Expired

T-mobile won't unlock iPhone purchased on Ebay

Found 14th Jan 2013
Hi,

My dad bought an iPhone 3gs from eBay nearly a year ago and it was brand new and sealed but locked to t-mobile. He took out a 12 month sim only deal with t-mobile so he could use it but has had problems with them billing him the wrong amount and didn't want to stay with them any more. He wants to go with Tesco but when he called t-mobile yesterday and asked them to unlock his phone they told him that they couldn't unlock it because the iPhone wasn't registered on their system. I thought that as soon as my dad put his sim in the phone and started to use it the iPhone would automatically be registered. Does any one know of any other way to get it unlocked but without jailbreaking because he's on the newer baseband and it won't work?

Thanks for any help.

11 Comments

No you need to go to the original suppliers network and ask them.

Original Poster

Southcott

No you need to go to the original suppliers network and ask them.

Hi, Thanks for your reply but that's what my dad did. The phone is locked to t-mobile. I don't know if it was a contract upgrade that the guy on ebay sold but it was brand new and sealed when my dad started to use it so i can't understand why they won't unlock it.
Edited by: "mackenzie" 14th Jan 2013

You can take it in to any Apple shop and they'll tell you who it's locked to and how to get it unlocked.

I've found, recently, that T-mobile (and Orange) are completely useless when it comes to getting anything done. Their CS are worse that Three!

i had something similar with my phone - i bought a brand new orange iphone (when they first came out) on pay as you go, none of my details were taken and i never regestered the sim (as i bought it to put my current orange contract sim at the time into).....a few years down the line (when orange and tmob merge) i get no signal in my home anymore. so i phone up orange, give them the phone details and ask them to unlock it. they say yes fine bla bla it will be done in a month - one month later nothing - i phone them again....same thing it will be done in a month. i didnt realise that it was still bound to the original sim (even though it was never regestered) that i should have used in it...so they were refusing to unlock it when it got to the next stage but not telling me....i finally find this out (after 4 months of still paying for a contract i could hardly use) phone them up, have a massive go at them down the front saying i will inform trading standards as they are taking money for a service they cannot provide and 5 mins later they have regestered the phone (adeded £20 to the sim) and its unlocked no questions asked lol...dont know if this will work for you but worth a try.....p.s. i will never touch an orange phone again after the aweful customer service i was put through:P

RonChew

You can take it in to any Apple shop and they'll tell you who it's locked … You can take it in to any Apple shop and they'll tell you who it's locked to and how to get it unlocked. I've found, recently, that T-mobile (and Orange) are completely useless when it comes to getting anything done. Their CS are worse that Three!

im glad it wasnt just me then -_____- i still have mega hatrid for them and its been over a year now since it happened

T-Mobile will only unlock iPhones if you are the Original owner, tried about 6 months ago, they said they will unlock after 3 months, but then they checked on there system and said because I wasn't the Original owner they wouldn't unlock it.
So I just sold it on fleabay and got another unlocked one.

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies....I'll let him know what you've both suggested.

Are you sure the handset is network locked ? Many call centre drones don't know the difference between the different types of lock
Try a sim from another provider - it'll either work (if network unlocked) or not (if locked).

Original Poster

kiddy

T-Mobile will only unlock iPhones if you are the Original owner, tried … T-Mobile will only unlock iPhones if you are the Original owner, tried about 6 months ago, they said they will unlock after 3 months, but then they checked on there system and said because I wasn't the Original owner they wouldn't unlock it. So I just sold it on fleabay and got another unlocked one.

I think it's wrong that they do that...it would be better if buying a phone was like buying a car, all the details should be transferred over to the new owner.

Original Poster

gizmouk

Are you sure the handset is network locked ? Many call centre drones … Are you sure the handset is network locked ? Many call centre drones don't know the difference between the different types of lock ;)Try a sim from another provider - it'll either work (if network unlocked) or not (if locked).

He tried a tesco sim and it didn't work.

Say it was a gift and go to Apple.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants