Expired

Swinton Insurance and cancelled car insurance

Found 19th Jun 2012
Hiya I'm after a bit of advice before I ring Swinton Insurance tomorrow.
I had a car insurance policy with them but cancelled it in November and took a policy with Swift instead. Now I'm abysmal at checking my bank statements etc and have realised today that they've been charging me still since November. As fuming as I am I was wondering what are the odds of getting this £600+ back? Should I speak to Swinton first or raise an indemnity with my bank?
Any help would be appreciated

20 Comments

Original Poster

Oh I should add that I cancelled the policy at renewal time as their quotes were horrific!

Speak with them first. How did you cancel - was it by mail, or by phone?

They sometimes automatically renew. You should explain this was without your authority. You may need to provide evidence of cover from Swift to support your cancellation request. Also, ask them to provide you with their complaints procedure should you need to take this matter further or even to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This should let them know that you are serious with your complaint.

Forget jumping through hoops:

Email the CEO direct: christophe.bardet@swinton.co.uk

Original Poster

Punkstoner1 - Maybe you're right, I'd have more money but Swinton Insurance keep taking it! I cancelled by telephone as I was dealing with my local branch, we were speaking for a good few days as they were trying to get me a better quote. They couldn't even come near Swift's quote so I told them to cancel it. They said it was cancelled so I believed them. Thanks for the advice so far

Did you ever receiver written notification of the cancellation confirming they weren't covering you any more and requesting the return of the insurance certificate?

John

Hi I work in insurance and you aren't able to be dually insured I.e have two policies at the same time. Just tell them you have had insurance elsewhere. They will need proof but should give you full refund

if you moved to swift in nov then you should have to prove your no claims you need to get this from swintons so this should prove you canceled

Original Poster

I didn't have any no claims, I was the main driver on my mums policy with Swinton and having reached the ripe old age of 25 I got my own policy. Swinton didn't send me any cancellation papers but they also didn't send me a renewal. The documents were kept online so no need to return them. How long do you think a refund would take? Would it be worth trying to take the complaint further as previously suggested?

Just to say, I had this with LV and they refunded.
I know it's a different company, but when these things happen it's nice to know the good stories as well as the bad ones.

Banned

If car insurance is the same as house, it's illegal to have two insurance policies on one car? You will get 50% back for the term you were dual insured from each insurer as long as you've not had a claim in that time frame.

Banned

You know swinton are doing a £30 cash back on their site at the moment? I took my motor bike insurance through them paying £58 after the £30 cash back

lumoruk

If car insurance is the same as house, it's illegal to have two insurance … If car insurance is the same as house, it's illegal to have two insurance policies on one car? You will get 50% back for the term you were dual insured from each insurer as long as you've not had a claim in that time frame.

It's not illegal to have two insurance policies on one car but it would be illegal if a car was covered under multiple insurance policies, had a crash and the person tried to claim fully off each of the companies as they would be committing fraud. Instead liability would have to be worked and either one company pay up if they were liable or multiple companies would split the payout if jointly liable which is why insurance companies don't like it as it can get messy sorting out a claim. Insurance companies instead prefer to have additional drivers kept on the same policy as named drivers but if it isn't possible or economic, there is nothing illegal about taking a second policy out on the same car.

John
Edited by: "Johnmcl7" 20th Jun 2012

Call them first, explain clearly you had previously cancelled and they have continued to take money - see what they say. They may say something like "okay, we will process a refund, it may take up to 28 days" or something like this. If you are paying direct debit this isn't actually acceptable, and you can then raise an indemnity with the bank if you feel you need the money back sooner.

Also, if you are certain you did cancel and this is their error, make sure that you do make a complaint - they will then have to review the cancellation call and act upon it (usually this will result in you receiving a further cheque to cover lost interest\gratuity [probably somewhere around £30]). You aren't obliged to accept their findings - you can refer it to the ombudsman - but you should exhaust their own complaint procedures first of all..

Banned

momartin

I didn't have any no claims, I was the main driver on my mums policy with … I didn't have any no claims, I was the main driver on my mums policy with Swinton and having reached the ripe old age of 25 I got my own policy. Swinton didn't send me any cancellation papers but they also didn't send me a renewal. The documents were kept online so no need to return them. How long do you think a refund would take? Would it be worth trying to take the complaint further as previously suggested?

In which case, you will find it very difficult to prove you cancelled, especially if your renewal papers have been set up online. best check!

Lesson learnt I suppose. Always check bank statements - amazes me why people dont bother. I regularly spot mistakes in mine, usually in the banks favour.

maybe try speaking to the manager at your local branch. i found when my renewal came up in august it went up so much and got its cheaper by £400 from aviva direct not going threw swinton to aviva. anyway they charged me to take my no claims discount of my current insurance as we had purchased a new car and i was the main driver as the other was for sale. they didn't release the no claims until my insurance actually expired. lucky i rang them and kicked a fuss up and they refund the last payment they had taken and also the no claims bonus i had paid for as i wasn't no longer taking it with them. did you receive a letter stating you had agreed to renew and that was your monthly payments etc? i would really make a fuss of it as you haven't said you wanted it with them. try remember the dates you rang them and state they should maybe listen to them as you told them to cancel. as they are meant to record calls for training hopefully this might be useful info for you if not sorry and i hope you can get your money back x

Could the Direct Debit guarantee be of any use here?

Can't believe it's not been said yet but LOLOL at not cancelling your direct debit. Common sense!

momartin

I didn't have any no claims, I was the main driver on my mums policy with … I didn't have any no claims, I was the main driver on my mums policy with Swinton and having reached the ripe old age of 25 I got my own policy.

How could you possibly be the main driver on your mum's policy? Surely then it would be your policy? Or does the policy holder not have to be the main driver?

Original Poster

Nope the policy holder doesn't have to be the main driver. The main driver has to genuinely be the main driver otherwise this is fronting. Anywhoo I had a day of arguing with them. In the end I rang HSBC who raised an indemnity and said my £760 will be back in my account by Friday. Thanks for the advice and yes I've learbt to check my statements properly and cancel old Direct Debits now!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants