Expired

Tablet that supports USB 3G dongle?

Found 23rd Nov 2012
Hi All,

My girlfriend would like a tablet for Christmas but she'd like to use her Three 3G dongle with it while on long train journeys etc. She has an old none smart mobile phone on a very basic contract, so tethering the tablet is not an option.

From a bit of research it seems that both the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 are locked-down to prevent the use of dongles via their USB ports.

Can anyone suggest a fairly decent sub £200 tablet that will allow accept a 3G dongle?

Many thanks for your help,
M.

12 Comments

you could get a kindle fire or what ever tablet and get a 3mifi device to go with it for less than 200 quid.

Dongle... hehe

Original Poster

you could get a kindle fire or what ever tablet and get a 3mifi device to … you could get a kindle fire or what ever tablet and get a 3mifi device to go with it for less than 200 quid.

I hadn't realised the MiFi runs off batteries, I thought it was mains powered, so this might be the perfect solution!

Stretch a little and get the 3g nexus 7 for £239, best by far for the … Stretch a little and get the 3g nexus 7 for £239, best by far for the price.

Unfortunately £200 is my limit.

you could get a kindle fire or what ever tablet and get a 3mifi device to … you could get a kindle fire or what ever tablet and get a 3mifi device to go with it for less than 200 quid.

Stretch a little and get the 3g nexus 7 for £239, best by far for the … Stretch a little and get the 3g nexus 7 for £239, best by far for the price.

seems odd you can't dig up another £39? not a lot of money to dig up surely, 39 quids?

Banned

mutley1

seems odd you can't dig up another £39? not a lot of money to dig up … seems odd you can't dig up another £39? not a lot of money to dig up surely, 39 quids?

Its a lot of money if you havent got it

Original Poster

mutley1

seems odd you can't dig up another £39? not a lot of money to dig up … seems odd you can't dig up another £39? not a lot of money to dig up surely, 39 quids?

Budget originally was £150 so £239 may not be a lot to some people but it is to me.

MPLP

Budget originally was £150 so £239 may not be a lot to some people but it … Budget originally was £150 so £239 may not be a lot to some people but it is to me.

you said you have £200 to spend max. so it would be worthwhile to wait a little bit longer and save up that extra £39 to get what you want? if you wait a little longer, the tablet may come down in price enough so you may only need £15 extra say, especially after christmas?

Original Poster

mutley1

if you wait a little longer, the tablet may come down in price enough so … if you wait a little longer, the tablet may come down in price enough so you may only need £15 extra say, especially after christmas?

Good idea, I'm sure they'll be a tablet price war nearer to or after Christmas.

MPLP

Good idea, I'm sure they'll be a tablet price war nearer to or after … Good idea, I'm sure they'll be a tablet price war nearer to or after Christmas.

when i buy anything, i always keep an eye out on the deal section on here for when it comes on sale and if you are willing to wait a few months, they always inevitably get picked up as a sale item by a helpful hukd member.

I would tether your Internet connection create wifi hotspots on your mobile

I would tether your Internet connection create wifi hotspots on your mobile

i've been researching ainol novo 10 hero II sounds really promising and they sell their own dongle
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants