quote.

EN1GMA

Really? tell that to the how many people who have been imprisoned when … Really? tell that to the how many people who have been imprisoned when they are innocent. Enough miscarriages of justice has happened for me to recognise that saying of yours above is just that, a saying, a quote.

Really.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…34
      2. Spotify Family Premium share59
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767221
      4. Martin Lewis explains your Ryanair cancellation rights.56

See more discussions