Switch from BT to BT same property different person

Found 21st Oct 2017
Hello
In order to benefit from BT new customer offers, is it possible my housemate can order as a new customer?

How would we time it so that I don’t get charged for leaving before 30 days notice?
Community Updates
Ask
35 Comments
you give 30 days notice, unless you're in contract

he / she signs up after 30 days
how can I avoid losing a period of broadband?
darren_8552 m ago

You would phone up and say you are leaving the premises on whatever date. Your friend phones up and says they will be moving in on the same date.
No you can't switch from BT to BT at the same address
MIDURIX13 h, 18 m ago

You would phone up and say you are leaving the premises on whatever date. …You would phone up and say you are leaving the premises on whatever date. Your friend phones up and says they will be moving in on the same date.

That won't work I'm afraid
cliosport6549 m ago

No you can't switch from BT to BT at the same address

What are you on about? So if someone owns a house and has BT, then sells the house the new owner can't have BT?
MIDURIX10 h, 20 m ago

What are you on about? So if someone owns a house and has BT, then sells …What are you on about? So if someone owns a house and has BT, then sells the house the new owner can't have BT?

No it would need disconnecting and reconnecting and a new number would be issued, you will be unable to switch with the same provider using the same number
darren_8521st Oct

you'll be without internet for up to 2 weeks I'd say
Ignore every reply above, you can do what you want and go seconds without internet.

1 - Forget about the existing account, do not make any changes to it, no cease requests.
2 - Join as a new customer, order what you want, as it's a working line takeover, the provide date will be a minimum of 14 days.
3 - BT will send a letter to the original account holder notifying you someone is taking over, ignore that, it's expected.
4 - When the new account goes live, it will cease the original line and broadband, you'll then get a final bill for that account*

The original account will only be charged up to the new accounts go live date, 30 days notice only applies to a cease, this is a working line takeover.

* Unless you have standalone products, such as BT Mobile or BT Sport on Sky as they can continue without needing line and broadband.
Sounds good but point 4 is still a cease? The original account has not given 30 days notice
darren_857 m ago

Sounds good but point 4 is still a cease? The original account has not …Sounds good but point 4 is still a cease? The original account has not given 30 days notice

It doesn't have to in this scenario, you're only charged for what you use.
Honestly you're over thinking this, to request a cease is 30 days notice, you're doing a working line takeover, so the 30 days notice doesn't apply, trust me.
cliosport651 h, 45 m ago

No it would need disconnecting and reconnecting and a new number would be …No it would need disconnecting and reconnecting and a new number would be issued, you will be unable to switch with the same provider using the same number

What do you mean no? I never said it wouldn't be disconnected and then reconnected and a new number issued. I said person A need to cancel and set it at a certain day and person B needs to get a new contract for same day/day after.
PKRichie31 m ago

Ignore every reply above, you can do what you want and go seconds without …Ignore every reply above, you can do what you want and go seconds without internet.1 - Forget about the existing account, do not make any changes to it, no cease requests.2 - Join as a new customer, order what you want, as it's a working line takeover, the provide date will be a minimum of 14 days.3 - BT will send a letter to the original account holder notifying you someone is taking over, ignore that, it's expected.4 - When the new account goes live, it will cease the original line and broadband, you'll then get a final bill for that account*The original account will only be charged up to the new accounts go live date, 30 days notice only applies to a cease, this is a working line takeover.* Unless you have standalone products, such as BT Mobile or BT Sport on Sky as they can continue without needing line and broadband.

If the original person/account want to cancel and disappear don't they need to give 30 days notice because it is ceasing? If I was 3 months into an 18 month contract and I was moving out and I didn't do anything I just let the new owner of the house take over you can't say that I wouldn't then be stung by some fees etc.
MIDURIX15 m ago

If the original person/account want to cancel and disappear don't they …If the original person/account want to cancel and disappear don't they need to give 30 days notice because it is ceasing? If I was 3 months into an 18 month contract and I was moving out and I didn't do anything I just let the new owner of the house take over you can't say that I wouldn't then be stung by some fees etc.

If the original person left, it's not the new account holders fault, so BT or any other ISP can't deny them service, the takeover goes ahead regardless.
If the original person was 3 months into an 18 month contract then that person would owe BT money, the original person will also be notified of the change by email, they would owe BT any early termination fees and let a debt recovery company find them, again that would have no bearing on the new account as they are not responsible for the previous account holders bill/debt.
When I enquired about something similar they told me they can't just transfer the contract over to the new person; you have to take out a new contract in the new person's name.
PKRichie3 h, 43 m ago

If the original person left, it's not the new account holders fault, so BT …If the original person left, it's not the new account holders fault, so BT or any other ISP can't deny them service, the takeover goes ahead regardless.If the original person was 3 months into an 18 month contract then that person would owe BT money, the original person will also be notified of the change by email, they would owe BT any early termination fees and let a debt recovery company find them, again that would have no bearing on the new account as they are not responsible for the previous account holders bill/debt.

Yes, so in this case the OP would get in trouble. There's no point talking about the friend (second person) being OK if the OP is stung by fees
hearts222 m ago

When I enquired about something similar they told me they can't just …When I enquired about something similar they told me they can't just transfer the contract over to the new person; you have to take out a new contract in the new person's name.

You wouldn't enquire though, that's the whole point, of course they don't want someone who's already living there benefiting from a new customer contract. You've just got to go ahead and cancel the old one after giving the standard notice and then let the new person start a new contract.
PKRichie4 h, 33 m ago

Ignore every reply above, you can do what you want and go seconds without …Ignore every reply above, you can do what you want and go seconds without internet.1 - Forget about the existing account, do not make any changes to it, no cease requests.2 - Join as a new customer, order what you want, as it's a working line takeover, the provide date will be a minimum of 14 days.3 - BT will send a letter to the original account holder notifying you someone is taking over, ignore that, it's expected.4 - When the new account goes live, it will cease the original line and broadband, you'll then get a final bill for that account*The original account will only be charged up to the new accounts go live date, 30 days notice only applies to a cease, this is a working line takeover.* Unless you have standalone products, such as BT Mobile or BT Sport on Sky as they can continue without needing line and broadband.

I actually tried to do this, ordering new contract online with new person's name. Didn't work as it recognised there was another BT contract alive at the same address and it told me to contact them! Bad advice, sorry.
MIDURIX3 m ago

You wouldn't enquire though, that's the whole point, of course they don't …You wouldn't enquire though, that's the whole point, of course they don't want someone who's already living there benefiting from a new customer contract. You've just got to go ahead and cancel the old one after giving the standard notice and then let the new person start a new contract.

It won't let you take out a new contract for an address with a BT contract online... you have to contact them. I know because I tried.
That means you probably have to cancel first, then pay a reconnection fee with the new contract... also means loss of service for a while.
Edited by: "hearts22" 22nd Oct 2017
In my case I simply wanted to put the contract in my ex partner's name as I was moving out. Was told they don't do name transfers.

I tried to just go and apply for a new contract in his name as a new customer so that he wouldn't lose service but like I said, it didn't let me carry on the process online as it recognised that there was a BT contract in my name at that address still active.
I gave up so I didn't try to sort it out on the phone, but I know for sure it won't work online. The contract was ended a while after when he changed provider completely.
hearts221 h, 39 m ago

In my case I simply wanted to put the contract in my ex partner's name as …In my case I simply wanted to put the contract in my ex partner's name as I was moving out. Was told they don't do name transfers. I tried to just go and apply for a new contract in his name as a new customer so that he wouldn't lose service but like I said, it didn't let me carry on the process online as it recognised that there was a BT contract in my name at that address still active. I gave up so I didn't try to sort it out on the phone, but I know for sure it won't work online. The contract was ended a while after when he changed provider completely.

Why are you imposing that it be done online? If it can be done on the phone it can be done on the phone. I don't get why you are saying it isn't possible, when in fact you are just talking about one aspect which no one has specified has to happen.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 22nd Oct 2017
MIDURIX8 m ago

Why are you imposing that it be done online? If it can be done on the …Why are you imposing that it be done online? If it can be done on the phone it can be done on the phone. I don't get why you are saying it isn't possible, when in fact you are just talking about one aspect which no one has specified has to happen.

Because you told me I shouldn't have enquired, meaning no contact about it with them.
Anyway I went to reread my question to them about it on FB messages and doubt it can be done on the phone either because they clearly told me there would have been loss of service so new connection fee etc.
I said online it says to contact them about it and I haven't tried to contact them on the phone. Not that it can be done on the phone for sure.
hearts222 h, 32 m ago

I actually tried to do this, ordering new contract online with new …I actually tried to do this, ordering new contract online with new person's name. Didn't work as it recognised there was another BT contract alive at the same address and it told me to contact them! Bad advice, sorry.

It does work and the advice is not bad, It's 100% accurate.
It's called a working line takeover for a reason.
PKRichie49 m ago

It does work and the advice is not bad, It's 100% accurate.It's called a …It does work and the advice is not bad, It's 100% accurate.It's called a working line takeover for a reason.

You won't be able to have the deals for new costumers as it's a line takeover that has to be done on the phone and not as simple as buying a new contract as a completely new customer somewhere.

I was arguing that you can't do that and join as a new customer, getting the benefits that new customers usually have (cashback, BT reward cards or Amazon vouchers).

The way you put it you didn't explain you have to specifically request a line takeover to BT, which cannot be done online but has to be done on the phone.
The deals are usually online only, right? OP's aim was to get the offers new customers get...
It's not as simple as "join as a new customer".
Like I said I tried and it didn't let me take out a contract in another person's name at the address where I already had a BT contract active.
hearts2221 m ago

You won't be able to have the deals for new costumers as it's a line …You won't be able to have the deals for new costumers as it's a line takeover that has to be done on the phone and not as simple as buying a new contract as a completely new customer somewhere.I was arguing that you can't do that and join as a new customer, getting the benefits that new customers usually have (cashback, BT reward cards or Amazon vouchers).The way you put it you didn't explain you have to specifically request a line takeover to BT, which cannot be done online but has to be done on the phone. The deals are usually online only, right? OP's aim was to get the offers new customers get... It's not as simple as "join as a new customer".Like I said I tried and it didn't let me take out a contract in another person's name at the address where I already had a BT contract active.

All I can say is who ever you spoke with gave you totally wrong info, I can do a working line takeover of my own line, see the Imgur link imgur.com/a/0…BnX

You don't even have to have a different name, you can take over your own line in the same name, I can guarantee you 100% I am correct, obviously as a new customer you will pay activation charges and have a new number but the rewards card makes it worth doing.
Edited by: "_-Richie-_" 22nd Oct 2017
PKRichie1 h, 16 m ago

All I can say is who ever you spoke with gave you totally wrong info, I …All I can say is who ever you spoke with gave you totally wrong info, I can do a working line takeover of my own line, see the Imgur link https://imgur.com/a/0fBnXYou don't even have to have a different name, you can take over your own line in the same name, I can guarantee you 100% I am correct, obviously as a new customer you will pay activation charges and have a new number but the rewards card makes it worth doing.

Is that a BT line already in your name at the same address because I tried that online and couldn't do it and I'm not lying.
It wouldn't let me carry on.
hearts228 m ago

Is that a BT line already in your name at the same address because I tried …Is that a BT line already in your name at the same address because I tried that online and couldn't do it and I'm not lying. It wouldn't let me carry on.

Yes, my BT line and broadband at my address, In my name.
Are you doing it from the same browser you normally log on to your account with ? try another browser or clear your cookies, otherwise it might say you're already a customer
PKRichie4 m ago

Yes, my BT line and broadband at my address, In my name.Are you doing it …Yes, my BT line and broadband at my address, In my name.Are you doing it from the same browser you normally log on to your account with ? try another browser or clear your cookies, otherwise it might say you're already a customer

I'm 100% sure a line takeover from BT to BT cannot be done online.
It says it on the website as well to contact them in that case.
What you did there is pretend you have no existing line with BT at that address to be able to carry on the process but I would like to see how that goes since you would be lying about it and BT can see there's a line already connected in your name there.

Have you done it for real or it's just all a simulation? If you've done it for real then I guess you found a loophole.
I was honest and said there was an existing line and inputted the BT number and it wouldn't let me go on online.
MIDURIX10 h, 33 m ago

What do you mean no? I never said it wouldn't be disconnected and then …What do you mean no? I never said it wouldn't be disconnected and then reconnected and a new number issued. I said person A need to cancel and set it at a certain day and person B needs to get a new contract for same day/day after.

Have you actually tried doing your own scenario that you claim that you can do?

As your person A will cancel and get the line disconnected and then person B will need the line reconnected to proceed with the service.

Your own words buddy.

Something to bear in mind a cancellation will result in a disconnection.
hearts226 h, 29 m ago

It won't let you take out a new contract for an address with a BT contract …It won't let you take out a new contract for an address with a BT contract online... you have to contact them. I know because I tried.That means you probably have to cancel first, then pay a reconnection fee with the new contract... also means loss of service for a while.

I don't think MIDURIX understands what he has said. Obviously looking through Rose tinted glasses
PKRichie3 h, 3 m ago

All I can say is who ever you spoke with gave you totally wrong info, I …All I can say is who ever you spoke with gave you totally wrong info, I can do a working line takeover of my own line, see the Imgur link https://imgur.com/a/0fBnXYou don't even have to have a different name, you can take over your own line in the same name, I can guarantee you 100% I am correct, obviously as a new customer you will pay activation charges and have a new number but the rewards card makes it worth doing.

Doesn't mean that they will process that application at all by doing it online
@darren_85 To do this select you have no line, see this image imgur.com/izk…XKk.
Between myself and Hearts22 we worked out why.
cliosport658 h, 41 m ago

Have you actually tried doing your own scenario that you claim that you …Have you actually tried doing your own scenario that you claim that you can do?As your person A will cancel and get the line disconnected and then person B will need the line reconnected to proceed with the service.Your own words buddy.Something to bear in mind a cancellation will result in a disconnection.

So? BTs own site says you won't pay a fee if the line has recently been used.
The original question by the OP was can they benefit from BT new customer offers and this is correct with a disconnection and reconnection.

What part of my scenario wouldn't be able to take place or is it the fact that it's going to be disconnected that you have a problem with? I see nothing wrong with it being disconnected, you can't transfer the number and account to the other person because you won't get the new customer offers, so it's kind of the only way to do things.
It's not the only way to do things, you can always ask for a retention deal, they have existing customer only deals.
£40.40 per month matches the new customer deal, after you factor in setup costs and deduct that from the rewards card.
I went with TalkTalk...... thanks all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants