Expired

Sweets that are are suitable for everyone.

Found 6th Mar 2015
I need to buy my son some sweets to hand out in classroom on Monday. Is it just gelatine in sweets that is the issue with some. It seems that Haribo is off the menu but just wanted a bit of advise. Not done this thing before
Community Updates
37 Comments
Unless you are concerned about allergies, I wouldnt worry tbh. Hand the sweets out and if the kids chose to eat them or not, its up to them.
Original Poster Banned
To be honest if my son would't have mentioned it, it would have gone straight above my head. It's kids here though. I would rather not put a child in a position where they either have to refuse or take and not use. With a bit of simple planning I am sure I can overcome this. But now I've got to remove nuts!!!
Edited by: "Lyrrad" 6th Mar 2015
It must be difficult but i know i'd send my kids in with the cheapest sweets I could find. We are not here to pamper to other peoples beliefs and religious garbage and no one else should be forced to either.
How old is your son? Hard boiled sweets are normally easiest as long as they are not for very young children. Or do a mix of hairibo bags and eg small packs of malteasers and let the kids choose.
Some folks may have peanut/milk/gluten allergies. So i think its a fair point to ask the question.
What about biscuits instead? Sainsburys always have 2for1 deals on.

Otherwise Maoam(?)
I got my son haribo to take in and he also took in the little snack pack of raisins.
You don't mention age? My daughter took in maom (?) stripes but loads hand out haribo packets.
What about lollies if they're not too young?
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 6th Mar 2015
Hi there are many haribo sweets now gelatine free/suitable for vegetarians/Halal. They are widely available. Strawbs/coke bottle/tangy ones they are all available in those range. Primark has lots and surely others
All of this is what is wrong with this country. Some Brits have emigrated to Dubai, have you seen all Halal food taken off the menus there and replaced with bacon&eggs as to not offend the Brits??!
stuarthanley

It must be difficult but i know i'd send my kids in with the cheapest … It must be difficult but i know i'd send my kids in with the cheapest sweets I could find. We are not here to pamper to other peoples beliefs and religious garbage and no one else should be forced to either.

I don't think the person is necessarily worrying about religious beliefs but also the fact that some kids will have allergies etc and aren't able to eat certain foods. My wife is a teacher and it can be a nightmare what you can and can't give out. For example i didn't realise some kids can be allergic to kiwi which some Haribo sweets contain. Its not pampering but can be just covering your ass.
ggmurray

I don't think the person is necessarily worrying about religious beliefs … I don't think the person is necessarily worrying about religious beliefs but also the fact that some kids will have allergies etc and aren't able to eat certain foods. My wife is a teacher and it can be a nightmare what you can and can't give out. For example i didn't realise some kids can be allergic to kiwi which some Haribo sweets contain. Its not pampering but can be just covering your ass.

Yes, I put about allergies in my first response. Allergies, something that can cause the child to be ill, should be taken into account but checking sweets to see if they are suitable for vegetarians or religious beliefs is just taking it too far.
Original Poster Banned
I disagree about the Halal food issue, because that's not what I'm asking. There are many Muslims that do not eat Halal meat but would not eat pork. The same can be said to Jews that will not eat pork but don't keep a kosher home.

If my child was to receive Halal sweets if they exist, he would know that I don't approve of him eating Halal food, and THAT supply I would find off putting, although this Halal thing is not straight forward. Halal meat is very different to me than Halal sweets

Original Poster Banned
iRuman

Hi there are many haribo sweets now gelatine free/suitable for … Hi there are many haribo sweets now gelatine free/suitable for vegetarians/Halal. They are widely available. Strawbs/coke bottle/tangy ones they are all available in those range. Primark has lots and surely others

That's the answer I was looking for. It's gelatine free I'm trying to avoid, and your explanation is what is the real deal. Halal sweets just mean vegetarian, which can tick the boxes for Jews, Muslims and vegetarians. In fact I should imagine a larger % of Muslims/Jews would be ok with gelatine sweets by comparison to Christian vegetarians
Original Poster Banned
ggmurray

I don't think the person is necessarily worrying about religious beliefs … I don't think the person is necessarily worrying about religious beliefs but also the fact that some kids will have allergies etc and aren't able to eat certain foods. My wife is a teacher and it can be a nightmare what you can and can't give out. For example i didn't realise some kids can be allergic to kiwi which some Haribo sweets contain. Its not pampering but can be just covering your ass.

This too
My son has a intolerance to dairy. ( finaly getting better with it. ) when at his worst. I took in a bag of what he could have. So when kids took in sweets. He was not excluded. ( the teacher would hand him something from his bag). As to cover every allergy in the class. I don't think it's possible. Some mums really do go ott with allergys. Some are laid back. It's part of life.
Just take in something. It's your child's birthday. I always take in haribo
Original Poster Banned
Gelatine free Haribo it is then. Thanks to all. I have no idea how I manage to run a business, raise a child and still have time to post here.
But where do you draw the line. I didn't mention anything about Halal but not eating pork or products of pork is a religious belief. Some parents may take offence at giving their kids sugar, certain food colouring/favouring or E numbers etc. At some point, someone, somewhere isn't going to be happy. That being the case, either don't send any sweets in at all to be completely safe or just send any old sweets in.
Original Poster Banned
stuarthanley

But where do you draw the line. I didn't mention anything about Halal … But where do you draw the line. I didn't mention anything about Halal but not eating pork or products of pork is a religious belief. Some parents may take offence at giving their kids sugar, certain food colouring/favouring or E numbers etc. At some point, someone, somewhere isn't going to be happy. That being the case, either don't send any sweets in at all to be completely safe or just send any old sweets in.

i've drawn it. Haribo it is
They often have packs of gelatin free Haribo in the pound shop.
The only gelatine free haribo I've seen are the strawbs and they are horrible. Where are you finding these? Marks and spencers now do lots of gelatine free chewy sweets (if thats what you are set on) but individually they are quite big. They also have gelatine free wine gums, fruit pastilles and fruit gums. Or you could just get sweets/chocolate that is already gelatine free e.g. star burst, celebrations, cadbury heroes, supermarkets branded laces, straws, jellybeans are also usually gelatine free.
Stuart is the sort of chap who has a dinner party with mates and even though he knows his best bud simply can't stand fish he whacks a great big lemon sole in front of him, head to tail.

You would be considerate of people's dislikes and likes wherever possible; and that's all this needs to be about, being considerate. By taking umbrage because its based on belief rather than entirely random sensibilities you're making it about religion as much as anyone else. There are huge problems with strict interpretations of Judaism, Islam and Christianity and food habits are relatively low on the list (although I accept there is a debate with regard to slaughtering practices and animal welfare considerations).

As for the chap who said that "all of this is what is wrong with this country", well if our tolerance and consideration of other ideals is what is wrong with this country he could of course move to somewhere ruled by a crazy despot. Flavour of the month could be Russia? The difference, which escapes him, is that British sensibilities generally aren't offended by a lack of bacon on a menu, as we can eat other things. Besides you can get bacon in Dubai and restaurants in the UAE are allowed to serve non-halal meat, and that presumably is to cater to foreign demand - which frankly, if you ask me, is everything that is wrong with that country.

Edited by: "Gestr" 6th Mar 2015
Gestr

Stuart is the sort of chap who has a dinner party with mates and even … Stuart is the sort of chap who has a dinner party with mates and even though he knows his best bud simply can't stand fish he whacks a great big lemon sole in front of him, head to tail. You would be considerate of people's dislikes and likes wherever possible; and that's all this needs to be about, being considerate. By taking umbrage because its based on belief rather than entirely random sensibilities you're making it about religion as much as anyone else. There are huge problems with strict interpretations of Judaism, Islam and Christianity and food habits are relatively low on the list (although I accept there is a debate with regard to slaughtering practices and animal welfare considerations).As for the chap who said that "all of this is what is wrong with this country", well if our tolerance and consideration of other ideals is what is wrong with this country he could of course move to somewhere moved my a crazy despot. Flavour of the month could be Russia? The difference, which escapes him, is that British sensibilities generally aren't offended by a lack of bacon on a menu, as we can eat other things. Besides you can get bacon in Dubai and restaurants in the UAE are allowed to serve non-halal meat, and that presumably is to cater to foreign demand - which frankly, if you ask me, is everything that is wrong with that country.

Stuart is the sort of person that would inform his friend that lemon sole is being served and allow them the choice as to whether they attend or not.

I am considerate to people's dislikes and likes. "These are the sweets I've brought in... Eat them or don't eat them"
Edited by: "SJHan" 6th Mar 2015

FYI - I'll take your mates place. Lemon sole is delicious. Problem is my five-year-old can't resist it and is always outside the trawlers begging for scraps.

stuarthanley

Stuart is the sort of person that would inform his friend that lemon sole … Stuart is the sort of person that would inform his friend that lemon sole is being served and allow them the choice as to whether they attend or not. I am considerate to people's dislikes and likes. "These are the sweets I've brought in... Eat them or don't eat them"

(I'm no longer making a valid point!)

Gestr

FYI - I'll take your mates place. Lemon sole is delicious. Problem is my … FYI - I'll take your mates place. Lemon sole is delicious. Problem is my five-year-old can't resist it and is always outside the trawlers begging for scraps.

My little girl takes raisins in that normally suits most people
Persey Pigs (the veggie version), think m&s do em, fully vegan and tasty!
Edited by: "zebedee35" 6th Mar 2015
zebedee35

Persey Pigs, think m&s do em, fully vegan and tasty!

Now that's a dilemma. It contains no pig but it's pig shaped.... Hmmmm
The haribo gelatine free sweets are actually really nice but I can only find then in Asda not Tesco, they're in an orange bag.
Edited by: "sparky64" 6th Mar 2015
Gestr

Stuart is the sort of chap who has a dinner party with mates and even … Stuart is the sort of chap who has a dinner party with mates and even though he knows his best bud simply can't stand fish he whacks a great big lemon sole in front of him, head to tail. You would be considerate of people's dislikes and likes wherever possible; and that's all this needs to be about, being considerate. By taking umbrage because its based on belief rather than entirely random sensibilities you're making it about religion as much as anyone else. There are huge problems with strict interpretations of Judaism, Islam and Christianity and food habits are relatively low on the list (although I accept there is a debate with regard to slaughtering practices and animal welfare considerations).As for the chap who said that "all of this is what is wrong with this country", well if our tolerance and consideration of other ideals is what is wrong with this country he could of course move to somewhere moved my a crazy despot. Flavour of the month could be Russia? The difference, which escapes him, is that British sensibilities generally aren't offended by a lack of bacon on a menu, as we can eat other things. Besides you can get bacon in Dubai and restaurants in the UAE are allowed to serve non-halal meat, and that presumably is to cater to foreign demand - which frankly, if you ask me, is everything that is wrong with that country.

well said

EliTom
According to the packaging, Jelly Tots are suitable for vegetarians or vegans as they contain no gelatine or animal-based ingredients.
Stuart is what is wrong with the world
in a lot of schools its celebrations / heroes. pick out the nutty ones and the rest are wrapped for hygene reasons. I always tell the kids "don't eat that till someone comes to pick you up and says its ok"
My kids school is mainly celebrations.

I think you're a very kind person thinking of other children. I know is be devastated if I took in nutty sweets and a child with a nut allergy ate it by accident causing them to have a reaction. Hence I steer clear of nuts and usually take in sweets which are suitable for vegetarians.

The little chuppa chups lollies are great as they're small are individually wrapped so no dirty fingers touching them.
Take a celebrations box instead or sweets or vegetarian sweets or just take what you want to and the kids can decide themselves whether they want them or not. when I was at school we mainly had celebrations or candy and any gelatine type sweets that were given out I said no thanks and that was that nothing to worry about ;). good of you to try cater and think of everyone
With all the healthy eating aimed at kids, Im surprised a school would ask parents to bring sweets these days.

Id take in those little boxes of raisins.
Well said Gestr
Grantg182 is what's wrong with this country, idiot
My daughter always gets offered haribos but doesn't eat them cos of the gelatine in them so no loss to us
Nice to know some considerate people out there, making the world a better place
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants