t40

Found 14th Nov 2017
so i don't need my heating complicated, just same temperature on thermostat as always

and when i need heat, turn it on by cp

so i don't really need a hive or nest just a simple on and off switch.

is it possible to. clip the live and neutral wire that goes into the t40 thermostat, stick a few pounds sonoff switch on it,

leave heating on by cp

and turn on and off heating by turning thermostat on and off.

any complications too this
a
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I might be missing something huge so apologies if I am. You say you don't need complicated so I'm working on the simple here. Thermostats tend to be set that they come on in the morning and in the evening because that is when people are at home. They can also be set to constant so they come on all day when the temperature dips below a certain point. Is that what you want need? The other thing you can do is if it is not as warm as you want, you can just set it higher, either temporarily or permanently. Many also have a boost whereby you can just switch it on for an hour to take the chill off. Short of going for the full Monty, will that cover all the bases? Ok, you might have to get up and flick a switch but if you don't want to remotely operate your heating from yugoslavia, your thermostat might be able to cover those bases already.
I have done something very similar to what you describe to be able to control both my central heating and hot water remotely.

I used these ..... banggood.com/USB…=CN They are branded Geekcreit but work on the Sonoff ewelink app.

They are powered by a 5V usb phone charger and you can control whether a live 240V signal passes through or not.

I installed these in series with the hot water and room thermostats in the "normally on state" - so that when I switch this device ON the power is interupted as if the thermostat is satisfied and the heating/hot water is turned off.

So I just leave everything on the timer as usual and if I'm not going to be at home I just remotely switch the heating/hot water off (by switching the device ON) to save money. If I want to then switch the heating/hot water on just before I get home I just switch the device OFF.

Also can control these with the Amazon Echo.

So basically I've got the ffunctionality of a Hive or Nest that I want for less than a £10. I also have some Sonoff thermostat devices (TH16) so that I know the temperature at home - so if I was away for an extended period I could leave the heating in the switched on state at home, monitor the temperature remotely and then actually control whether it is on or off remotely!

Hope this is clear.
Original Poster
Van197337 m ago

I have done something very similar to what you describe to be able to …I have done something very similar to what you describe to be able to control both my central heating and hot water remotely.I used these ..... https://www.banggood.com/USB-5V-DIY-One-Channel-Jog-Inching-Self-locking-WIFI-Wireless-Smart-Home-Switch-p-1065167.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN They are branded Geekcreit but work on the Sonoff ewelink app.They are powered by a 5V usb phone charger and you can control whether a live 240V signal passes through or not.I installed these in series with the hot water and room thermostats in the "normally on state" - so that when I switch this device ON the power is interupted as if the thermostat is satisfied and the heating/hot water is turned off. So I just leave everything on the timer as usual and if I'm not going to be at home I just remotely switch the heating/hot water off (by switching the device ON) to save money. If I want to then switch the heating/hot water on just before I get home I just switch the device OFF.Also can control these with the Amazon Echo.So basically I've got the ffunctionality of a Hive or Nest that I want for less than a £10. I also have some Sonoff thermostat devices (TH16) so that I know the temperature at home - so if I was away for an extended period I could leave the heating in the switched on state at home, monitor the temperature remotely and then actually control whether it is on or off remotely! Hope this is clear.

same thing, but instead of interrupting the signal line in, i was gonna intruput the power too thermostat,

using this
m.banggood.com/DIY…tml

with your device, using the line in, i don't have a power outlet near by too power it
That should work - as long as you connect to the permanent live (not the switched live) and the neutral. So unlike mine your system would be switched OFF when the sonoff was switched OFF.

If you used a Sonoff TH10 (or TH16) rather than the Sonoff DIY banggood.com/SON…=CN you could remotely see the temperature - and also set the Sonoff to auto (to switch OFF when a specified temperature is reached). The casing of the TH10 is a little bigger than the DIY so you would need a little more space and also would also need space for the temperature/humidity sensor. Doing this you could get rid of the T40 room thermostat??
Edited by: "Van1973" 14th Nov 2017
Original Poster
Van197319 m ago

That should work - as long as you connect to the permanent live (not the …That should work - as long as you connect to the permanent live (not the switched live) and the neutral. So unlike mine your system would be switched OFF when the sonoff was switched OFF.If you used a Sonoff TH10 (or TH16) rather than the Sonoff DIY https://www.banggood.com/SONOFF-TH10-DIY-10A-2200W-Smart-Home-WIFI-Wireless-Temperature-Humidity-Thermostat-Module-p-1190016.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN you could remotely see the temperature - and also set the Sonoff to auto (to switch OFF when a specified temperature is reached). The casing of the TH10 is a little bigger than the DIY so you would need a little more space and also would also need space for the temperature/humidity sensor. Doing this you could get rid of the T40 room thermostat??

yes that wat i was thinking, is it perfectly safe, what the amp watt of a t40, is the power coming from the cp.
jonmarz899 m ago

yes that wat i was thinking, is it perfectly safe, what the amp watt of a …yes that wat i was thinking, is it perfectly safe, what the amp watt of a t40, is the power coming from the cp.

Negligible - there is no real load it is just a switching circuit. A whole central heating system is normally supplied from a 3A/5A fused spur - the Sonoff DIY (and TH10) are rated at 10A - so well within specification.
What's wrong with buying a thermostat that you can set simply? £22 - you can probably find cheaper too.

heatmisershop.co.uk/hea…BwE
Bigfootpete8 m ago

What's wrong with buying a thermostat that you can set simply? £22 - you …What's wrong with buying a thermostat that you can set simply? £22 - you can probably find cheaper too.https://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-ds1-central-heating-dial-thermostat/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKFfpWz52oE_OO_139ysYelZWG_DLR_AvMTGlqgVhNvNN9Q34hTWbnBoCXHgQAvD_BwE

Using a sonoff device the OP will be able to control his heating from anywhere in the world where he has a phone signal. He is getting most of the functionality of a Hive/Nest system for less than £5.
Original Poster
Van197326 m ago

Using a sonoff device the OP will be able to control his heating from …Using a sonoff device the OP will be able to control his heating from anywhere in the world where he has a phone signal. He is getting most of the functionality of a Hive/Nest system for less than £5.

exactly, i surprise most people don't do this, when there just need basic on and off switch.

so now when i am lying on sofa and getting bit cold and cba to get up too cp, banggood tenner or amazon 19, 30 day wait plus entering details again or 1 minute job at Amazon
Original Poster
Van19734 h, 42 m ago

That should work - as long as you connect to the permanent live (not the …That should work - as long as you connect to the permanent live (not the switched live) and the neutral. So unlike mine your system would be switched OFF when the sonoff was switched OFF.If you used a Sonoff TH10 (or TH16) rather than the Sonoff DIY https://www.banggood.com/SONOFF-TH10-DIY-10A-2200W-Smart-Home-WIFI-Wireless-Temperature-Humidity-Thermostat-Module-p-1190016.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN you could remotely see the temperature - and also set the Sonoff to auto (to switch OFF when a specified temperature is reached). The casing of the TH10 is a little bigger than the DIY so you would need a little more space and also would also need space for the temperature/humidity sensor. Doing this you could get rid of the T40 room thermostat??

i was thinking, with the th10, with temperature probe, if power going in, with earth and live and neutral, does that mean on output it just be signal going out. will it work,
jonmarz8958 m ago

i was thinking, with the th10, with temperature probe, if power going in, …i was thinking, with the th10, with temperature probe, if power going in, with earth and live and neutral, does that mean on output it just be signal going out. will it work,

If the TH10 has a permanent live and neutral then it will be live and if a temperature sensor is connected it will read temperature whether you have the TH10 switched ON or OFF.

When the TH10 is switched off - the live is not passed through the unit - but the neutral is (i.e. the Sonoff is a single pole switch, switching just the live). When the Sonoff is switched on it passes through the live (and the neutral).

Any connected earth is not used by the Sonoff - the terminals are just there to enable continuity of the earth supply to any downstream device (your T40 if it is earthed at the moment). Be careful with the T40 - as many are wired incorrectly using the earth wire as the switched live - if the T40 is wired correctly it should use 3 core and earth cable - a permanent live, a neutral, a switched live and an earth).

So if you have a 3 core and earth cable to the T40 you need to switch off all the power to the boiler (if not sure switch off everything at the fuesbox) then disconnect/cut the cable. Install the Sonoff with the cable from the programmer

with the permanent live to the Live Supply on Sonoff
Neutral to any Neutral terminal on Sonoff
Earth to any Earth terminal on Sonoff

Then connect the cable from the Sonoff to the T40 thermostat

with permanent live to the Live Output on the Sonoff
Neutral to the free Neutral terminal on Sonoff
Earth to the free Earth terminal on Sonoff

The switched live must bypass the Sonoff and not go through it and be connected with some suitable connector (Wago or equivalent).

Again - hope this is clear!
Edited by: "Van1973" 14th Nov 2017
Original Poster
Van197327 m ago

If the TH10 has a permanent live and neutral then it will be live and if a …If the TH10 has a permanent live and neutral then it will be live and if a temperature sensor is connected it will read temperature whether you have the TH10 switched ON or OFF. When the TH10 is switched off - the live is not passed through the unit - but the neutral is (i.e. the Sonoff is a single pole switch, switching just the live). When the Sonoff is switched on it passes through the live (and the neutral). Any connected earth is not used by the Sonoff - the terminals are just there to enable continuity of the earth supply to any downstream device (your T40 if it is earthed at the moment). Be careful with the T40 - as many are wired incorrectly using the earth wire as the switched live - if the T40 is wired correctly it should use 3 core and earth cable - a permanent live, a neutral, a switched live and an earth). So if you have a 3 core and earth cable to the T40 you need to switch off all the power to the boiler (if not sure switch off everything at the fuesbox) then disconnect/cut the cable. Install the Sonoff with the cable from the programmerwith the permanent live to the Live Supply on SonoffNeutral to any Neutral terminal on SonoffEarth to any Earth terminal on SonoffThen connect the cable from the Sonoff to the T40 thermostatwith permanent live to the Live Output on the SonoffNeutral to the free Neutral terminal on SonoffEarth to the free Earth terminal on SonoffThe switched live must bypass the Sonoff and not go through it and be connected with some suitable connector (Wago or equivalent). Again - hope this is clear!

yea if we using the sonoff ten without the tempture sensor, , the power, earth and neutral wire that goes in t40 goes into input on sonoff, then the output of sonoff, earth, live and neutral goes too original inputs of the t40(and luckily it is wired correct).

and the live signal from t40 goes untouched.

if we bypassing the t40 all together,

earth ,neutral, live input too sonoff 10 input, plug in tempture sensor, then just live signal out put in sonoff out, with nothing coming out of earth, (i don't see why the t40 needs a earth), and nothing out of neutral, just live switch from output.

i think option 1 be simple as it leaves the live switch alone, but i thinking, the white pvc cable that goes into themo, is it 3 wire or will it carry live single as well, as it is rented property, i want to able to put t40 back easy without cutting up to much wire
Original Poster
and are choc blocks suitable
Original Poster
maybe a 4 core junction box original wire in there,
jonmarz8952 m ago

and are choc blocks suitable

Yes
jonmarz891 h, 6 m ago

yea if we using the sonoff ten without the tempture sensor, , the power, …yea if we using the sonoff ten without the tempture sensor, , the power, earth and neutral wire that goes in t40 goes into input on sonoff, then the output of sonoff, earth, live and neutral goes too original inputs of the t40(and luckily it is wired correct). and the live signal from t40 goes untouched.if we bypassing the t40 all together, earth ,neutral, live input too sonoff 10 input, plug in tempture sensor, then just live signal out put in sonoff out, with nothing coming out of earth, (i don't see why the t40 needs a earth), and nothing out of neutral, just live switch from output.i think option 1 be simple as it leaves the live switch alone, but i thinking, the white pvc cable that goes into themo, is it 3 wire or will it carry live single as well, as it is rented property, i want to able to put t40 back easy without cutting up to much wire

Sounds good.

A TH10 works with or withuot a temperature sensor fitted.

Some people wire a T40 with an earth - some don't. I think there is a terminal in there for an earth - but not sure.

A Sonoff DIY just has the Live and Neutral so easier to connect up if you're not going to use the temperature sensor.
Original Poster
i have decided to go for whole unit, with more accurate s70 sensor, the t40 is on wall behind cupboards so no need to cut wire, just pull wire out of hole and install in cupboard with the then sensor though hole onto wall .

i just got to find something too cover the empty space and pea size hole
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions