Groups

Switching ISPs

Hello,

Been a lurker for ages and just wanting some advice on ISPs as I'm currently with virgin media but in my area the network is completely ducked.

95% of the time I get 1 / 2mb when I'm paying for 50mb and when its that low the connection quality is so bad its unusable, because of this I'm looking at switching and at the moment BT Fiber seems like a good deal

I currently don't have a phone line installed as I just have Virgin Broadband

7 Comments

Banned

It's very unusual for Virgin to be that way off. Are your speed tests taken from a wireless device or from a device connected using an ethernet cable?

Have a look at Sky fiber max deal for £15 + Line rental but BT 52mb package deal looks more attractive with £125 prepaid master card and also you can have chance of some cash back through Quidco or Topcashback.

Original Poster

cchopps

It's very unusual for Virgin to be that way off. Are your speed tests … It's very unusual for Virgin to be that way off. Are your speed tests taken from a wireless device or from a device connected using an ethernet cable?

Its due to high utilisation in the area, Virgin had told me 3 separate dates of when there upgrades to fix this issue would have been done, of which it not been fixed by either date.
    July 7th then September 1st then September 14th, haven't had chance to ring them again

aaqeel

Have a look at Sky fiber max deal for £15 + Line rental but BT 52mb … Have a look at Sky fiber max deal for £15 + Line rental but BT 52mb package deal looks more attractive with £125 prepaid master card and also you can have chance of some cash back through Quidco or Topcashback.

Yeah the £125 mastercard deal with BT Fiber is the one I'm looking at
    Edited by: "t3rryg00dacre" 17th Sep 2016

Better to ask someone already with BT in your area for actual speed.

We are with virgin and had the exact same issue. Basically we got an engineer out to confirm the high utilisation and not a hardware fault. Then from the engineers note we complained and got completely free internet until they fixed it (needed to ring every 2 months to re add discount) we are in the 150mb package and regularly get 157+mb so they are over performing for us.

some of the speed checkers have maps of the local area with speeds uploaded - this should help judge who to go with

Had same issue. Left VM, went to BT. Phone line activated free of charge plus cash back and pre-paid MasterCard. I've been very happy. I now get consistent 76mb all day, any time of day. Should have jumped ship ages ago.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions