Groups

Switching broadband providers

Having just recently found out that tiscali offer the cheapest broadband + phone package i'm thinking about changing providers. I'm currently with plusnet (who have been great) i pay £14.99 for up to 8mb broadband 4gb peak usage and unlimited off-peak.
    Tiscali have unlimited up to 8mb broadband, free line rental and free calls for £19.99 a month. The best offer like it that plusnet do is £19.99 for free evening and weekend calls, free line rental and only 1gb usage.

Does anyone have any advice? What are tiscali like? Any chance of plusnet matching this deal?

Thanks in advance for any help

20 Comments

Banned

My mum has Tiscali and has never had any probs with them. I have Talktalk and get free calls 24/7 to other landline numbers starting with 01 or 02. Also get free 8mb broadband, and free calls to many overseas destinations. Cost £19.99 a month when I took it up but may have gone up a bit since.

look for o2 broadband - unlimited and fast speed and incredibly cheap. seems to be good customer servicertoo

Banned

I have tiscali they are good but there technical helpline is a bit shoddy.

Not very knowledgeable and most of them can't speak english.

Banned

DLM;2573692

Not very knowledgeable and most of them can't speak english.

Sadly that's the case with every call centre now! :x Talktalk's homepage even has the option of seeing it in Polish!

If you can get O2 or Sky - these would be my first choice - would personally stear clear of Tiscali, Orange and Virgin (non-cable) dud to their contention issues and drop in speed during peak times and not to mention their traffic management!

Check here to see if you can get Sky or O2: samknows.com/bro…php
    up to 8 meg with Sky is £5 a month - £7.50 (i think) on 02 - needless to say you have to be an existing customer of each - definately for Sky - non-02 customers get charged £5 more per month.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. Have done some research myself and have found that tiscali isn't rated highly but a lot of people!
    Its a shame plusnet dont have any good deals as they have been brilliant and their customer service is second to none.
    I do have sky tv so do you think my best option is to go for sky bb/talk?

I'm just not sure about moving to other isp's as i've heard that quite a few of them are rubbish!

I'm with plusnet too & am thinking about moving, I'm on an old package - still 4gb usage peak times & unlimited off peak but peak is only 20:00 - 00:00 each day so lots of off-peakness to download stuff.

I pay £12.99 a month at the mo but am also reluctant to leave as they have been so good & everyone advertises unlimited but then apply fair use policy's that nail you.

It depends on whether you have Sky broadband in your area - the link to Samknows that I posted will tell you - you're looking for 'Sky/Easynet LLU - yes' or something similar. If you see this then it means that Sky has it's own equipment in your exchange. If it says that Sky/Easynet have not unbundled your exchange, then you will only be able to get Sky Connect - which is actually re-branded BT broadband and costs £17 a month - stear clear.
    I've been with Sky for over 12 months now and they've been FAB.

Worto - Sky do have a FUP - but to my knowledge and the users of ]skyuser.co.uk - it has never been imposed!!!! - and there are some major downloaders on there!

Banned

churchy2704;2573713

Sadly that's the case with every call centre now! :x Talktalk's homepage … Sadly that's the case with every call centre now! :x Talktalk's homepage even has the option of seeing it in Polish!

It is so irritating, why UK companies use these people is beyond me.

It really is damaging to their reputation.

In an english speaking country, we should be given the right to an english speaking person.

How much money is wasted on our phone bills etc.. trying to explain situations etc.. to these people.

Worto - Sky do have a FUP - but to my knowledge and the users of … Worto - Sky do have a FUP - but to my knowledge and the users of [url]www.skyuser.co.uk[/url] - it has never been imposed!!!! - and there are some major downloaders on there!

Thanks jayhab - I'll have a look into that - I've not got sky, might use this as an excuse to get it but then I have to keep reminding myself that I'm thinking of switching to save money not to spend more on footie matches that my girlfriend probably won't let me watch anyway

Original Poster

My local exchange does have the sky equipment installed. Think thats the way i'll probably go, if i can make myself part with plusnet
    So it will cost me a further £5 for broadband and £5 for talk + bt line rental, comes to just over £20 so not that bad.
    Thanks for everyones help.
    If no one has any further input think i'll go for sky at the end of the month.

No problem worto - if you do go for Sky tv - make sure you have someone introduce you - that way you will get a free Sky+ box or an HD box for £75.
    I will be happy to refer you - then I can get my Mum a free Sky+ box too!

You don't have to take the £5 call package with Sky - unless you want the 'all calls' package, we get free evening and weekend calls and the Sky Mid broadband for £5 a month!

I think Sky will do your line rental too instead of BT - but that's up to you!

Dont be blinded by the Tiscali wording unlimited and 8 meg

my parents are on a exchange and capable of 6 meg which they got steady with their old isp

Tiscali tells them they can only support 2 meg yet it never goes about 256Kb and has been down for days at a time and parents spent £50 one time phoning techical support in India who are useless as they read from a script, then again a few weeks later, then were promised refund for calls which never materialised, then free months which never happened, then disconnected parents and gave a late payment charge even though parents were £80 in credit saying the credit cant be used towards internet.

O2 and BE are the best out there right now.

I used to be with Tiscali and they were fine until I had a problem with billing and they over charged me etc and a direct debit was rejected. Once I contacted customer services my views of them changed. Needless to say I moved providers and I wouldn't recommend them again.

I currently use O2 and have had no problems with them. Good FREE customer service from landline, phone and e-mail. Recommended.

Original Poster

With regards to sky talk i think i'm not going to bother with that, as moneysavingexpert suggests that you use an overrider provider for cheap calls, so not worth it.
    Have been looking on their website and couldn't see, but when signing up for mid broadband do you sign a 12 month contract?

jayhab having giving you rep for your help/advice, thanks.

no probs - and yes, it is a 12 month contract. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it may mean a cheaper connection fee if you take a Sky calls package in addition to the BB?

If you are happy with Plusnet, why not give them a ring, tell them that you are considering switching and ask them if if they can give you a discount?

Original Poster

Will try that but to be honest the sky deal is very good, and according to people on the plusnet forums they think plusnet wont budge.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions