switching google home for alexa for only the Hotword?!

Found 7th Jul
Hi guys, I use google home, and love the device, feel it is better for answering most questions, however really deteste having to say 'hey google' seems unnatural, saying alexa then whatever seems more intitiave, anyone else in the same boat?

I'd be intrested in a speaker version maybe third party however on the sonos one i've heard rumours there alexa could dissapear
Community Updates
AskSmart Home
7 Comments
Google Home only supports OK Google/Hey Google detection, but that's worth living with for a superior assistant. Even third-party speakers won't be able to change the wake word for Assistant.

Alexa is good too, but it lacks the same understanding and uses Bing instead of Google.

You've already invested in Home, no point switching ecosystem as both have their benefits and downfalls (I'm excluding the Invoke/Homepod here as those are, quite frankly, terrible).
jamie01556 m ago

Google Home only supports OK Google/Hey Google detection, but that's worth …Google Home only supports OK Google/Hey Google detection, but that's worth living with for a superior assistant. Even third-party speakers won't be able to change the wake word for Assistant.Alexa is good too, but it lacks the same understanding and uses Bing instead of Google.You've already invested in Home, no point switching ecosystem as both have their benefits and downfalls (I'm excluding the Invoke/Homepod here as those are, quite frankly, terrible).

Realistically the things I use mine for are the following

Tell it to play music
Tell me news
Set alarm
Turn off lights smart home

Realistically Alexa Amazon can do all these things currently I never really ask it questions tbh

I know it sounds weird but saying hey Google is so robotic for me
Creatish3 m ago

Realistically the things I use mine for are the followingTell it to play …Realistically the things I use mine for are the followingTell it to play music Tell me newsSet alarmTurn off lights smart homeRealistically Alexa Amazon can do all these things currently I never really ask it questions tbhI know it sounds weird but saying hey Google is so robotic for me

I ask Home questions, sometimes I ask directions and it automatically sends them to my phone which is really handy. Hey Google is a bit of a long phrase, that's true, but Alexa's voice is very irritating and robotic IMO. Google Assistant sounds a bit more natural (though not completely). Listen to Alexa's voice in the Alexa app and see what you think of it.
jamie01534 m ago

I ask Home questions, sometimes I ask directions and it automatically …I ask Home questions, sometimes I ask directions and it automatically sends them to my phone which is really handy. Hey Google is a bit of a long phrase, that's true, but Alexa's voice is very irritating and robotic IMO. Google Assistant sounds a bit more natural (though not completely). Listen to Alexa's voice in the Alexa app and see what you think of it.

Good point about the voice might have a try relatives out to see if the voice would annoy me didn't think about that,

For directions never found it easier to do that, just whip my phone out and search
Creatish2 m ago

Good point about the voice might have a try relatives out to see if the …Good point about the voice might have a try relatives out to see if the voice would annoy me didn't think about that, For directions never found it easier to do that, just whip my phone out and search

You can just try it out on the Alexa app. It's all a matter of opinion tbh.
jamie0157 h, 18 m ago

I ask Home questions, sometimes I ask directions and it automatically …I ask Home questions, sometimes I ask directions and it automatically sends them to my phone which is really handy. Hey Google is a bit of a long phrase, that's true, but Alexa's voice is very irritating and robotic IMO. Google Assistant sounds a bit more natural (though not completely). Listen to Alexa's voice in the Alexa app and see what you think of it.

Now I think the opposite is true.

I already had Echos and bought a Google Home to try, but I returned it. I hated saying OK Google or Hey Google, I didn't like the voice, (which I thought was robotic lol) and I thought it sounded tinny.

Shows its personal choice and if you can, try both and return the one you don't like.
hottoast5 m ago

Now I think the opposite is true.I already had Echos and bought a Google …Now I think the opposite is true.I already had Echos and bought a Google Home to try, but I returned it. I hated saying OK Google or Hey Google, I didn't like the voice, (which I thought was robotic lol) and I thought it sounded tinny.Shows its personal choice and if you can, try both and return the one you don't like.

Yes, I completely agree it's personal choice. I was just letting @Creatish know so they can consider it - means they won't have to do what you did and go through the hassle of returning an Echo if they don't like Alexa's voice.
Edited by: "jamie015" 7th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions