Tag Huer Watch

Posted 11th Oct
Hi
New to this.

There’s a watch I’m interested but not sure whether it’s a good pick

ernestjones.co.uk/web…ch/

Can get the watch for £900

Are these watches any good and do they keep their value?
Community Updates

Groups

32 Comments
Never Huerd of 'em.
I would get a radio controlled watch .
Might find one on Aliexpress if you use that definition/spelling!!

As for Tags, I don't think they hold their value the way a Rolex or Patek Philippe would?

I think collecting watches with the hope of curating a heirloom is folly, and, of course, high-end Automatics have to be serviced - how often/cost depends on what you read (most buyers of high-end Automatics ask for its service history).
Edited by: "louiselouise" 12th Oct
I personally would never spend that amount of money on a quartz watch. That said and done I quite like the look of the watch and the alarm feature is a nice addition.

This might help

From that link the Monaco quite clearly holds it's price and is unusual in appearance and I like that.

Second hand Tag Heuer Monaco
Edited by: "OllieSt" 12th Oct
I'm glad you decided to get help before buying as that's horrible and no where near a £50 watch let alone £1100.
OllieSt12/10/2019 06:03

I personally would never spend that amount of money on a quartz watch. …I personally would never spend that amount of money on a quartz watch. That said and done I quite like the look of the watch and the alarm feature is a nice addition.This might helpFrom that link the Monaco quite clearly holds it's price and is unusual in appearance and I like that.Second hand Tag Heuer Monaco

Thank you for your reply

What alternative would you recommend around the £1000 price point ?
AW007912/10/2019 00:56

I would get a radio controlled watch .

Are you talking about the citizen watches ?

I personally would never spend that amount of money on a quartz watch. …I personally would never spend that amount of money on a quartz watch. That said and done I quite like the look of the watch and the alarm feature is a nice addition.This might helpFrom that link the Monaco quite clearly holds it's price and is unusual in appearance and I like that.Second hand Tag Heuer Monaco

Looking at the watch finder website the pre owned formula 1 tag huers don’t t tend to depreciate much ?
Zed96312/10/2019 08:45

Are you talking about the citizen watches ?

No,casio wave ceptor.I've got one now for about 9 years.It sets the time every night,never wrong .
Zed96312/10/2019 08:45

Thank you for your reply What alternative would you recommend around the …Thank you for your reply What alternative would you recommend around the £1000 price point ?

My taste and choices are more than likely not going to be what you're looking for. At the moment I'm hooked on 70's Seiko's but they're very different to the TAG so I'm not going to be of any use to you.

But for example this is under 2 years old, and has a movement rather than quartz. Of course it's a different looking watch, but if I were in your shoes I would be doing research along those lines.

I've got my radio controlled G Shock for an accurate everyday watch but I have no issue paying for a service every 1-2 years to keep my older watches finely tuned. My everyday watch at the moment is a 70's King Seiko but it's time for a service. It all depends what you want from a watch. If you like the watch you have posted then get it. Ultimately it's your choice. The fact you're asking indicates that you still have some looking to do
OllieSt12/10/2019 09:12

My taste and choices are more than likely not going to be what you're …My taste and choices are more than likely not going to be what you're looking for. At the moment I'm hooked on 70's Seiko's but they're very different to the TAG so I'm not going to be of any use to you.But for example this is under 2 years old, and has a movement rather than quartz. Of course it's a different looking watch, but if I were in your shoes I would be doing research along those lines.I've got my radio controlled G Shock for an accurate everyday watch but I have no issue paying for a service every 1-2 years to keep my older watches finely tuned. My everyday watch at the moment is a 70's King Seiko but it's time for a service. It all depends what you want from a watch. If you like the watch you have posted then get it. Ultimately it's your choice. The fact you're asking indicates that you still have some looking to do

Since I’m a noob
What should I be looking out for in watches?
How do you know whether a watch will retain value ?
So would you say that the tag I posted isn’t worth the money brand new?
No such thing as a noob, you like what you like and it's your money. Buy a watch that is pleasing to your eye. I grew up with the only option being automatic movement watches. I then saw the quartz watches come into play and boy were they expensive when they first came out. But during all of that the movement watches still held their own. I just believe there is much more craftsmanship involved in movement watches and that's my thing. I am not a flashy type of person and prefer spending the money on what's under the bonnet rather than eye candy. Of course I still have to like the look of the watch.

Buy a watch to wear, that's the value of it. I think a brand new quartz watch is never going to be worth the money compared to the same brand 2nd hand movement watch, but that's just my opinion. When you buy a movement watch you can research that movement. What you quite often find is the self same movement being used by various manufacturers. You will then see that you can pay an awful lot more money just for the brand, although watch bracelets are a really important factor too.

For me it's just far more interesting owning a movement watch

The TAG eBay link I posted has an Automatic Calibre 5 Movement, A bit of research leads to this information. I could then find other watches that have the same movement. And that's what is enjoyable for me. Most probably not a good idea to follow in my mixed up world.

Have you tried on the Tag you are interested in?
OllieSt12/10/2019 09:32

No such thing as a noob, you like what you like and it's your money. Buy …No such thing as a noob, you like what you like and it's your money. Buy a watch that is pleasing to your eye. I grew up with the only option being automatic movement watches. I then saw the quartz watches come into play and boy were they expensive when they first came out. But during all of that the movement watches still held their own. I just believe there is much more craftsmanship involved in movement watches and that's my thing. I am not a flashy type of person and prefer spending the money on what's under the bonnet rather than eye candy. Of course I still have to like the look of the watch.Buy a watch to wear, that's the value of it. I think a brand new quartz watch is never going to be worth the money compared to the same brand 2nd hand movement watch, but that's just my opinion. When you buy a movement watch you can research that movement. What you quite often find is the self same movement being used by various manufacturers. You will then see that you can pay an awful lot more money just for the brand, although watch bracelets are a really important factor too.For me it's just far more interesting owning a movement watch The TAG eBay link I posted has an Automatic Calibre 5 Movement, A bit of research leads to this information. I could then find other watches that have the same movement. And that's what is enjoyable for me. Most probably not a good idea to follow in my mixed up world. Have you tried on the Tag you are interested in?

Thank you for your reply

I have tried on the Tag and I currently have it at the minute. I bought it pre owned at Ernest jones for £800 however after purchasing realises that the alarm function is off by two minutes. Thus went back to Ernest Jones and they offered three options
1) refund the watch and cancel the finance on the product
2) send it off to Tag to get it serviced and fixed which can take 8 weeks
3) manager was applying a good gesture and said give an extra £100 and I’ll give a brand new one

So that’s my dilemma to be honest, not quite sure what to do ?
OllieSt12/10/2019 09:32

No such thing as a noob, you like what you like and it's your money. Buy …No such thing as a noob, you like what you like and it's your money. Buy a watch that is pleasing to your eye. I grew up with the only option being automatic movement watches. I then saw the quartz watches come into play and boy were they expensive when they first came out. But during all of that the movement watches still held their own. I just believe there is much more craftsmanship involved in movement watches and that's my thing. I am not a flashy type of person and prefer spending the money on what's under the bonnet rather than eye candy. Of course I still have to like the look of the watch.Buy a watch to wear, that's the value of it. I think a brand new quartz watch is never going to be worth the money compared to the same brand 2nd hand movement watch, but that's just my opinion. When you buy a movement watch you can research that movement. What you quite often find is the self same movement being used by various manufacturers. You will then see that you can pay an awful lot more money just for the brand, although watch bracelets are a really important factor too.For me it's just far more interesting owning a movement watch The TAG eBay link I posted has an Automatic Calibre 5 Movement, A bit of research leads to this information. I could then find other watches that have the same movement. And that's what is enjoyable for me. Most probably not a good idea to follow in my mixed up world. Have you tried on the Tag you are interested in?

The other thing to note is that the pre owned tag only comes with a year of Ernest Jones warranty
Whereas a new Tag actually has the Tag warranty for 2 years

Oh, it's quartz.. I didn't even look at it
louiselouise12/10/2019 11:44

Oh, it's quartz.. I didn't even look at it

Lol you guys are making me feel like a proper plonker for splashing this much on a quartz.
I found this which I might go for and return the Tag

goldsmiths.co.uk/Tis…66/

Whole lot of watch for a small price ?
Zed96312/10/2019 10:25

Thank you for your reply I have tried on the Tag and I currently have it …Thank you for your reply I have tried on the Tag and I currently have it at the minute. I bought it pre owned at Ernest jones for £800 however after purchasing realises that the alarm function is off by two minutes. Thus went back to Ernest Jones and they offered three options 1) refund the watch and cancel the finance on the product 2) send it off to Tag to get it serviced and fixed which can take 8 weeks 3) manager was applying a good gesture and said give an extra £100 and I’ll give a brand new one So that’s my dilemma to be honest, not quite sure what to do ?

You obviously like the watch.

If I was in your shoes I would go back to the manager and suggest option 3 with £150 discount or option 1 whilst telling him that you are amazed that a quality company like Ernest Jones did not fully test and service their pre-owned stock prior to re-selling it

That way you have let the manager decide if you get to own the watch you like rather than some random guy on HUKD
Zed96312/10/2019 11:48

Lol you guys are making me feel like a proper plonker for splashing this …Lol you guys are making me feel like a proper plonker for splashing this much on a quartz. I found this which I might go for and return the Tag https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Tissot-Automatics-III-Day-Date-T0659301103100%C2%A0/p/17361166/#fo_c=655&fo_k=84d71de6b5e20b21afa4d0d71d0efd24&fo_s=slisysWhole lot of watch for a small price 😄

Tissot bracelets are pants, and just because others don't like quartz don't let that put you off. How about people being prepared to buy a movement watch that won't keep the time in an accurate manner by comparison to a £20 watch. Are they plonkers?
OllieSt12/10/2019 11:53

You obviously like the watch.If I was in your shoes I would go back to the …You obviously like the watch.If I was in your shoes I would go back to the manager and suggest option 3 with £150 discount or option 1 whilst telling him that you are amazed that a quality company like Ernest Jones did not fully test and service their pre-owned stock prior to re-selling it That way you have let the manager decide if you get to own the watch you like rather than some random guy on HUKD

I tried option three he wasn’t willing do make the price lower. He was sticking with £900 brand new which in fairness is a £300 discount from rrp so it’s either refund or pay the extra £100
OllieSt12/10/2019 11:56

Tissot bracelets are pants, and just because others don't like quartz …Tissot bracelets are pants, and just because others don't like quartz don't let that put you off. How about people being prepared to buy a movement watch that won't keep the time in an accurate manner by comparison to a £20 watch. Are they plonkers?

True,

The thing that’s bugging me is

1) What will the value be of the watch a few years down the line ?
2) would it be better to get an automatic so I don’t have to replace the battery every 2 years or so which is probably gonna cost over £50
Or am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way
Zed96312/10/2019 12:04

True,The thing that’s bugging me is1) What will the value be of the watch a …True,The thing that’s bugging me is1) What will the value be of the watch a few years down the line ? 2) would it be better to get an automatic so I don’t have to replace the battery every 2 years or so which is probably gonna cost over £50 Or am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way

Buy a watch that you can afford to wear and enjoy it. You seem obsessed with what this watch is going to be worth in a 'few years'. Why? I can promise you if you have the bug for another watch in a few years time you'll just get another one rather than get rid of this one.

Is £900 a good deal for this particular watch? I would say yes with that 2 year warranty. The cost of replacement batteries will be far cheaper than the costs involved to properly maintain a movement watch.
Zed96312/10/2019 12:04

True,The thing that’s bugging me is1) What will the value be of the watch a …True,The thing that’s bugging me is1) What will the value be of the watch a few years down the line ? 2) would it be better to get an automatic so I don’t have to replace the battery every 2 years or so which is probably gonna cost over £50 Or am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way

Surely it should be

1) Do I like it, will I wear it and enjoy it for years to come? (rather than "who will it impress"/"can I sell it later" or whatever)
Though, if you do want to "flip" a watch, you're better going for a much-coveted limited edition. At the affordable end, Seiko has released a few Limited Editions lately, notably the Blue Alpinist, which I saw on ebay not long after Hodinkee sold out for twice the price. Though what determines price is years later, not a few months in the honeymoon period.

2) What is most suitable for your lifestyle (obviously Automatics need a bit more babying - boyf hates them and will only ever consider a Radio Controlled Watch or Quartz). Are you needing a dressy, sporty, casual, tough watch?

Watchuseek is probably the best forum to go on if you want to widen your knowledge but, of course, some members are not averse to snobbery (it's pretty well-moderated on there, though) and it's US-centric (tz forums is UK, but they tend to chatter about luxury watches only). The "Automatic is king" mindset did surprise me a bit when I was a noob - I have a few myself now, but unless the watch is well-regulated you'll find youself adjusting it every 10 days or so.

My watches are all at the affordable end!!! But if I was going to buy a higher-end watch RIGHT NOW (and I don't really like Rolex Subs) there's a few Omegas I like, but after being obsessed by the Apollo Missions in recent months, I'd want a 50th Anniversary Moon Watch

Edit: I should also add, try not to get too swept away by forum "popular opinion". It's easy to get brainwashed by forum raves and impulse buys and you can become a lemming (at least my mistakes have been affordable ones). The only choice that matters is yours, but of course you want the best for your money.
For a £1000 budget I would look at a 2nd Hand Omega with a Box and all the relevant paperwork rather than buy a brand new Tag.
Forget the Tissot, it won’t hold any value.
Example eBay Seamaster Crown
eBay Seamaster Blue Wave
If you like it buy it, only you know what you want to spend. Don’t worry about keeping value no £1000 watch will. As long as you buy because you like it you can’t go wrong. If your buying to show off anyone who knows watches will laugh at a tag. Rado do some nice watches for that sort of money if you look around, there not as chaffy as tag as they are not so well known. Personally I’d wait and spend a few more grand and get a proper movement in the watch, that’s what helps keep value. COSC is the name of the certificate... you get them with good makes what use proper movements.
Bargainhead12/10/2019 14:16

If you like it buy it, only you know what you want to spend. Don’t worry a …If you like it buy it, only you know what you want to spend. Don’t worry about keeping value no £1000 watch will. As long as you buy because you like it you can’t go wrong. If your buying to show off anyone who knows watches will laugh at a tag. Rado do some nice watches for that sort of money if you look around, there not as chaffy as tag as they are not so well known. Personally I’d wait and spend a few more grand and get a proper movement in the watch, that’s what helps keep value. COSC is the name of the certificate... you get them with good makes what use proper movements.

What would you recommend
Zed96312/10/2019 14:52

What would you recommend

For your money maybe Rado, Raymond Weil. But personally I’d add a bit and go for omega, breitling, Bremont, there relatively cheap watches with good movement and certifications. Rolex you pay a premium for the same movements inside, there also produce 800,000 a year and a lot more fakes so quite common... this is all just personal opinion...
OllieSt12/10/2019 17:05

Much cheaper

Sort of missing the point, seems op wants a name to show off. Seiko use to make good watches, citizens make some good watches around £400-£500 with 5 year warranty and lots of features like radio controlled but not really names to show off. I personally don’t think tag is a good name either, it’s cost me £500 to get my watch serviced and take a couple of month while it’s sent away to get done, then comes back with another 2 years warranty.
Bargainhead12/10/2019 20:37

Sort of missing the point, seems op wants a name to show off. Seiko use to …Sort of missing the point, seems op wants a name to show off. Seiko use to make good watches, citizens make some good watches around £400-£500 with 5 year warranty and lots of features like radio controlled but not really names to show off. I personally don’t think tag is a good name either, it’s cost me £500 to get my watch serviced and take a couple of month while it’s sent away to get done, then comes back with another 2 years warranty.

Loll

I do want a watch that’s pretty to look at and serves some sort of function. Plus who doesn’t like a watch which is somewhat valued in society.
I already own a citizen eco drive and a rotary skeleton watch as well. I was just wondering whether it would be worth to splurge out on something nicer but I’m getting the feeling that it may be better to stick with my Apple Watch no servicing costs, no severe depreciation, good functionality etc....
LoL you've walked into the bear pit of the watch fan here! I remember a thread from a couple of years back for an Omega that went on for about 15 pages of vitriolic rants!
Anyway, for what its worth, decide how much you can spend. Do you care if the inside the case there is a mechanical movement that is an invisible work of art? Or is a super accurate and reliable quartz movement acceptable? (This is not snobbery, its just that some peeps like the idea of mechanical watches, that they are more human made). Could you accept a 2nd owner watch or does it have to be new? Can you be bothered to research what is worth having and what is not? In the same vein, are you bothered about potential resale value? If so, go back to research. Could you live with a craftsman made watch from a lessor known brand? Back to research if you can. Do you really want to wander around with a couple of grand attached to your wrist? In some countries thats an invite for a mugging! Can you be bothered to insure the thing as a separate item on your home insurance? Can you be bothered to do the necessary and sometimes expensive servicing that a mechanical watch needs? When you've though about this lot, your quartz TAG might be the best option, or you may want something else. Good luck.
Zed96312/10/2019 20:49

LollI do want a watch that’s pretty to look at and serves some sort of f …LollI do want a watch that’s pretty to look at and serves some sort of function. Plus who doesn’t like a watch which is somewhat valued in society. I already own a citizen eco drive and a rotary skeleton watch as well. I was just wondering whether it would be worth to splurge out on something nicer but I’m getting the feeling that it may be better to stick with my Apple Watch no servicing costs, no severe depreciation, good functionality etc....

My point is a tag is not valued in the watch world, same as fashion brand watches. But to people who don’t really know about watch makes or movements and Live down the council estate a tag will look good. I’m not saying your from a council estate I’m trying to make a point about tags not been valued really...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants