switching broadband advice - do I need to give 30 day notice? BT to Virgin

Posted 8th JunEdited by:"MRRUK"
Hi, I got broadband with BT, it ends in 2 days, 10th, I went on to live chat and they said I need to give 30 day notice. I want to switch to Virgin, but when I went on to live chat with Virgin they said they don't offer contract buy out option.

Can't I just cancel my direct debit with BT to get around that? or will that not work?

The 30 day notice is gonna cost me £52! That's 5 2 - 52! £52 smackers.

Help lol thanks...
Community Updates
Top comments
Upgrade your BT package via telephone order. Confirm when the date/time the upgrade can be effected (usually immediately), then listen to the BT phone jockey recite the dulll war&peace terms for the upgraded contract, including the right to cancel.
When the BT phone jockey has finished reciting w&p and is looking forward to receiving their signup bung, notify the phone jockey that you exercise your right to cancel under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
If the upgrade is effective next day: call back next day to quote same cancellation ramble.

Cancellation under CCR means immediate termination with no early termination fee.
14 Comments
usually even though your contract ends you will still need to give 30 days notice, if you switch faster you will usually be still charged 1 further month anyway.
would not advise you to just cancel the direct debit with out ending the contract will leave you open to all sorts of grief .
Edited by: "Matthew_mcm" 8th Jun
Most broadband providers I have been with are 14 days notice. All you can do now is pay your notice period to BT likely at full price. It's just a ploy to get you to recontract with them as any offer they apply would be instant.

Definitely do not just cancel the DD unless you want to owe them money.
Upgrade your BT package via telephone order. Confirm when the date/time the upgrade can be effected (usually immediately), then listen to the BT phone jockey recite the dulll war&peace terms for the upgraded contract, including the right to cancel.
When the BT phone jockey has finished reciting w&p and is looking forward to receiving their signup bung, notify the phone jockey that you exercise your right to cancel under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
If the upgrade is effective next day: call back next day to quote same cancellation ramble.

Cancellation under CCR means immediate termination with no early termination fee.
AndyRoyd08/06/2020 15:32

Upgrade your BT package via telephone order. Confirm when the date/time …Upgrade your BT package via telephone order. Confirm when the date/time the upgrade can be effected (usually immediately), then listen to the BT phone jockey recite the dulll war&peace terms for the upgraded contract, including the right to cancel. When the BT phone jockey has finished reciting w&p and is looking forward to receiving their signup bung, notify the phone jockey that you exercise your right to cancel under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.If the upgrade is effective next day: call back next day to quote same cancellation ramble.Cancellation under CCR means immediate termination with no early termination fee.

Thats a great new twist, I like it.
bigwheels08/06/2020 15:45

Thats a great new twist, I like it.

TBH, it's not that new nor unique. There's been various incarnations of bait&leave methodology on this site since CCR was statute mid-2014.
AndyRoyd08/06/2020 15:59

TBH, it's not that new nor unique. There's been various incarnations of …TBH, it's not that new nor unique. There's been various incarnations of bait&leave methodology on this site since CCR was statute mid-2014.

Nice! So people have done this successfully without issue? There's a 14 day cooling off period to cancel right? So I could essentially call up and then the next day, or a few days later, call back to cancel.
MRRUK08/06/2020 16:04

Nice! So people have done this successfully without issue? There's a 14 …Nice! So people have done this successfully without issue? There's a 14 day cooling off period to cancel right? So I could essentially call up and then the next day, or a few days later, call back to cancel.

Yeah, have seen quite a few posts on this forum about peeps using bait&leave successfully. Just make sure the CS jockey recites the cancellation option prior to you accepting the upgrade; you could even ask just the cancellation section be repeated if you want to twist the knife
AndyRoyd08/06/2020 16:17

Yeah, have seen quite a few posts on this forum about peeps using …Yeah, have seen quite a few posts on this forum about peeps using bait&leave successfully. Just make sure the CS jockey recites the cancellation option prior to you accepting the upgrade; you could even ask just the cancellation section be repeated if you want to twist the knife

Perfect, will do. Think doing it through live chat will be just as effective? That way I can save a log of the chat quoting the terms.
MRRUK08/06/2020 16:21

Perfect, will do. Think doing it through live chat will be just as …Perfect, will do. Think doing it through live chat will be just as effective? That way I can save a log of the chat quoting the terms.

Sure. Any off-premises (distance) sale should qualify.
Just be aware it may not exempt you from disconnection fee(s) or stop fees, just exempt you from ETF.
MRRUK08/06/2020 16:04

Nice! So people have done this successfully without issue? There's a 14 …Nice! So people have done this successfully without issue? There's a 14 day cooling off period to cancel right? So I could essentially call up and then the next day, or a few days later, call back to cancel.

Bait&leave has been successfully used by HUKD member @.MUFC. and mentioned in 2018 thread a few posts below the flow at hotukdeals.com/com…472
My contract ended today
Think I mighT do this upgrade and leave thing......
Would I get charged pro rata ?
mds125608/06/2020 14:52

usually even though your contract ends you will still need to give 30 days …usually even though your contract ends you will still need to give 30 days notice, if you switch faster you will usually be still charged 1 further month anyway.

No 30 days before your contract ends give them the notice otherwise that's a 13 month contract.
menace476514/06/2020 22:25

No 30 days before your contract ends give them the notice otherwise that's …No 30 days before your contract ends give them the notice otherwise that's a 13 month contract.

Whilst this is true, the OP had 2 days left before their end date so they would need to pay that extra month.
Post a comment
@
    Text