Expired

Switch/speed/gigabit/10/100

36 replies
Found 20th Dec 2014
I have asked this question elsewhere on the site but thought I would get a better response here.

I have a virgin router and plugged into that is my HP microserver, I then have an Ethernet cable running from the router to my acer revo that is behind my TV, my router is about 4 mtrs away from my TV and i can not move the router, my tv is currently set up over wifi and at Christmas my son is getting a ps4.

Yesterday I put a standard 10/100 switch behind my tv as I want the tv, acer revo and ps4 hard-wired, When i started to play a move to the tv from the revo (xbmc) the movie started to buffer a bit, it never used to when the revo was plugged in directly to the router but now it is plugged in via the switch it buffers.

my connection speed is

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3998670308.png

Would a gigabit switch be a better option?

36 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3998670308.png

Gigabit 10/100/1000 makes a big difference on an internal network moving files or streaming from one device to another. So simple answer yes.

enigmatik33

Gigabit 10/100/1000 makes a big difference on an internal network moving … Gigabit 10/100/1000 makes a big difference on an internal network moving files or streaming from one device to another. So simple answer yes.

Since you are only streaming a single video file a correctly working wired network of 100mbs is easily capable of handling that and you wouldn't see any real improvement using 1gbs. However there could be any number of reasons for the buffering. It could be that the switch is set to 10mbs mode instead of 100mbs or auto select, some switches have web interfaces to adjust these settings and /or leds on the front to indicate port speed.

I presume your speed test is showing the speed of your WAN link, ie the speed from your router to the internet ? Really you need to test the speed on your LAN, ie between devices within your home. You can download and install the speedtest software onto the microserver and run the test between the microserver and say the port (cable) that the Revo plugs into . You could try swapping cables around because it could be a dodgy ethernet cable between two devices on the path .

Good luck

You would need gigabit ports on your router and at least cat5e cables for it to be any benefit.

wodmmm

You would need gigabit ports on your router and at least cat5e cables for … You would need gigabit ports on your router and at least cat5e cables for it to be any benefit.

Gigabit is not required for video playback on a single device, not even close.

Original Poster

I have just ordered a gigabit switch on the cheap, I will check the cables and ports as well.

rev6

Gigabit is not required for video playback on a single device, not even … Gigabit is not required for video playback on a single device, not even close.

I was pointing out that putting a gigabit switch into a network with a router and cables that do not support this is no benefit.

I can't see how the switch would cause buffering unless the switch is not very good. The speed isn't the problem.

rev6

I can't see how the switch would cause buffering unless the switch is not … I can't see how the switch would cause buffering unless the switch is not very good. The speed isn't the problem.

I agree, though if the switch is set to 10mbps and the OP is watching an HD source then any other traffic on the network may cause the buffering he's getting. It could also be that his "switch" is actually a hub and other traffic is causing conflicts ? We're just guessing until the OP can do a speedtest over the LAN and confirm the setup he has. My best guess is a dodgy cable.

Original Poster

I have just unplugged the switch and put the xbmc box back to direct to the router and it is fine so it issue is something to do with the switch, here is a pic of the switch

http://s4.postimg.org/4mona3jyk/IMG_20141220_092718788.jpg

Original Poster

There is also no other traffic over the network

MrToast

I have just unplugged the switch and put the xbmc box back to direct to … I have just unplugged the switch and put the xbmc box back to direct to the router and it is fine so it issue is something to do with the switch, here is a pic of the switch

What are the link speeds at both ends (server -> revo)?

Original Poster

rev6

What are the link speeds at both ends (server -> revo)?

Sorry how do you mean?

This part in Windows for example:

http://blink.ucsd.edu/_images/technology-tab/network/Win7_Ethernet2.jpg

What's the "Speed"?
Edited by: "rev6" 20th Dec 2014

Original Poster

rev6

This part in Windows for example (Speed):

From the server?

MrToast

From the server?

From server and client.

Original Poster

This is what i see on the server

http://s17.postimg.org/g2mtc6kq7/Untitled.png

Install speedtest on your HP microserver , it can be downloaded here - Ookla Speedtest mini. Do this and then you can check the link (connection) speed from different points on your LAN to the HP. You can then try swapping cables, adding the switch etc and get some actual figures for the different configurations.

MrToast

Can you find that information on the client (revo)?

Original Poster

rev6

Can you find that information on the client (revo)?

I do not have windows installed on the revo

MrToast

All that is showing is that the link between the router and the HP (Ithink that's how you said it was connected ? ) is set to 1Gbps . From the pic it looks like the LED to the left of the cables on the switch are lit ? In which case it means that each link is set to 100Mbps.

Original Poster

Are you still thinking this is a cable issue?

MrToast

Are you still thinking this is a cable issue?

It's the most likely and fairly easy to test. You know for instance that the cable that runs from the router to the Revo is probably ok, because when the switch isn't in use there is no buffering ? You also know that the cable from the HP to the router is ok for the same reason. So if you are using additional cables when you introduce the switch it could be one of these causing the problem. So if you are able to you could try moving these to connect the HP to router for instance, then check the link speed as you did above and try playing a movie without the switch connected. If nothing changes then that cable is prob ok. Do the same for any other cables you are using.

Original Poster

RxTx

It's the most likely and fairly easy to test. You know for instance that … It's the most likely and fairly easy to test. You know for instance that the cable that runs from the router to the Revo is probably ok, because when the switch isn't in use there is no buffering ? You also know that the cable from the HP to the router is ok for the same reason. So if you are using additional cables when you introduce the switch it could be one of these causing the problem. So if you are able to you could try moving these to connect the HP to router for instance, then check the link speed as you did above and try playing a movie without the switch connected. If nothing changes then that cable is prob ok. Do the same for any other cables you are using.

I appreciate everyone's help, thanks. I usually have a mass of spare cables but after moving house I was ordered by the wife to have a good clear out, the way my living room is set up it is awkward to start moving stuff around to change cables so what I think I wil do is go and buy a couple of new cables. I just dont want my son to have issues with his ps4 when he gets it, I could run another cable direct from the router to the ps4 but do not want more cables running around my living room hence using the switch.

Let me try a new cable first and I will report back with my findings

I had problems with buffering when I had a 100mbps switch.

I got one of the trendnet metal gigabit switches and haven't had a problem since. The virgin router is gigabit, and I also swapped my wireless router (I don't use the wifi built into the virgin one) to one with gigabit ports so my whole network is gigabit.

I did have other things running on the network but had got it down to the point where nothing else was running and I'd still get buffering.

Don't know why it buffered as 100mbps should be plenty and when copying files over the network it would copy them at around 10MBps (approx 80mbps) which should be plenty for streaming. I didn't change any cables just the devices and it cured it. My 100mbps switch was a netgear one (One of the white and clear ones).

MrToast

I do not have windows installed on the revo

There should an option somewhere to check the link speed in the network settings part of whichever OS the revo is running.
Just checked, XBMC doesn't have that function, but OpenELEC might (if you're using that).

Edited by: "rev6" 20th Dec 2014

Original Poster

rev6

There should an option somewhere to check the link speed in the network … There should an option somewhere to check the link speed in the network settings part of whichever OS the revo is running.Just checked, XBMC doesn't have that function, but OpenELEC might (if you're using that).

Well would you believe it, I just nipped out to try and find a new ethernet cable, the town I live in sucks for shops, so I went into my local pound shop and picked up 3 5mtr cables for a pound each, swapped out the old cable for one of the new ones and its perfect.

Original Poster

nbuuifx

I had problems with buffering when I had a 100mbps switch.I got one of … I had problems with buffering when I had a 100mbps switch.I got one of the trendnet metal gigabit switches and haven't had a problem since. The virgin router is gigabit, and I also swapped my wireless router (I don't use the wifi built into the virgin one) to one with gigabit ports so my whole network is gigabit.I did have other things running on the network but had got it down to the point where nothing else was running and I'd still get buffering.Don't know why it buffered as 100mbps should be plenty and when copying files over the network it would copy them at around 10MBps (approx 80mbps) which should be plenty for streaming. I didn't change any cables just the devices and it cured it. My 100mbps switch was a netgear one (One of the white and clear ones).

Thanks, All fixed now with a new cable, I have still ordered a new switch

hotukdeals.com/dea…014

MrToast

Well would you believe it, I just nipped out to try and find a new … Well would you believe it, I just nipped out to try and find a new ethernet cable, the town I live in sucks for shops, so I went into my local pound shop and picked up 3 5mtr cables for a pound each, swapped out the old cable for one of the new ones and its perfect.

Excellent, well done , glad it was simple.

Original Poster

RxTx

Excellent, well done , glad it was simple.

Appreciate the help, I have now also hard-wired the tv rather than wireless and have another cable ready for the ps4.

MrToast

Appreciate the help, I have now also hard-wired the tv rather than … Appreciate the help, I have now also hard-wired the tv rather than wireless and have another cable ready for the ps4.

Wired is best :-)

Original Poster

rev6

There should an option somewhere to check the link speed in the network … There should an option somewhere to check the link speed in the network settings part of whichever OS the revo is running.Just checked, XBMC doesn't have that function, but OpenELEC might (if you're using that).

Well after thinking it was sorted we sat down to watch a movie last night and the buffering started again.

MrToast

Well after thinking it was sorted we sat down to watch a movie last night … Well after thinking it was sorted we sat down to watch a movie last night and the buffering started again.

How large is the movie?

Original Poster

rev6

How large is the movie?

That particular movie was 12gb it was fine when I went direct to the revo

MrToast

When you say direct, do you mean server plugged into the revo?

Original Poster

rev6

When you say direct, do you mean server plugged into the revo?[/quote

No I mean when the revo is plugged directly in to the router the server is also plugged into the router. the buffering is happening when the revo is plugged into the switch.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to switch between open apps on an Android box22
    2. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…79
    3. How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?57
    4. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…89

See more discussions