Groups

tablet

Hi i need a tablet that will allow googleplay purchases to be stored to memory card or has at least a 64gb internal memory. My kids have 2 old samsung tablets of mine one allows playstore purchases to save to memory card the other does not. The one that doesnt has a small internal memory and holds hardly anything and this is causing arguments . I was looking at galaxy tab e but cant find info on the playstore to memory card - anyone have one that knows? Don't really want to spend more than £150 and preferably a screen around 10inches .. Thanks!!

11 Comments

I'll be honest and say not a huge amount of apps will allow you to save to the memory card, so you may have to find a tablet which has built in memory. The Nexus 7 - 2013 - 32GB is the one I have and it's fantastic.

Find a tablet with Android 6.0 Marshmallow. This has adoptable storage which adds the sd card to the internal memory. It becomes one just 1 lump of storage instead of internal +sd. You can't remove card though.

Original Poster

Hi thanks for replies will have a look at tablets with 6.0 marshmallow... anyone know about the galaxy tab e ? Was particularly aiming at the google play store as have purchased so much from it already so wanted to be able to use those films/apps/tv shows

Original Poster

The Acer Iconia One 10 inch tablet runs on marshmallow 6.0 .I take it this tablet will do what i need ?

as I understand it ,unless the developer of the app has allowed for it to be moved,it will not be moved to a memory card

Original Poster

The most memory is taken up by the movies and tv shows. One tablet allows these to be put onto the memory card through the settings on the googleplay account it asks where you would like purchased items stored to internal or memory card. The other(older) tablet does not give this option even though its using the same googleplay account

DS58

The Acer Iconia One 10 inch tablet runs on marshmallow 6.0 .I take it … The Acer Iconia One 10 inch tablet runs on marshmallow 6.0 .I take it this tablet will do what i need ?

Yes it will (anything Android 6.0 or above). Once you pop a memory card into it you will be asked if you wish the storage to be adopted. If you select yes the device will see the internal memory and external memory merged into one.
    Few catches with this, the device will read/write at the rate of the slowest memory which will be the memory card (common thing you hear people saying Marshmallow update slowed my device down but really it was because of the card they adopted) so ensure you buy a fast card. Once the memory is adopted the card also encrypts to that device and cannot be read outside of that device or used in another device without a full format first, losing everything. So if for any reason you get a card failure you could stand to lose photos etc so device backups to cloud etc of anything important is always worthwhile.

DS58

The most memory is taken up by the movies and tv shows. One tablet allows … The most memory is taken up by the movies and tv shows. One tablet allows these to be put onto the memory card through the settings on the googleplay account it asks where you would like purchased items stored to internal or memory card. The other(older) tablet does not give this option even though its using the same googleplay account

From memory Lollipop added the functionality of "move to sd card" but some manufacturer roms (Samsung rings a bell of one that did that but I could be wrong) switched off this feature (can be switched back on so to speak by flashing a new/different/homebrew rom onto the device) and also not all apps will allow the move to SD card. Some will also only partially move to the SD card. Most wish to keep control as with most devices the user could potentially remove the SD card while the device is on and while the app is trying to access something from that card. Also because the user could switch cards again causing issues, rogue app shortcuts unable to be removed etc etc. This is also one reason why a lot of manufactures place the card slots behind the battery ensuring if a user does remove a card that the device is powered down.

Original Poster

Thankyou for clarifying .Think i will go for the acer iconia and buy a decent memory card. They will literally be just using it for playstore purchases so not a problem if card fails or whatever as the purchases remain on my account so would just need to reinstall them .
    Thanks for everyones advice!

Original Poster

Hi i bought the acer iconia and a 128gb memiry card. I told it to adopt the storage which it then showed the device storage increase however it also shows underneath it as internal storage and sandisc sd card and after downloading some playstore purchases it is now telling me the memory is full even though none of the memory card has been used. I am now back to where i was with the original tablet and have now spent £150 and am no better off with this tablet? Is there anything else i can do? Obviously cant take tablet back now ive opened it etc.
    Thanks

Original Poster

Never mind - i clicked on the internal memory bit and there was option to migrate data which i did. This seemed to move most over to sd and now when downloading anything it seems to go into the sd bit but still takes some of the internal memory at the same time just not as much. Hopefully can put everything on it b4 the internal bit is full
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions