Switching internet provider

Posted 4th Jan
I’m currently with BT and paying £25.99 i get approx 40mb. My discounted period is finishing on 15th and will result in bills being double. Their minimum term for renewal is 2 years and will continue at £25.99.

I cant get any faster than around 40mb and virgin doesn’t have lines in our apartment block outer London.

I was hoping 5g broadband would’ve been available by now so that I could’ve switched but doesn’t look like it will be anytime soon.

My mobile provider is three and their signal is not the best when indoors, my question is will it be any better if I went with three broadband service?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
If you are thinking of using 3 mobile broadband, it will be the same as your mobile signal, so if its not that good on your phone, it will be the same for 3 mobile broadband.

Best bet is to call BT, speak to retentions and see what deal they can offer you.
Try also with BT to say you interested in the TV services, sometimes that attracts a bigger first time discount, then each time they increase the price, they offer you to re-contract at same price. I got You view 4K package for free when it first came out and each time re-contract me at same price because of an increase, despite the fact I got it free first time around lol. Keep the increases coming!.
KingNav36004/01/2020 22:32

If you are thinking of using 3 mobile broadband, it will be the same as …If you are thinking of using 3 mobile broadband, it will be the same as your mobile signal, so if its not that good on your phone, it will be the same for 3 mobile broadband...

Rubbish, won't be the same as mobile phone signal unless OP regularly holds their phone whilst dangling themselves from the light fitting / curtain rail / window box, which is where the best cellular reception likely is . The difference with cellular broadband is the cellular device does not need to be attached to your ear so it can be positioned for best reception, such as near to / high up a window, especially if the device has an external antenna. My sis uses cellular bb and just uses a device hung upside down from curtain rail (actually a battered old 4G phone); I've never seen her up a ladder standing on her head trying to use the phone for verbal comms just to benefit from the best signal strength.
OP should be able to experiment with their current handset to obtain an indication of the achievable 3 signal performance, then decide if dedicated cellular kit may be worthwhile to further improve signal strength and flexibility, assuming 3 may be the service provider. But if OP is in a strong Voda signal area an equally strong contender for indefinite ongoing cellular bb provider would be Voxi at £10/m no contract for unlimited data until Voxi graduates from counting school.
AndyRoyd04/01/2020 23:10

Rubbish, won't be the same as mobile phone signal unless OP regularly …Rubbish, won't be the same as mobile phone signal unless OP regularly holds their phone whilst dangling themselves from the light fitting / curtain rail / window box, which is where the best cellular reception likely is . The difference with cellular broadband is the cellular device does not need to be attached to your ear so it can be positioned for best reception, such as near to / high up a window, especially if the device has an external antenna. My sis uses cellular bb and just uses a device hung upside down from curtain rail (actually a battered old 4G phone); I've never seen her up a ladder standing on her head trying to use the phone for verbal comms just to benefit from the best signal strength. OP should be able to experiment with their current handset to obtain an indication of the achievable 3 signal performance, then decide if dedicated cellular kit may be worthwhile to further improve signal strength and flexibility, assuming 3 may be the service provider. But if OP is in a strong Voda signal area an equally strong contender for indefinite ongoing cellular bb provider would be Voxi at £10/m no contract for unlimited data until Voxi graduates from counting school.

Mobile signals are not like wifi signals and are not affected by internal issues.

Also, mobile data are more congested with users coming on and off, so you can expect high latency and ping times which may affect the user if you play online games.
KingNav36004/01/2020 23:28

Mobile signals are not like wifi signals and are not affected by internal …Mobile signals are not like wifi signals and are not affected by internal issues.

Yeah, like buildings are completely transparent to cellular signals. Lol.

KingNav36004/01/2020 23:28

...Also, mobile data are more congested with users coming on and off, so …...Also, mobile data are more congested with users coming on and off, so you can expect high latency and ping times which may affect the user if you play online games.

OP is the one considering cellular BB, not me. I already use cellular BB.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions