Switch hacked: unpatchable exploit hits the Switch and already running Linux..

SuperEd 30
Found 24th Apr
Probably only a matter of time BUT as far as i'm aware Nintendo CANNOT patch this exploit as it's via the processor / hardware itself .. Unless they bring out a new hardware version which is a major ballache for Nintendo.

''Nintendo Switch has been hacked, with two similar exploits released in the last 24 hours following a complete dump of the console's boot ROM. The hacks are hardware-based in nature and cannot be patched by Nintendo. The only way forward for the platform holder in fully securing the console will be to revise the Nvidia Tegra X1 processor itself, patching out the boot ROM bug. In the short term, homebrew code execution is possible and a full, touch-enabled version of Linux with 3D acceleration support is now available.''

Source
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
kaaaching6 m ago

but what does this mean, people can now download pirate games and play …but what does this mean, people can now download pirate games and play them on the switch?

It means it will be possible in the future if someone creates a custom firmware to do so. Said firmwares will allow hackers to cheat during online games too. Nintendo can fight this off with software updates for now to make it harder for them until the new Switch revision is on shelves (which is coming) but every Switch currently now available on shelves and in people’s hands will be hackable.

Basically, if you want to hack a Switch for homebrew in the future, now is the time to buy before the revision is on store shelves.

Anyone buying one to ruin online games by cheating though, needs to reassess their life in my opinion.
30 Comments
Sounds like i need to buy a Nintendo Switch
but what does this mean, people can now download pirate games and play them on the switch?
kaaaching6 m ago

but what does this mean, people can now download pirate games and play …but what does this mean, people can now download pirate games and play them on the switch?

It means it will be possible in the future if someone creates a custom firmware to do so. Said firmwares will allow hackers to cheat during online games too. Nintendo can fight this off with software updates for now to make it harder for them until the new Switch revision is on shelves (which is coming) but every Switch currently now available on shelves and in people’s hands will be hackable.

Basically, if you want to hack a Switch for homebrew in the future, now is the time to buy before the revision is on store shelves.

Anyone buying one to ruin online games by cheating though, needs to reassess their life in my opinion.
Original Poster SuperEd
kaaaching8 m ago

In theory it should be possible if the 'hackers' keep the pace up and Nintendo don't throw a spanner in the works, although it's not just about games (Should support the devs as much as possible though by buying games)

You may be able to sideload stuff like Netflix, Plex and other apps, who knows what the machine will be capable of and what the teams can get running on it, time will tell
Biddy26 m ago

It means it will be possible in the future if someone creates a custom …It means it will be possible in the future if someone creates a custom firmware to do so. Said firmwares will allow hackers to cheat during online games too. Nintendo can fight this off with software updates for now to make it harder for them until the new Switch revision is on shelves (which is coming) but every Switch currently now available on shelves and in people’s hands will be hackable. Basically, if you want to hack a Switch for homebrew in the future, now is the time to buy before the revision is on store shelves. Anyone buying one to ruin online games by cheating though, needs to reassess their life in my opinion.

ahh i see, yh never got people that cheat on online games, the whole reason for online i feel like is to test your skill against a opponent. so one to cheat is completely worthless, what satisfaction will you get??? i seriously think these people have mental issues.
Editor
Biddy214 m ago

Anyone buying one to ruin online games by cheating though, needs to …Anyone buying one to ruin online games by cheating though, needs to reassess their life in my opinion.

Doing it on Rocket League is fine though, right...RIGHT?
kaaaching12 m ago

ahh i see, yh never got people that cheat on online games, the whole …ahh i see, yh never got people that cheat on online games, the whole reason for online i feel like is to test your skill against a opponent. so one to cheat is completely worthless, what satisfaction will you get??? i seriously think these people have mental issues.

Totally agree. I don’t understand it at all. Same as those who glitch a game to get their name at the top of a leaderboard. Makes no sense to me at all. I mean, it all means nothing in real life at the end of the day.

I can’t believe how easy this is to put in recovery mode. Literally as easy as putting a wire between the 9th and 10th joycon pins and pressing the volume up button to launch you into the recovery mode of the Switch. That allows you to install custom firmware onto it then.
BuzzDuraband6 m ago

Doing it on Rocket League is fine though, right...RIGHT?

Yes, Rocket League is the exception to the rule.

I’m useless at it too, Buzz. Don’t worry.
They are bringing out a hardware revision, obviously not going to be advertised but it's to correct the hardware flaw.
Moorsey976 m ago

They are bringing out a hardware revision, obviously not going to be …They are bringing out a hardware revision, obviously not going to be advertised but it's to correct the hardware flaw.

Yes I heard this some weeks ago
Edited by: "jco83" 24th Apr
Current Switches will sky rocket in price?
JmeH4 m ago

Current Switches will sky rocket in price?

i guess come down in price retail stores but go up in price selling second hand, is what im guessing
When can I expect to see people on MK8 taking the whole race as a superstar or a bullet bill, just like the good old days of MKW?
I have been holding off buying a switch but now might be the time... As soon as I can dump games to SD card and run them I'm there!
Biddy22 h, 15 m ago

It means it will be possible in the future if someone creates a custom …It means it will be possible in the future if someone creates a custom firmware to do so. Said firmwares will allow hackers to cheat during online games too. Nintendo can fight this off with software updates for now to make it harder for them until the new Switch revision is on shelves (which is coming) but every Switch currently now available on shelves and in people’s hands will be hackable. Basically, if you want to hack a Switch for homebrew in the future, now is the time to buy before the revision is on store shelves. Anyone buying one to ruin online games by cheating though, needs to reassess their life in my opinion.

Is the new Revision you mention just an update to stop this or something more?
Gozer27 m ago

Is the new Revision you mention just an update to stop this or something …Is the new Revision you mention just an update to stop this or something more?

Just an update to the chipset to stop this I believe.
So is any current switch purchased today one where I can run Linux on??
Nice my Swtich has been collecting dust lately. Portability is nice but a lot of digital and physical games are way too expensive for me.
someone has got a gamecube emulator working already using the hack
Edited by: "professorEX" 24th Apr
Free game library incoming.
will wait until it is fully hacked, then I will grab one. Good times
Already a dietpi image out a few days ago with kodi support.
Please forgive me as I know naff all about the switch, but i did use a hacked PSP and DS, if I remember correctly if you don’t connect it to the internet then Nintendo couldn’t do anything about it, will this be the same with the switch if it’s hacked?
RandomUser424 h, 36 m ago

When can I expect to see people on MK8 taking the whole race as a …When can I expect to see people on MK8 taking the whole race as a superstar or a bullet bill, just like the good old days of MKW?

Probably a few months away. At least back then it was possible to win a race against cheaters if you were good, they were ususally just kids who didn't understand basic driving concepts, like braking.
In a way this is pretty sad. Nintendo were building up a good library of games (albeit at high prices) for the Switch, and soon they will be looking at piracy for all existing consoles. Not only that but a Switch emulator has already made progress early on.
Edited by: "drasim" 24th Apr
SteveJackson-af452.856471 h, 48 m ago

Please forgive me as I know naff all about the switch, but i did use a …Please forgive me as I know naff all about the switch, but i did use a hacked PSP and DS, if I remember correctly if you don’t connect it to the internet then Nintendo couldn’t do anything about it, will this be the same with the switch if it’s hacked?

Firmwares won’t stop this, they will only delay it now. It’s a hardware level exploit.

They could block your access to their servers if they detect custom firmware from your system but that all depends on if they will be able to detect it or if hackers will be able to hide that information.
drasim1 h, 28 m ago

In a way this is pretty sad. Nintendo were building up a good library of …In a way this is pretty sad. Nintendo were building up a good library of games (albeit at high prices) for the Switch, and soon they will be looking at piracy for all existing consoles. Not only that but a Switch emulator has already made progress early on.

It won't matter to most, the majority will never even do it, same way the majority never modded their Wii.

Biddy218 m ago

Firmwares won’t stop this, they will only delay it now. It’s a hardware lev …Firmwares won’t stop this, they will only delay it now. It’s a hardware level exploit. They could block your access to their servers if they detect custom firmware from your system but that all depends on if they will be able to detect it or if hackers will be able to hide that information.

They'll encrypt the software, make it so only the new firmware has the keys. It's a cat and mouse solution, but it worked with the 3DS for ages.
Hope this doesn't ruin the Switch sales for Nintendo, when it has showed so much potential! Can't wait for metroid prime 4!
kaaaching22 h, 10 m ago

ahh i see, yh never got people that cheat on online games, the whole …ahh i see, yh never got people that cheat on online games, the whole reason for online i feel like is to test your skill against a opponent. so one to cheat is completely worthless, what satisfaction will you get??? i seriously think these people have mental issues.

Not everyone's interpretation of this is the same I guess?.

Check this:

cnet.com/new…ng/
Here's a link for the above if anyone is interested?

Switch hacked: unpatchable exploit is a security nightmare for Nintendo | Eurogamer

eurogamer.net/amp…sis

Sometimes, just sometimes, being the first to jump onto the LATEST 'everything', isn't always the smartest move?

Letting certain 'issues' like the above sort themselves out may prove itself the wisest move of all ...

(Unless of course hacking/modding it are your potential thing?, lol). :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants