Tablet for 6yr old

Posted 30th Sep
Thinking ahead to xmas, this was my boys first thought for what he wanted.
I'm not to familiar with tablets, last and only one I've owned was the HP Touchpad, which is painfully slow and out of date now.

Had a quick search and the Amazon fire for kids seems a popular choice, doesn't come woth google play but I've read it can be added on? (if not then this is not an option)

What else would be a good option for a similar price (up to around £100).

Happy to buy chinese brands as long as quality is good and kid friendly cases are available

Uses will be mostly educational games, and tv shows/movies when out of the house.

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
After having amazon fire tablets for both my kids I would strongly recommend against it. It’s slow, the touch screen ain’t great, the picture quality is poor, the battery life’s a joke and found both kids stopped using them after a short amount of time.
After that we switched to iPads. I know you said up to £100 but an iPad is well worth the investment. It will last much longer than the cheaper tablets and your boy will be able to use it with ease. When it comes to tablets there’s only one.
An iPad mini 3 is still a great tablet and is so easy for kids to use and is still running well and costs under £100.
We’ve had a few other android tablets and the younger kids just couldn’t navigate them like iPads and my daughter just turned 3 this month and is a wiz with my sons old iPad mini 3 and she’s been using it since before she was 2 with no bother. Actually my son got it brand new for about £250 5 years ago when it was released so they age so well it’s worth the extra. We just got her an iPad mini 5 for Christmas it’s the newest one out and cost just over £300 but will last many years
toonsquirel30/09/2019 13:40

An iPad mini 3 is still a great tablet and is so easy for kids to use and …An iPad mini 3 is still a great tablet and is so easy for kids to use and is still running well and costs under £100.

I agree with the above, an iPad mini 2 or 3 will do fine. Only difference between them is Touch ID which doesn’t really matter for little kids

You can pick them up for around £100 on eBay.
Edited by: "rofiquel" 30th Sep
rofiquel30/09/2019 13:43

I agree with the above, an iPad mini 2 or 3 will do fine. Only difference …I agree with the above, an iPad mini 2 or 3 will do fine. Only difference between them is Touch ID which doesn’t really matter for little kids You can pick them up for around £100 on eBay.

Yeah only reason we’re getting the little one a new one is she got it passed down, it’s now running out of battery really quickly and it’s only 8gb which really isn’t enough since the iOS actually uses so much she takes a few photos or videos and that’s it iPads full and she loves it so much a new iPad is all we could think of for Christmas as a main present. If it had better battery and was 16gb for what she uses it for it is still great.
rofiquel30/09/2019 13:43

I agree with the above, an iPad mini 2 or 3 will do fine. Only difference …I agree with the above, an iPad mini 2 or 3 will do fine. Only difference between them is Touch ID which doesn’t really matter for little kids You can pick them up for around £100 on eBay.

Also if we’re out and about with no network you can barely store and movies or videos so if she doesn’t want to watch the odd thing downloaded she’s out of luck
thanks for the suggestions, sounds like the fire is not such a good choice then, I'll keep the Ipad mini in mind, tho I think as an android user myself(with loads of free credit) that an android tablet would be prefered, providing the price/quality is comparable.

Not too worried about how well he can navigate it, as it will be mostly used under our supervision anyway
Maybe instead of getting the fire for kids version get the normal fire? My boy has a kids fire, it came with 2 Years warranty, he got his replaced a few months back as he forced the charger in incorrectly and then it wouldn’t charge again. He had his fire for almost 2 Years and they changed it no quibbles but it is slow, I’ll agree there. He still loves his but has only just turned 4
Many tablets have child friendly /parental settings. If you're used to android consider looking for one of them. The Huawei tablets are pretty good as it's the Acer iconia one series. Just get one with minimum 2gb ram, processor isn't so important for kiddy games and streaming. If you get a 10"Version they're good for streaming /viewing in bedrooms too (6 hours of 'Mr Tumble' interspersed with the odd 'In the night garden' on the main TV in the living room and you can see why people go mad with meat cleavers ).
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 30th Sep
Our daughter started using her mums original kindle when small & it was new, not a problem.
She went up to the kindle fire 8 HD a couple of years ago & that has been fine in a case.
The 10 inch is weaker & needs a decent glass cover IF yo did that, personally for a nipper the 8 should more than suffice.
..unless they are a cack-handed angry ill willed tantrum throwing kid in which case nothing is safe right!?
Got both the girls I pad air 2018

6 and 9

Can’t beat them
I'd second an iPad - you can put a load of restrictions on if you don't want them using the internet etc and there's some decent padded cases available from Amazon. The ones I have for our kid's iPads have survived a drop down the stairs more than once
My 4 year old boy inherited my old Galaxy tab 10.1, he has no problem navigating to his apps but the tab only has 16GB hard drive and the methodology behind the memory expansion is stupid. The tab only allows you to save photos on the SD card which is useless when the kids want to download there favorite movies to watch offline
My kids have Fire HD 8 2017 edition that I've purchased brand new for £40 during a sale and it's been great. 5 minute hack to install Play Store on it and voilà you have a great tablet with amazing battery life and good enough screen.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants