Groups

Switching Energy supplier in my name if currently in ex's name

My ex is currently paying the gas and electricity with EDF and we need to put it into my name.

Is it possible for me to shop around and submit a transfer request to a new provider (in my name) even though it is currently in my ex's name or do I need to change the name first with the existing provider ?

Thanks in advance

9 Comments

Ring current company and ask?

just call the existing company change name on account and then do the switch, like moving into a new property

https://edfenergyuk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31/~/how-do-i-change-the-account-from-my-partners-name-to-my-own-name%3F

njpugh90

​Too easy.

Original Poster

njpugh90

I tried asking EDF and they tell me they can change my name but it would put me on a new minimum term as we were on their blue tariff, so the same tariff would automatically start again for 12 months.

I just wanted to ask on here as it wouldn't be the first time I've been given incorrect information from them before.

You can switch to cheaper tariff mid term with the same energy supplier free of charge. So if you have to go onto their blue tariff initially, you can then ask to switch to a cheaper tariff (if EDF) have one.
    Alternatively go on the blue tariff and pay the early exit penalty if you decide to switch.

Banned

it probably took you time to post this, but it will take you sane time to just do what you want to do. yes search for a cheap deal and add your name. no harm done, he will receive final bill once you give meter reading. plus , it's cheaper to pay by direct debit monthly and go through quidco etc

Original Poster

sofiasar

it probably took you time to post this, but it will take you sane time to … it probably took you time to post this, but it will take you sane time to just do what you want to do. yes search for a cheap deal and add your name. no harm done, he will receive final bill once you give meter reading. plus , it's cheaper to pay by direct debit monthly and go through quidco etc

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Just to clarify - It is OK for me to do that? - Find a cheap deal and sign up in my name and even though the current service is in my ex's name the transfer will go through ?

If that would work that is definitely the best option. Saves having to keep with EDF and having to pay cancellation fees etc.
    Edited by: "happymanuk" 4th Oct 2016

happymanuk

Thank you for your helpful reply.Just to clarify - It is OK for me to do … Thank you for your helpful reply.Just to clarify - It is OK for me to do that? - Find a cheap deal and sign up in my name and even though the current service is in my ex's name the transfer will go through ?If that would work that is definitely the best option. Saves having to keep with EDF and having to pay cancellation fees etc.

I think your ex will have to settle the account first.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. dishwasher mistake915
      2. Portable 2tb HDD Won't Start/Load511
      3. Photobook for up to 400 photos?12
      4. Super Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition pre order glitch56

See more discussions