Switching broadband - A few questions

Posted 7th Sep
We currently have Virgin broadband and phone in our house in which the account is under my sister and my mum's name (Mum pays, but sis is guardian hence her name on account).
Now my sister wants to cancel that as we're paying as lot(we're out of contract) and move to a cheaper broadband deal which will be under my name and where I'll be the payee every month.

I'm considering Sky because it's cheaper than what Virgin can offer (£25 for 18 months then £32 with a one of £19 for sky vs £28 for 18 months then £45 with £35 setup with virgin unless I did self-install) , so what would be the best way to go about switching but still keeping our landline number, bearing in mind I'd be setting up the Sky account while my sister would be cancelling Virgin account.

If I decided to stick with Virgin then what I do about switching, as again the new account would be in my name and paid by me, but the old/current account isn't in my name.

Thanks in advanced.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
As far as I am aware you can’t keep a Virgin landline number when you switch over. Happy to be corrected though.
You can transfer the number across to the new provider.
You need to place the order with sky 1st and advise them that you want to keep your number. They will ask you to confirm number and current provider.
Once your sky order has been processed you then get your sister to ring virgin to give the 31 days notice to cancel the services

If you follow the above steps then the number will be transferred across
Have you considered Nowbroadband, part of Sky, only £18 a month & Includes Anytime Calls to mobiles & landlines + £80 cash back on Quidco.
Anglebox07/09/2020 17:44

Have you considered Nowbroadband, part of Sky, only £18 a month & Includes …Have you considered Nowbroadband, part of Sky, only £18 a month & Includes Anytime Calls to mobiles & landlines + £80 cash back on Quidco.

I never but apparently "We are sorry NOW Broadband is unavailable at your address!"
Edited by: "darklighthim" 7th Sep
There are a lot of fibre providers out there it would be worth looking around. Plus.net and TalkTalk are usually the cheapest.
TalkTalk have got a bad rep. for their customer service but if you are planning on ordering and staying for your contract then hopefully you won't need to contact them. Even BT are doing deals at the moment.
Don't forget to check Quidco & TopCashBack.
I ended up just going with Sky.
Paying a lot less than we previously were with Virgin.

That's with a speed decrease but then we are getting unlimited calls and a Sky+ HD box.
The latter 2 are not important but nice to haves.
Post a comment
@
    Text