Tablets: is having a compass necessary if wanting to use for satnav and navigation?

11 replies
Found 23rd Nov 2016
I'm looking to buy a new tablet, but would want to use it for satnav. Of the two I'm looking at, one has compass and gyroscope - the other doesn't. But the one with has a smaller screen. How essential are these?

Any help on these features would be much appreciated as I would like to use it for satnav (my phone doesn't have compass either).

10 Comments

Usually only require gps for satnav, other chips can help make them more accurate etc..

Original Poster

Thanks, is gyroscope just for games? As I don't care about that. I only care about accuracy.

As for compass: does it make a huge difference to GPS? As if so I'd rather have one with!

A compass can help in walking mode, as it will correctly show which way you are facing, other than that .......

Duckman

Thanks, is gyroscope just for games? As I don't care about that. I only … Thanks, is gyroscope just for games? As I don't care about that. I only care about accuracy. As for compass: does it make a huge difference to GPS? As if so I'd rather have one with!

​Don't think it makes much difference if any. All my phones so far would not pin point my location until I started to drive. Why would you use a table for sat nav anyway? Think you would make yourself a target for the old bill!

Duckman

Thanks, is gyroscope just for games? As I don't care about that. I only … Thanks, is gyroscope just for games? As I don't care about that. I only care about accuracy. As for compass: does it make a huge difference to GPS? As if so I'd rather have one with!

I don't think they make much difference tbh, Alot will depend on the app, basic satnav only needs gps to work.

Original Poster

wayners

​Don't think it makes much difference if any. All my phones so far would n … ​Don't think it makes much difference if any. All my phones so far would not pin point my location until I started to drive. Why would you use a table for sat nav anyway? Think you would make yourself a target for the old bill!

​Because my eyesight is poor.

Original Poster

Thanks all. Why are people down voting your comments? All seemed helpful to me.

Duckman

Thanks all. Why are people down voting your comments? All seemed helpful … Thanks all. Why are people down voting your comments? All seemed helpful to me.

​i have 2 phablets 7" but just use them as sat navs, both under £40 from gearbest,
mapfactor navigator free from play store,
both work fine.

Duckman

Thanks all. Why are people down voting your comments? All seemed helpful … Thanks all. Why are people down voting your comments? All seemed helpful to me.

​eyes too bad to see a satnav, and you're driving?

oO

Original Poster

adam_holcombe

​eyes too bad to see a satnav, and you're driving?oO

No, only with small print. My phone is too old so I figured I could use a (smaller) tablet.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769296
    2. Coming up to bonfire night ...2130
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604800
    4. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608652

See more discussions