Switching from fibre to mobile broadband

Posted 13th Feb
I'm now out of contract on my home broadband so considering switching to mobile home broadband. I'm just not sure whether I can remove fibre from the premises without a charge. I seem to recall being told at one time that I would be charged if I cancelled broadband without switching to another provider using the same media (ie fibre to fibre). Thay would have been over 10 years so, so it's quite possible I must remember it.
Anyone done this frequently, can tell me what happens. I'm with Plusnet, and considering going to Three. Also which is the best router with Three, please?
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
I ditched Plusnet for Three, zero charges from Plusnet as was out of contract.

I had a nightmare at first with Three as the supplied router wasn't up to it, it could not handle 4G and had to be placed into 3G mode, I got them to swap it eventually for a Huawei Cube and up until this last week it has been brilliant, this last week my speeds have dropped to virtually zero. I have done a factory reset on it today but still only getting 6.33Mbps at best, used to be 50+Mbps.
It's on today's list of jobs to do, ring Three asking what is going on as I know the 4G signal is strong (we have four phones with Three sims in)
I did a similar thing last April. Cancelled Vodafone broadband was out of contract and went to Three Mobile. Similar to the previous comment it started off well then went down hill. I was eventually able to get out of my contract with Three, went with a Voxi sim which is ok. I have decided to go back to Fibre. But looking at suppliers it would have cost £60 to get a phone line installed, in the end going with BT where no cost of getting the phone line installed.
Just gone onto Three site to check for any issues, at least I have an answer...

We're really sorry. There's an issue with the network in your area at the moment. We know that there's a problem with the service in your area and we're working on getting it fixed. Check back within 7 days for an update.

Use coverage checker to see the typical signal strength in this area.

This information is updated every 30 minutes. (last update 2:45 pm 13 February 2020)
Mobile broadband is a lot less consistent than fibre. Unless you've got a particularly poor connection to begin with or use it so little you can get away with one of the limited data plans I'd forget the whole idea.

I believe Openreach do still have a cease charge, at least in some circumstances, but you'd have to check your current ISP's terms and conditions to see whether they'd pass it on
SaltyExpert13/02/2020 14:54

Just gone onto Three site to check for any issues, at least I have an …Just gone onto Three site to check for any issues, at least I have an answer...We're really sorry. There's an issue with the network in your area at the moment. We know that there's a problem with the service in your area and we're working on getting it fixed. Check back within 7 days for an update. Use coverage checker to see the typical signal strength in this area. This information is updated every 30 minutes. (last update 2:45 pm 13 February 2020)

twitter.com/thr…=en

Good luck with that
SaltyExpert13/02/2020 15:45

Yikes

Just an aside my postcode has been having an issue since last may on their checker.

Left 3 now (joined in 2009) and won't be going back anytime soon.
Personator123413/02/2020 15:46

Just an aside my postcode has been having an issue since last may on their …Just an aside my postcode has been having an issue since last may on their checker.Left 3 now (joined in 2009) and won't be going back anytime soon.

Ha, that doesn't sound the best!
Three have until the 15th (which is when they assure me the work on my local mast is fixed) and then I'm off elsewhere penalty free
I'd order the three first and try it for the 14 days. A friend got it and in the city centre with their proper router only got 5mbps so gave up and cancelled. On my mobile I get around 1mbps with them if anywhere busy. Unless you live somewhere with not many users it's basically useless.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 14th Feb
dcx_badass14/02/2020 09:58

I'd order the three first and try it for the 14 days. A friend got it and …I'd order the three first and try it for the 14 days. A friend got it and in the city centre with their proper router only got 5mbps so gave up and cancelled. On my mobile I get around 1mbps with them if anywhere busy. Unless you live somewhere with not many users it's basically useless.

I'm already with Three for phones. I've done speed tests and Three is consistently faster. Checks over least two days down in Screenshot below. Looks like the only constraints on speed should be the router itself. Upload speeds are very similar, but downloads are much faster. Of course I am checking speeds over wifi, so one is the specs the 'router'( both phone and router acts as router) receives and the other is the combined speed of both router and phone. So a process is being missed , which is why the router plays such an important part.
39904247-0rdvv.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants