Switching between mobiles - 2 SIMs?

Posted 9th Sep
Hi everyone, strange question for you....

I use an iPhone for everyday use in work and personal, it does everything I need it to with WhatsApp, internet, social media etc etc.

At the weekend, I much prefer to just use an old Nokia so I can still take calls from my mum and dad and send the odd text to close friends.

I have been switching the SIM card from one to the other, and the iPhone still works fine when on WiFi at home if I need it at times, but I was wondering if anyone has had success in getting a duplicate SIM card from their provider?

I’m with Sky Mobile, and after googling it doesn’t seem like something they would do. I guess they wouldn’t as you could effectively run two phones from the same call/data plan, but my intentions are genuine!

If anyone has any experienced advice I’d really appreciate it.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I don't think any network does this any more. EE used to offer it, but only on business contracts. The idea was one sim for the phone and one for the car kit. but as most cars now just link Bluetooth to the car demand dropped off.
Get a PAYG sim and just forward the other number to it at the weekends?
is your iphone issued to you by work? not sure why you don't want to use it at the weekend unless you are not supposed to?
there is no such thing as two sims with the same number.

only thing that does this is an e-sim designed to be used with smart wear that can make and receive calls like the apple watch. only certain phones are e-sim capable at the moment, but that is the future for sure.
mutley109/09/2020 11:14

is your iphone issued to you by work? not sure why you don't want to use …is your iphone issued to you by work? not sure why you don't want to use it at the weekend unless you are not supposed to?there is no such thing as two sims with the same number.only thing that does this is an e-sim designed to be used with smart wear that can make and receive calls like the apple watch. only certain phones are e-sim capable at the moment, but that is the future for sure.

Not quite, but I work for myself, I’m involved with a charity and a non profit club. I try to switch off at the weekend, the smartphone with all of the access points and avenues of communication there isn’t easy to switch off from. Sure I’m not the only one.

Speaking to my folks is important, and if anything urgent work wise I get a call, all the other stuff I can do without.
LeeTheRed9609/09/2020 11:23

Not quite, but I work for myself, I’m involved with a charity and a non p …Not quite, but I work for myself, I’m involved with a charity and a non profit club. I try to switch off at the weekend, the smartphone with all of the access points and avenues of communication there isn’t easy to switch off from. Sure I’m not the only one.Speaking to my folks is important, and if anything urgent work wise I get a call, all the other stuff I can do without.

its usually not as difficult as you'd think to switch modes from work/home.....Its often more a case of learning self control to stop manually checking work applications on your handset.

Although I have a dual sim phone with a different sim for work/home it's still pretty easy even with a single sim to set quiet/snooze hours in your email/messaging apps and disable notifications from any of the apps you use from work outside of your working hours.
Uridium09/09/2020 11:44

its usually not as difficult as you'd think to switch modes from …its usually not as difficult as you'd think to switch modes from work/home.....Its often more a case of learning self control to stop manually checking work applications on your handset.Although I have a dual sim phone with a different sim for work/home it's still pretty easy even with a single sim to set quiet/snooze hours in your email/messaging apps and disable notifications from any of the apps you use from work outside of your working hours.

As much as I appreciate where you’re coming from, changing the habits of a lifetime sounds significantly more difficult than my current mode, which works fine. Just looking for a way to remove the extraction and insertion (and all the fiddly sim converter tray action) to make it even simpler.

I’ve tinkered with the notifications, the time settings, the DND functionality, it’s all great. I just find this easier, and I enjoy not having all of that content access with the simplicity of a Nokia.
MadeDixonsCry09/09/2020 08:51

I have found this online …I have found this online https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-clone-a-sim-card

Didn’t know this was a thing!

Will look into it. Thanks!
Post a comment
@
    Text