Found 21st Jan 2007
I am currently looking at laptops, i want to sell my pc. The pc itself was £600 last year, then i added the 6600gt for £150, and a few extra fans £10. its an amd athlon xp 3200, 1gb of ram, 6600gt 128mb graphics, two dvd burners. a 120gb hardrive (2mb buffer i think).

First of all... what is
a) sensible price
b) a rip-off price
for me to sell this at? its one of those "bling" pc that has neon light fans and a clear side panel and a little "door" for the drives.

Then i would like to invest whatever money i get from it + £300 towards a laptop. Now i don't game anymore, so i guess a graphics card is not really required. I don't know what is good value nowadays in terms of components and pcs, so i need your help with that as well.

I am not going to be any more specific, i want to discuss it with some of you lads here first.

I want to know, is it a good move, or not?

p.s sorry if i put this in the wrong board, i figured it wasnt a deal request (yet) more of a discussion first.

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
  3. PC
27 Comments

Original Poster

i think i might, but to do so i need to ask for a price.... is £400 way to much to ask for? considering its well looked after.

Think you would be lucky to get £400 for your pc with those specs, reckon you would just weigh in at £300 myself, if your looking for a laptop can I suggest a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Si 1520 just got one myself will cost you about £800 but worth it. Ita a duel core 2 Duo T5600 1gb Ram 100gb Hardrive also features a dvd+rw drive good bit of kit.

I think you should do £300 ish too:)

Original Poster

sounds nice, ill keep the name in mind. where did you get it from(link?)? whats the screen size?

i've also found an old laptop, its really slow, has slightly less than 128mb memory, a little cpu.... thats all i can tell you, can't really be bothered to start it up.... do you think it could reach £50? or maybe if im really lucky £100 (im pretty sure it would be a bearable laptop if it had a memory upgrade)

The link was [url]www.nice-pc.co.uk[/url] screen size was 12.1in widescreen lcd. Some people would be intrested in your old laptop you let me some more specs as I know a bloke after a older laptop as he won't be using it much.

Original Poster

will carry on this convo in pm with you J.Dance

ok morales no problems

Let me give you one piece of advice if I may... I sold my Pc about 2 years ago, to buy a laptop, I have to admit I liked the portability but

if you use software to place bids

or

you download from the net (big files etc)

I dont recommend getting rid of the pc.

Laptops arent really designed to be left on over night, they are costly to put right if they go wrong (if a pc burns out becuase its left on every night, its not as expensive as a laptop)

I have 3 laptops (sorry i'm not greedy just goes with the job), but they get HOT, so I would never leave it on overnight - well not fully on - which means bids wont get posted. And downloads ahev to wait until you open your laptop on the next day.

So I lasted about 6 months and got fed up with not being able to download stuff/wrok documents over night and not being able to leave my laptop on to place bids

So I bought an absolutely cheap cheap PC just to do that. its a fine balance now, as my laptop doesnt need to be on 24x7, I've got a huge external hardrive backs up all of the laptops/pcs and touch wood, its working a treat

Original Poster

thanks for the advice, i never leave my pc on overnight anyway, and when i download im usually on the pc. What i will need the laptop for is : itunes, internet, word, excel. up to now the reason i've had a pc is a) cheaper, b) laptops weren't special at the time, c) gaming.
i no longer game, and i will need to have mobility by the end of the year.

I've just bought an Acer laptop from comet, and have no complaints. You can find it ]here. Basic specs are intel core duo 2, 1gb ram, 120gb hard drive, cd/dvd writer, 15.4" screen.

The only poor thing is the battery life, but I only use it around the house, so I'm not too fussed by this.

Sorry to disappoint you mate but you will get absolutely nowhere near £300 for the PC.

Here is what to expect:

Processor: £30
Motherboard: £20
Ram: £40
Hard drive: £25
DVD burners x2: £30
Case and fans: £15
6600gt: £40

Total price about £160/£180 for full base if bought as a whole.

I agree with beerman everybody is either turning to laptop or Duo-core these days. I build computers for family and friends and was left with a computer of a higher spec than your own cost of components £260 best offer £185 and that was brand new

Yes I agree..unfortunately since dual core the single core PCs have nose dived in second hand values..even though a good un will serve very well for the average PC user..it's just that most purchasers want the latest technology even if it exceeds their requirements.

Try pricing it at £190 and see what offers come forward.

morales

...i will need to have mobility by the end of the year.

Hold on to this then till nearer the time that you need the mobility of a laptop - laptop prices will drop (or at least you will get better spec for your money) in 6 months time.

Take a look at what you will get for, say £700, today. Note it. In September, see what you will have to pay for the same spec. Then decide what to spend your money on.

Finally, you did not say what operating system comes with the PC and in what format - a full OS disk, a recovery disk, hidden partition etc. That will make a difference to the final value but even so I think you are only looking at a couple of hundred pounds.

Good luck with the sale

Original Poster

comes with windows xp pro, microsoft office 2000 (works terribly i might add, need to some how make it work....)

i dont know anything about the "what format - a full OS disk, a recovery disk, hidden partition etc." so wouldnt be able to tell.

im going to push my luck with £300 on ebay, see where it gets me. no harm in trying is there? I know most the stuff is outdated (especially the cpu) but its not all that bad, i'm sure theres a parent out there who would get it for their kid so he can play on games or something.

I would wait another 6 months, but if i wait 6 months then i can be sure my pc will be worthless, and if i sell it off now i still need something i can use in the mean time.

But do try to convince me about the laptop, since i don't essentially need it till next year, what new technology is there to come? dual core is fairly new so im guessing that this will be significantly improved?

what can people tell me about windows vista + and laptops? frankly i dislike windows xp, but i dont know what vista has to offer

by the way; a big thank you to those who have helped me, i got loads more replies than i expectd. i should have left a rep to you all, do shout out if i missed you out.

Original Poster

just read about the vista, mixed views on this, better to stick with xp and upgrade later?

Quad core CPUs are out but as with all the latest technology they are really expensive...as was Core 2 when it launched...there are lots more advances on the horizon and at some future date you'll see hard drive storage replaced as they progress with chip storage capacity.

Vista is launched at the end of this month so maybe there will be some good deals to promote the new software.

morales

i dont know anything about the "what format - a full OS disk, a recovery … i dont know anything about the "what format - a full OS disk, a recovery disk, hidden partition etc." so wouldnt be able to tell.

What I mean is do you have a CD with which to reinstall XP Pro? What sort of CD is it? On that has the complete operating system on it that can be installed on any PC? If so, this will be add some value to the PC.

Hope that clears it up a little

Original Poster

oh right. answer is no in that case.

Original Poster

hotukdeals.com/for…808

sounds like a good one, or is it still better to wait 6 months?

morales

]http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44808sounds like a … ]http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44808sounds like a good one, or is it still better to wait 6 months?

I wouldn't try to influence you one way ot tuther..but the spec on this laptop is excellent for the price and you get a vista upgrade...worth some serious thought.

Original Poster

i am putting some serious thought to it. i hope they got the battery life wrong, as 2600mah is.... poor. but then i could always buy an additional battery.

im comparing this laptop with dell, and well dell offers same priice until you ask for 2048mb memory and 160gb hardrive, where it shoots up by £300.

morales

im comparing this laptop with dell, and well dell offers same priice … im comparing this laptop with dell, and well dell offers same priice until you ask for 2048mb memory and 160gb hardrive, where it shoots up by £300.

Some options:

Get RAM from Crucial.com/uk - it will be cheaper (although you may have to ditch some of the RAM that came with the machine).

And instead of sucha a big hard drive, get an external that you can plug in - it will be more secure for backup purposes.

Original Poster

Diodorus-siculus

Some options:Get RAM from Crucial.com/uk - it will be cheaper (although … Some options:Get RAM from Crucial.com/uk - it will be cheaper (although you may have to ditch some of the RAM that came with the machine).And instead of sucha a big hard drive, get an external that you can plug in - it will be more secure for backup purposes.

that is very true. + crucial ram will be better to (Right?)

i might do that if the gateway laptop is sold out before i get it.

morales

that is very true. + crucial ram will be better to (Right?)

Maybe, maybe not; don't know where Dell source their RAM; still Crucial is very good.

Original Poster

rang up dell, they can't compete with the price of the gateway, i've gone for the gateway laptop. thank you very much for your help everyone, really appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…713
    2. Driving anxiety.2733
    3. Laptop help11
    4. Gas Cooker Hose Required1011

See more discussions