Synology or not

Posted 1st May
Wondering whether to make use of the ebay discount and pick up a synology nas.
Fed up with having files across two pcs and multiple phones. Would be nice to back them up on the fly and access each others. Raid feels safe but aware of the risk if one gets corrupted.
Is it worth it? Is there a better alternative? Adding it up I wonder if it is worth the 450 quid once I buy 2 drives..
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
I've got one in the cupboard and only use a small percentage of the features but it's great for connecting to the TV, storing documents, shared pictures, iTunes library etc.

I use it mostly between my windows devices and my TVs as I've never really needed Apple devices to connect.

I used to use it as part of a shared computing lab for shared storage but don't need that anymore.

They are a sizeable outlay though
My biggest annoyance is our phones backup to the cloud and not to the Synology device so I've end d up with photos all I've the place but at least they are safe and redundant
darlodge01/05/2020 20:39

I've got one in the cupboard and only use a small percentage of the …I've got one in the cupboard and only use a small percentage of the features but it's great for connecting to the TV, storing documents, shared pictures, iTunes library etc.I use it mostly between my windows devices and my TVs as I've never really needed Apple devices to connect.I used to use it as part of a shared computing lab for shared storage but don't need that anymore.They are a sizeable outlay though

Thanks. Would you buy it again if it broke (assuming the data was safe to use again)?
smashed01/05/2020 20:42

Thanks. Would you buy it again if it broke (assuming the data was safe to …Thanks. Would you buy it again if it broke (assuming the data was safe to use again)?

I would yes as it's a great device, I've got a 2 bay 214 I think and really like it. I can turn it on and off via Wake-On-LAN via my Android phone before my laptop or tablet turn on. It's really quick as it has two ethernet interfaces and consumes very little power. Mines in a cupboard in th hall where my switches are but it's quiet enough to be in the lounge.

I really only use a portion of the features and could probably get a cheaper device (I have a drink 320 in a draw not being used) but the Synology is a safe choice, has loads of features and support and just works with little faffing and confguring.
darlodge01/05/2020 20:58

I would yes as it's a great device, I've got a 2 bay 214 I think and …I would yes as it's a great device, I've got a 2 bay 214 I think and really like it. I can turn it on and off via Wake-On-LAN via my Android phone before my laptop or tablet turn on. It's really quick as it has two ethernet interfaces and consumes very little power. Mines in a cupboard in th hall where my switches are but it's quiet enough to be in the lounge.I really only use a portion of the features and could probably get a cheaper device (I have a drink 320 in a draw not being used) but the Synology is a safe choice, has loads of features and support and just works with little faffing and confguring.

Thanks for taking the time, really useful. I wanted to copy over my hundreds of dvds but I think that is too much effort for too little benefit
I’ve got a 718+ and love it, features are great and it’s compact. If mine broke I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
To add to this I have the 218+.

It’s great but expensive considering I don’t use half it’s features.

If I was looking for another NAS it’d be synology for sure.
If you are reasonably competent technically, worth considering xpenology on a microserver or other home built server. It's essentially a hacked version of synology which will run on other hardware. Trouble is maintaining the server once you have it installed as you don't want to automatically update to the latest versions. However, it means you can have a much faster server with more drives than you would be able to get buying the real thing.
I had one for a couple of years that I bought with the intention of using it like you did. I didn't . Ended up selling it after hardly any use. Amazing devices if you will use them. If you do want one, keep an eye on Amazon warehouse, they can sometimes be bought for silly money.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions