T-Mobile Old Friends and Family Discount Upgrade issues Move to EE (Latest Update: friends & family Discount is being reduced from 40% to 30% as of May 1st)

Found 3rd Jan 2014
I have had the friends and family discount on T-Mobile since 2004 and every year I always get the same hastle.

As soon as I say I have half priced line rental, whoever i go to, always "tries" to get me out of it. Why would I leave?

It usually end up calling t-mobile, then authorising the deal and I end up getting it from the local carphone warehouse.

However, this year seems to be extra special.

When I now call t-mobile to upgrade, they are trying to get me down from 50% to 30%. NO!
when I had this deal it was for life even when the staff member has left (has done for the last 10 years).

So maybe im mistaken and they have changed (force more like) the people with friends and family to move to 30% or are they pulling a fast one?

Im trying to get to the call centre in merthyr as this is the one I have better luck with.

If anyone has advice, anything is appreciated

******************************************** Update 1********************************************

There has been an Overwhelming response To this thread over the months as alot of people on this discount has encounter issues when upgrading. I think this thread shall stay open so that everyone can at least assist each other to at a decent deal. From what I have learned so far:

* Call Centre's and Shops seem to operate differently to each other. Both sides letting people know different and wrong things and seems to be an apparent lack in communication and letting existing customer know what they are entitled to.

* There was no heads up for any of us prior to upgrading. We were told the (Not so) fantastic news upon upgrading and putting us on the spot.

* The Discounts are as follows:
Staying with T-Mobile / Orange: From 50% to 30% (forcing people to move to EE)
Moving to EE: 40%

* Depends on the plan, some people are experiencing they no longer can have the discount. I know old Friends and Family is ok, along with Staff discounts. Anything current seems to no longer take effect.

* Make sure you ask the person about the details. Something that wasn't mentioned is that if you move to EE you bills with overlap on the existing and effectively paying 2 bills in one month. So expect 2 bills.

* Discount, even though told otherwise, kicks in straight away.

---------- Options ----------

The Options we basically have are:

* Suck it up, move to EE and expect the unexpected. This could range from various things. I think, only go with this option if you want a new phone or (more than likely now) EE has a better deal than what your on.

* Stick with what you got and take the 30%. this seems like the less hassle way but if you want a new phone, you pay through the nose for one.

* go sim only with giffgaff. They seem to be the bes so far.

---------- Tips ---------

To get to speak to someone in the call centre, the best way is:
* Dial 150 from yo9ur phone
*select 1 for use for this phone
*select 3
*select 3

Looks like there is a quicker way and seems to get to the call centre in merthyr or newcastle too:
Press 1
Press 2
press 2
press 2

Also, If your already on a plan with EE your more than likely be able to get more data allowance as the contracts have changed. I was originally on the 37.99 month contract (before discount) which included 250 mins, 4gb data (after being prmised unlimited in store which again, sucked) and unlimited text. As the plans changed end of march, I called up regarding this as online the same plan had 10gig of data instead of 4. After short chat, they upgraded me to 20gig! This also happen to some members here too. So worth a shot!

- If I have missed anything, please let me know -

***** Update 2 *****

Thanks to theone again, EE are now REDUCING the Friends and Family discount from 40% to 30% from May 1st. THis is very frustrating

Original Post: hotukdeals.com/tag…680
Community Updates
MiscT-MobileEE
213 Comments
I used to have this, the terms and conditions stipulate the discount is discretionary and can be removed/changed at will. particularly when things become more heavily ee based as they are effectively a differnent company etc.
mrahman136

I used to have this, the terms and conditions stipulate the discount is … I used to have this, the terms and conditions stipulate the discount is discretionary and can be removed/changed at will. particularly when things become more heavily ee based as they are effectively a differnent company etc.

oooo, i hope not
T-Mobile have told me I cannot renew an old Flext 35 tariff and told me it was move on to new tariff or leave

Went into store and was told that EE are trying to get rid of all old T Mobile customers on tariffs that have low average revenue per unit and the flext's were one of these tariffs

They have changed all the discounts. From dec 18th they reduced the discount on t-mobile and orange to 30% for anybody wanting to upgrade their handset or renew the contract. They offer 40% on EE. This is so people move to EE. That's the only reason they have reduced the discount amount They have removed other criteria like minimum line rental of £30 a month so not all bad. Sadly this is for everybody and you won't get round it. There has been a few complaints. They are not going to remove the discount and it's still for life but reducing the %

Hope this makes sense and I'll answer any questions I can.
Hi - I had same issues in last month - for 3 weeks.

The plan is called Advantage plan where you received 50% off, however as you mentioned they informed me that I had to move onto EE plan, due to the fact that from the 18th Dec T-Mobile are no longer offering an handset on upgrade or change of current plan, unless I either stay on the current plan or move onto EE new plan.

I had problems for over 3 weeks, every agent either lied to me with different offers or I was constantly dropped by the agents most of them could not be even bothered to assist.

Cut the story short I had loads of problems - as I was told from the 18th it's changing. I eventually did move onto EE as I needed a new phone.

My advice to you is - you can move onto a 40% discount plan on EE, if you ask them rather than the 30% they trying to offer you, the price plan will be a high one though as they state they cannot offer a lower plan on certain phones/plans.

Thank you for the reply's, that's made it much much clearer than what i was given when calling customer services.

theone

They have changed all the discounts. From dec 18th they reduced the … They have changed all the discounts. From dec 18th they reduced the discount on t-mobile and orange to 30% for anybody wanting to upgrade their handset or renew the contract. They offer 40% on EE. This is so people move to EE. That's the only reason they have reduced the discount amount They have removed other criteria like minimum line rental of £30 a month so not all bad. Sadly this is for everybody and you won't get round it. There has been a few complaints. They are not going to remove the discount and it's still for life but reducing the %Hope this makes sense and I'll answer any questions I can.

So What i make of it is:

1 - Stick to what I got but cannot upgrade my phone / contract
2 - change my contract / phone but only get 30%
3 - move to EE and have 40%

If it is a min of £30, thats £18? thats not bad really. I just feel that its a bad way to go about getting people off old plans

MUZZY01

Hi - I had same issues in last month - for 3 weeks.The plan is called … Hi - I had same issues in last month - for 3 weeks.The plan is called Advantage plan where you received 50% off, however as you mentioned they informed me that I had to move onto EE plan, due to the fact that from the 18th Dec T-Mobile are no longer offering an handset on upgrade or change of current plan, unless I either stay on the current plan or move onto EE new plan.I had problems for over 3 weeks, every agent either lied to me with different offers or I was constantly dropped by the agents most of them could not be even bothered to assist.Cut the story short I had loads of problems - as I was told from the 18th it's changing. I eventually did move onto EE as I needed a new phone.My advice to you is - you can move onto a 40% discount plan on EE, if you ask them rather than the 30% they trying to offer you, the price plan will be a high one though as they state they cannot offer a lower plan on certain phones/plans.

Thats really bad on T-Mobile as they dont seem to care about customer loyalty Did you have success via the store or calling them?

jase.2

T-Mobile have told me I cannot renew an old Flext 35 tariff and told me … T-Mobile have told me I cannot renew an old Flext 35 tariff and told me it was move on to new tariff or leaveWent into store and was told that EE are trying to get rid of all old T Mobile customers on tariffs that have low average revenue per unit and the flext's were one of these tariffs

Funny enough, thats the one im on! damn
Edited by: "darthvader666uk" 3rd Jan 2014
There are no longer any restrictions on minimum spend amount. You can go into a sim only contract (12month) and still get 40% off with ee but yes they are your options.
It was sprung on us with a months notice. It was asked if they would/could let customers know that will be affected. I don't think they could do that. It's frustrating but at least they haven't removed it completely.
I did go to the shop, but the manager said its better if it done over the phone as they don't have the facility's to change or put the offer on. Make sure you go over the offer if you do decide to take it! ask the person yo text you back the deal! As in our case we got the deal, but when we tried to contact upgrade team the person who offerd me the deal - we where told Sorry you cannot speak to him directly - despite the person giving me the team number and name.... He said any problems ask any agent to send me a msg i will get back to you.

Oh and be careful if you go onto EE they will try to bill you for full on your 1st bill, which I was never informed of!!

Let me know how you get on or PM me thanks.
Personally I only do anything in store. Must admit you should have been told about the discount only applying after the first month being charged full price. This has been the case for at least 6 months now
I think ill trying calling early in the morning and hoping I get to the Merthyr call centre as in the past it has been the better success rate. Failing that, like theone says, im off to the store!

such hasstle for an upgrade
Im assuming the ee discounts are either the 40% off the plan rental OR a new phone at full rental?

40 percent off line rental with a phone or just a line with ee

Make sure they apply it. As they will try and get a quick sale over the phone and pretend it done..

They have to manually put the request in and will show on your second bill

wakkaday

40 percent off line rental with a phone or just a line with eeMake sure … 40 percent off line rental with a phone or just a line with eeMake sure they apply it. As they will try and get a quick sale over the phone and pretend it done.. They have to manually put the request in and will show on your second bill

awesome! i shall remember to do this however, the call center is rubbish! trying to get through today and the person on the other end couldn't spell my name

the shop first i think!
I can also confirm as theone said tmobile and orange is now 30% and EE is 40%. If you look on the bright side op your discount is a friends and family for life discount, they changed that 2 years ago so friends and family added from a certain date is only for the length of the contract not for life anymore, so your in a better position then most. The reason why your first bill is full price is because you are moving from tmobile to EE and discount is applied by another team it all depends whether it is added before your billing date. Its not going to make a difference which call center you speak to etc they will all tell you the same.
Been into another ee store today and same answer flext plan, cant renew it and no offer to go on another plan .......call centre and 2 x shops all saying the same , seemed neither is interested in retaining my business , oh well
Not sure what you are saying when you go into store to upgrade. In theory, the fact you have the discount doesnt make any difference to the person selling you the upgrade etc... all you need to do, before you go to store is decide what new price plan you want to go onto, tell them you want to upgrade and change your price plan and then at the end confirm the discount will transfer over (it will its now been automated). If there are any issues, tell them to look on there intranet as it confirms there what discount is available and to who.

This is not going to sound good however it does depend on what EE store you go to. If they are Ex Orange then they dont often understand the Ex T-Mobile discount and visa versa. Its is a pain.
jase.2

T-Mobile have told me I cannot renew an old Flext 35 tariff and told me … T-Mobile have told me I cannot renew an old Flext 35 tariff and told me it was move on to new tariff or leaveWent into store and was told that EE are trying to get rid of all old T Mobile customers on tariffs that have low average revenue per unit and the flext's were one of these tariffs

It would appear that EE are enthusiastically trying to get rid of all their customers. Anyone thinking of upgrading/joining them are strongly advised to take a look at their EE, Orange and Tmobile Facebook pages. People on there are so frustrated with the diabolical customer service received, the reviews speak for themselves.

Op if you don't need a new handset and your existing one is unlocked then I would take a look around at comparing other networks, every chance you can find a better deal.

theone

Not sure what you are saying when you go into store to upgrade. In … Not sure what you are saying when you go into store to upgrade. In theory, the fact you have the discount doesnt make any difference to the person selling you the upgrade etc... all you need to do, before you go to store is decide what new price plan you want to go onto, tell them you want to upgrade and change your price plan and then at the end confirm the discount will transfer over (it will its now been automated). If there are any issues, tell them to look on there intranet as it confirms there what discount is available and to who. This is not going to sound good however it does depend on what EE store you go to. If they are Ex Orange then they dont often understand the Ex T-Mobile discount and visa versa. Its is a pain.

So I look at a current plan / phone, walk in say i want to upgrade on to that and they will give me that deal minus 30% if its a t mobile tariff and 40% if its orange or ee?
Well, I finally got a result, kinda....

I went into the EE store to let them know about my woes with the call centre staff (they shared my opinion too).

Im not kidding you, I was in there for nearly 2 hours as the deals they have are pretty poor once you factor in the discount. It was 30% to stay on a t-mobile deal or 40% to switch over to EE.

Originally i was looking at the 27.99 a month deal that had unlimited data, unlimited text 250 mins and worked out at 19.59 a month. however, the phones were expensive. The phone i really wanted was a Nexus 5 but unfortunately, EE don't do it. So I had my backup list.

first it was the LG G2 (its the same spec phone as a nexus 5 but not with kitkat), the HTC one and the Note 3. However, on the 27.99 a month plan they watned £99 for the G2, £250 for the HTC one and £300 for the Note 3. I thought that was madness!

After going through litterly all options, I opted for the EE plan at £37.99. THis worked out at 22.19 a month and had 10gb of 4g data, a booster to have unlimited 3g, unlimited text and 250 mins and only paid £9.99 for the phone (originally it was £19.99 but they must have gotten fed up with me and reduced it) oh and a free case.

Not bad and it was my second choice phone. Though be warned, as said from the people up above, the First months rental is at full price and the rest are at discount (as longs they have not messed up).
Sounds good and glad it all worked out. The only thing the confuses me is the claim of unlimited 3g data and 10gb 4G. Ee don't differentiate between 3g and 4G data so am sceptical of this unlimited 3g data thing. Unless something has changed since I was at work yesterday and they are now doing this but I would very much doubt it. I will take a look Monday and see if I can find any detail about it.
theone

Sounds good and glad it all worked out. The only thing the confuses me is … Sounds good and glad it all worked out. The only thing the confuses me is the claim of unlimited 3g data and 10gb 4G. Ee don't differentiate between 3g and 4G data so am sceptical of this unlimited 3g data thing. Unless something has changed since I was at work yesterday and they are now doing this but I would very much doubt it. I will take a look Monday and see if I can find any detail about it.

oh no, please dont say this it seemed too good to be true but at 2 hours in a store, i wanted out mmmm
I can honestly say I don't think it's the case however most people don't use even half their allowance so imagine the 10gb will be more than enough
theone

I can honestly say I don't think it's the case however most people don't … I can honestly say I don't think it's the case however most people don't use even half their allowance so imagine the 10gb will be more than enough

yeah true if that is the case it should be ok. I always use wifi wherever I am and its only the odd occasion that i do use the net anyway
Yep agreed there is no such thing as unlimited 3G data your data is 10gb whether your receiving 4G or 3G if your not in a 4G zone you will drop to 3G but that will still come out of your 10gb allowance.
Oh we'll as long as you happy.
Did you go for the samsung note?
I also believe that we should not have been counted as new customers and the discount should have been applied on the 1st bill. Most agents do have a misunderstandings, you have moved from T-Mobile onto EE same company overall, therefore discount should have been carried over onto your 1st bill. We have been treated as new customers which I disagree, we are existing customers with less choices available therefore we had to move onto EE.

I also do agree that the customer service has gone down the hill over the phone, which I have made an official complaint, it's not like the past T-Mobile customer service use to be reasonable at one point not any more, I have lost count how many times I have been lied to and been cut off, or been told one thing or another, but never true.
MUZZY01

Oh we'll as long as you happy. Did you go for the samsung note? I also … Oh we'll as long as you happy. Did you go for the samsung note? I also believe that we should not have been counted as new customers and the discount should have been applied on the 1st bill. Most agents do have a misunderstandings, you have moved from T-Mobile onto EE same company overall, therefore discount should have been carried over onto your 1st bill. We have been treated as new customers which I disagree, we are existing customers with less choices available therefore we had to move onto EE.I also do agree that the customer service has gone down the hill over the phone, which I have made an official complaint, it's not like the past T-Mobile customer service use to be reasonable at one point not any more, I have lost count how many times I have been lied to and been cut off, or been told one thing or another, but never true.

yeah im as happy as I can be. Nope, didnt get the note as even on a 37.99 a month contract they wanted nearly £200 for the phone! I went for the LG G2 and its awesome! as close as im gonna get with a nexus 5!

you are right, we should have been treated as existing customers than new as the first moths bill is a stinger! i did at one point thought to walk away as the whole ordeal was ,madess!

customer services sucks alot since moving more to EE. something needs to be done
does anyone know if the friends and family discount is still for life if you switch over to ee???
ljopling

does anyone know if the friends and family discount is still for life if … does anyone know if the friends and family discount is still for life if you switch over to ee???

It seems so or thats what I says when I log into my EE account online but like most have found out, they can do whatever they feel like so who knows!
darth, do you know when the discount stopped being for life. ive been with tmobile since 2008 with the discount. im unsure as i want to upgrade to the lg g2 with ee and dont want to be stuck in a full price contract if my friends leave tmobile.
The discount is still for life if you move to EE it's just reduced to 40%
ljopling

darth, do you know when the discount stopped being for life. ive been … darth, do you know when the discount stopped being for life. ive been with tmobile since 2008 with the discount. im unsure as i want to upgrade to the lg g2 with ee and dont want to be stuck in a full price contract if my friends leave tmobile.

yep, just as theone said, its for life (i think he works with ee :))
And the Saga Continues!

I had a letter yesterday saying payment over due. Over due? I paid last Month via direct Debit?

So, what happened first of all is the guy in the EE shop didnt set up any direct debit details at all! even though I gave him them.

Second, he also didnt mention that Not only T-Mobile Will take a payment (To which I needed to phone T-Mobiule to get a refund) but also EE demanded a payment in advance too!

So I called EE to give me payments plus also have a go at them as to why Im paying 2 contracts for 1 month. The gay at the money side of things didnt really know much. So This Month I now had to pay £47!

Go through to customer services and they now saw my account up to date and can now se direct debit details. Well Done EE!

Then they had to put me through to T-Mobile to get a refund on the majority of last month.

Where is the communication between these 2 departments? Where?

So I had to pay the £47 and wait 30 days for a refund from the last contract! Next thing Im going to check is to make sure Im on the right contract!

Also, Im sure there is going to be more with this story!
I recently upgraded just to find they had removed my discount completely. After several calls I am still trying to get it back. Check your first few months bills and check the discount is there.
bofaneil

I recently upgraded just to find they had removed my discount completely. … I recently upgraded just to find they had removed my discount completely. After several calls I am still trying to get it back. Check your first few months bills and check the discount is there.

I think this is my next step
theone

The discount is still for life if you move to EE it's just reduced to 40%

Dont think it is (Source):

Leaving

Once you’ve added an account to the scheme, the discount will continue for as long as
you work at Everything Everywhere Ltd or the selected service partner.
If you leave or retire from Everything Everywhere Ltd or the selected service partner, or
if you’re still working at the service partner, but no longer on an EE contract, your family
and friends will stop getting their discount from the time their current EE minimum term
ends.

If the service partner you work for stops providing services to EE then you and your
family and friends will also stop getting the discount from the time their EE minimum
term ends.

When you leave, we will contact your friend or relation to let them know that their
discount will stop when their current minimum term comes to an end. We’ll also send
them a text message when their minimum terms end to remind them they’ll no longer
get the discount.
mds1256

Dont think it is (Source):LeavingOnce you’ve added an account to the s … Dont think it is (Source):LeavingOnce you’ve added an account to the scheme, the discount will continue for as long asyou work at Everything Everywhere Ltd or the selected service partner.If you leave or retire from Everything Everywhere Ltd or the selected service partner, orif you’re still working at the service partner, but no longer on an EE contract, your familyand friends will stop getting their discount from the time their current EE minimum termends.If the service partner you work for stops providing services to EE then you and yourfamily and friends will also stop getting the discount from the time their EE minimumterm ends.When you leave, we will contact your friend or relation to let them know that theirdiscount will stop when their current minimum term comes to an end. We’ll also sendthem a text message when their minimum terms end to remind them they’ll no longerget the discount.

I can see why it looks as if it wont. Those terms are for the friends and family. All of the people with the "for life" discount have the employee call discount. The terms of the 2 discounts are different. One being for life, the other being available until your contract ends after the employee who gave the discount leaves. Without going into too much detail, the system in place which removes the discount will only remove discounts when the staff member leaves if there discount was applied after a certain date (approx april 2010) any discounts applied to the account prior to this date will stay as they are on the original employee call terms and not the new friends and family terms.

Believe me, its far too complicated and it really shouldnt be. They have also changed the discount so anybody upgrading on T-Mobile will now only receive 30% and not 50% (cant remember if that was covered earlier in the thread).
Hi All,

DO NOT switch to EE with your F&F discount!! Under the terms and conditions if EE, if you switch to EE from T-Mobile with F&F discount the your discount will no longer stay 'for life'. It will only be active as long as the employee, who gace you the discount, works for T-Mobile/EE. The can also remove or reduce the discount whenever they want!!

If you recieved F&F discount from someone who worked/works for Carphone Warhouse or any company other than T-Mobile then you LOSE your F&F discount!!

After researching on this topic for a week, I have decided to stay with T-Mobile and planning to go-ahead with the 30% discount (reduced it from 50%).
darthvader666uk

And the Saga Continues!I had a letter yesterday saying payment over due. … And the Saga Continues!I had a letter yesterday saying payment over due. Over due? I paid last Month via direct Debit?So, what happened first of all is the guy in the EE shop didnt set up any direct debit details at all! even though I gave him them. Second, he also didnt mention that Not only T-Mobile Will take a payment (To which I needed to phone T-Mobiule to get a refund) but also EE demanded a payment in advance too!So I called EE to give me payments plus also have a go at them as to why Im paying 2 contracts for 1 month. The gay at the money side of things didnt really know much. So This Month I now had to pay £47!Go through to customer services and they now saw my account up to date and can now se direct debit details. Well Done EE!Then they had to put me through to T-Mobile to get a refund on the majority of last month.Where is the communication between these 2 departments? Where?So I had to pay the £47 and wait 30 days for a refund from the last contract! Next thing Im going to check is to make sure Im on the right contract!Also, Im sure there is going to be more with this story!

How do you know?
miikeyblue

How do you know?

oh ffs, it suppose to say guy sorry

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions