Groups

T- Mobile upgrade due but I'm on Friends & Family discount....

Hey Guys... Hoping for a bit of advice here. My upgrade is due with T-mobile on the 17th Feb. I currently have Flex 35 on a 12 month contract with a F&F discount. I'm interested in the Nokia 5800, however I've heard lately that T-mobile are not giving handset discounts out especailly to those with discounted price plans. I believe that the Nokia 5800 RRP on monthly contract with T-Moble is £140. FYI... I am actually an old One2One customer and has been with T-mobile for 12 years... not that I wreckon that will count for anything, anyone know if I have a chance of getting the phone for free or at least discounted?? My average monthly spend is about £25 (LOL - here's to hoping!)

Has anyone here managed to get this handest discounted / or for free on upgrade?

PS: I've never paid for a handset on upgrade before!

All advice welcome as always

14 Comments

I've been with the company as long as you and have been on F&F for about 6 years. They wouldn't even entertain me for an upgrade! The guy on the phone just said thats the way it is for me and many other customers right now.

I should really change my supplier - there's no reason to stick with T-mobile anymore - and their reception in my area isn't that great TBH,

Original Poster

Butterflies;4395293

I've been with the company as long as you and have been on F&F for about … I've been with the company as long as you and have been on F&F for about 6 years. They wouldn't even entertain me for an upgrade! The guy on the phone just said thats the way it is for me and many other customers right now.I should really change my supplier - there's no reason to stick with T-mobile anymore - and their reception in my area isn't that great TBH,

I wreckon this is the case for a lot of people on F&F :x

I would love to move network provider however most of the people I call are on T-Mobile!!

Not sure what I should do :thinking:

Hello,

i have half price flext for life and last eyar when i wanted to upgrade, tehy asked for £80. Makes sense really they cannot afford to pay out for a phone if i am not going to give them enough profit in line rental. However call up the carphone warehouse and upgrade through them. They managed to negotiate the price down to £20 (not free i know but i could get them to budge a penny, even with the classic, "i will cancel my contract and go elsewhere")

Hope it helps, also it depends on what kind of phone you go for, the newer flashier ones tend to be more expensive.

oh sorry this was for a sony erricsonn w890i
    At the time this phone was around 2-3months old in the market (so fairly new).

To be honest though i am thinking of changing for next year as i am not a big fan of there customer service

just get rid and go on o2

i used to be on tmob 6 years ago, the reception is poor unless you live in london, never looked back since i moved to o2. o2 is the way forward. You shoulda known you dont get upgrades on F&F tarriff. I know that and thats the reason i didnt join.

Original Poster

J4GG4;4395485

just get rid and go on o2i used to be on tmob 6 years ago, the reception … just get rid and go on o2i used to be on tmob 6 years ago, the reception is poor unless you live in london, never looked back since i moved to o2. o2 is the way forward. You shoulda known you dont get upgrades on F&F tarriff. I know that and thats the reason i didnt join.

Seriously?? I didnt know that you would have to forfeit an upgrade as part of joining F&F. That's not fair... how can they offer a "benefit" if really your gonna end up having to forfeit your upgrade.

Can't really give in one hand and take out the other! Grrrrr :x

Miss Money Penny;4395629

Seriously?? I didnt know that you would have to forfeit an upgrade as … Seriously?? I didnt know that you would have to forfeit an upgrade as part of joining F&F. That's not fair... how can they offer a "benefit" if really your gonna end up having to forfeit your upgrade. Can't really give in one hand and take out the other! Grrrrr :x

Because at the time it was boom in the phone market, so they were doing anything they could to get more customers... now it is quite the opposite

Original Poster

OK... so now I ask, Has anyone been able to upgrade to any handset free of charge? If so, which handset did you get? are you on F&F discount? and which tarrif are you on?

They told me a couple of weeks ago that I could have the 5800 free with the 30pm contract... I'm only paying 10pm so told them to get stuffed. I've been with them for years too and it really didn't matter to them. Appled to 02 for 100mins and unlimited texts and got a free 5800. It arrived the next day and its LLLOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEELLLLLLYYYYYY.

we have had about 9 F&F contracts of different values (everyone in the house has them and the missus too), last year we got 6500 classics for free, this year, they wanted us to pay RRP + £25 upgrade fee. The amount we saving is the same as the cost of the phone offline so started buying phones when required from fleabay and other sources. good luck and let us know if u get anything

Original Poster

[QUOTE=unseenangelwings;4396368]They told me a couple of weeks ago that I could have the 5800 free with the 30pm contract... I'm only paying 10pm so told them to get stuffed. I've been with them for years too and it really didn't matter to them. Appled to 02 for 100mins and unlimited texts and got a free 5800. It arrived the next day and its LLLOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEELLLLLLYYYYYY.[/QUOTE

So it doesnt seem to be looking too good for me then! :oops: I really want the Nokia 5800, it comes in black too, however only the red & blue are available throught network providers. You can only purchase the black one through Nokia directly. (No chance)

Original Poster

amansk;4396414

we have had about 9 F&F contracts of different values (everyone in the … we have had about 9 F&F contracts of different values (everyone in the house has them and the missus too), last year we got 6500 classics for free, this year, they wanted us to pay RRP + £25 upgrade fee. The amount we saving is the same as the cost of the phone offline so started buying phones when required from fleabay and other sources. good luck and let us know if u get anything

They asked you to pay an upgrade fee? LOL what a joke!!! I've never paid for handset in my life let alone a fee! I doubt my situation is any better than others to be fair. Damn Credit Crunch!!! Will keep you posted on what they say ;-)

i am on t-mobile with friends & family, when my contract ended they wanted me to pay £70 on top even for most basic phone, i left it at that, i kept calling every week for two months then suddenly they offerd g1 on flext-30.
    thats £15 after discount for 700min, and unlimited web&walkplus (normally £12.50):w00t:
    So i sold yhe g1 for £260 on gum tree:whistling:
    thats 56p per month

LionSon;4484335

i am on t-mobile with friends & family, when my contract ended they … i am on t-mobile with friends & family, when my contract ended they wanted me to pay £70 on top even for most basic phone, i left it at that, i kept calling every week for two months then suddenly they offerd g1 on flext-30.thats £15 after discount for 700min, and unlimited web&walkplus (normally £12.50):w00t:So i sold yhe g1 for £260 on gum tree:whistling:thats 56p per month

Exactly the same with me in December, but I actually went in store and got this deal the fist time I tried. At first they said they had absolutely no discount for me, then offered the G1 out of the blue. I snapped it up and sold it on ebay for a few bob, and got the phone I really wanted. I have a feeling this phone is pretty cheap for them to provide as they buy in bulk off HTC directly (as it is a T-Mobile badged phone)
    I don't think it has much to do with F&F as it common knowledge that T-Mob are trying to reduce costs by not giving out so many upgrades for free (a pretty stupid tactic if you lose customers). One of the criteria is of course your monthly spend which will be low on f&f.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tower Hill - Explosion reported..01
      2. One thing you've forgotten1721
      3. Bearded chat1223
      4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407243

See more discussions