Groups

Switching ADSL broadband

Hi, hope to get some advice here. My Sky broadband finished a couple of days ago, I cancelled it as it was coming to the end of a deal and couldn't find a good deal to go to (I don't mind waiting for a decent deal). So yesterday I found a good Plusnet deal and wanted to sign up, but they want a 49.99 installation charge - because the phone line is now disconnected. I find that bizarre as surely there was no physical disconnection when my Sky contract finished. Is this normal? BTW, when I talked to Sky they warned me that there may be delays reconnecting via a new supplier after termination, they didn't warn me that I could be charged for reconnection.

9 Comments

Yea. Standard issue. It's easier to find a deal and change suppliers that way. It's not sky's job to tell you about reconnection Fees.

As they will need to reconnect the line. Live and learn. Only thing I would suggest is finding an provider with free activation.
    Edited by: "googleboogle" 8th Oct 2016

It's normal to be charged a service cancellation fee and a re-activation fee as well. It's pretty crazy, when people phone up to cancel a service you expect just that, but they cancel the whole phone line - for some stupid reason.

In practice you are supposed to transfer your service to another ISP (which takes around 4 weeks on average) and not cancel your service with your current ISP under any circumstances - your new ISP will contact your old ISP and say they are taking over the line, which means you will continue paying your old ISP until your using your new service provider. So you don't need to do any talking to your old ISP, it's all taken care of.

The only exception is when an ISP requires notice of you leaving - For example BT require you to give them 30 days notice before leaving, otherwise they'll bill you a fee after you've left. So if you notify them 30 days before leaving and have your new ISP installation date 30 days after notifying them that'll avoid any extra bills.

As said above, some ISPs offer free activation - If they don't, you can always phone them up and try and get a good deal - make sure you write down on a piece of paper what you want otherwise it's easy to get tricked into a deal that is not in your favour.

I phoned an ISP after I received a letter through the door offering decent prices - turns out the offer expired a couple days earlier and after bargaining with her on the phone and explaining I couldn't/wouldn't pay what they were asking she waived the activation/installation fee as well as router delivery and put me on a fixed price per month. I also got the faster fibre speed than the original offer was for.

Normally I would shop around and get a good cashback/money voucher deal but it was a quiet month where nothing worthwhile was available and I was fed up with paying BT over £40 a month for fibre & line rental!

If you're just wanting broadband and not fibre then it's really cheap, have a look at the ISPs websites as well as cashback co see what you'll end up paying.

For example if you got BT broadband, they are giving you £50 voucher and you can get £90 cashback via topcashback
    Broadband = £5 month, line rental £18.99 month. After taking off the voucher and cashback it'll be £11.75/month. Expired in 2 days!

Original Poster

Sky explained what would happen if I moved supplier without terminating, and pointed out that there could be delays in getting a new service if I just terminated first. They could have been that little more helpful and mentioned possible charges. Anyway, I still don't get the installation charge, 50 quid for what? If the new supplier could have taken over the line without any problems, what's changed now?

Original Poster

Thanks for both replies, PenguinsForAll, I hadn't seen yours while replying...seems like the BT deal works out about the same as Plusnet. Same company, isn't it...

And remember that you have most likely lost your home phone number as well if the cancellation included broadband with phone.

Original Poster

Bimbojimuk

And remember that you have most likely lost your home phone number as … And remember that you have most likely lost your home phone number as well if the cancellation included broadband with phone.

That's ok, never made or received a single call on it!

LaTerciaReal

Thanks for both replies, PenguinsForAll, I hadn't seen yours while … Thanks for both replies, PenguinsForAll, I hadn't seen yours while replying...seems like the BT deal works out about the same as Plusnet. Same company, isn't it...

What is the plusnet deal, and would BT charge for activation?

BT does own Plusnet, but Plusnet is a different company with different terms and conditions etc. They use traffic prioritisation for example whereas BT do not. Might cause issues if you enjoy streaming videos etc.

The only thing that concerns me with BT is the higher set up costs vs sky, and sky don't charge to send an engineer out, though BT charge £130 if it's proven that its not a problem their end

Original Poster

PenguinsForAll

What is the plusnet deal, and would BT charge for activation?BT does own … What is the plusnet deal, and would BT charge for activation?BT does own Plusnet, but Plusnet is a different company with different terms and conditions etc. They use traffic prioritisation for example whereas BT do not. Might cause issues if you enjoy streaming videos etc.

Got my sums wrong...your BT deal is indeed better than the Plusnet offering, and thanks for the lead. Signed up to it this afternoon, and here's the irony - BT don't need to install a new phone line after all (which Plusnet insisted was necessary). So no installation charge, all activated remotely. Fingers crossed, at least; will find out in a week.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung s8 trade in58
      2. Wall mounting the OLED55B7V11
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?44
      4. Keter 6x4 shed.22

See more discussions