Takeaway delivery driver tips

Posted 18th Oct
Just wondering... when ordering a takeaway, lets say from justeat, do you give a tip the delivery driver?

I have never done it, but i always see them looking at me like they are waiting for something!

Do you tip?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I never tip. If you tip delivery drivers, why not tip parcel couriers or anyone else who works in the gig economy?
You want to tip? Then tip. You don't want to? Then don't!
Treboeth18/10/2019 21:00

Minimum wage,getting your food delivered hot and on time?Tip the poor …Minimum wage,getting your food delivered hot and on time?Tip the poor bugger, they will appreciate it and won`t eat your dessert next time

But im also on min wage. I dont see what i would actually be tipping for! Ive already paid for my takeaway and the delivery in most cases!

I was just wondering do people tip the delivery drivers ha
I never tip, Mrs always does.

Plenty of folks on minimum wage don't get tips.
I don't see why takeaway delivery drivers, taxi drivers, hairdressers, waitresses are different.

Hence get nowt from Me.
101 Comments
Minimum wage,getting your food delivered hot and on time?

Tip the poor bugger, they will appreciate it and won`t eat your dessert next time
Treboeth18/10/2019 21:00

Minimum wage,getting your food delivered hot and on time?Tip the poor …Minimum wage,getting your food delivered hot and on time?Tip the poor bugger, they will appreciate it and won`t eat your dessert next time

But im also on min wage. I dont see what i would actually be tipping for! Ive already paid for my takeaway and the delivery in most cases!

I was just wondering do people tip the delivery drivers ha
SteMoss18/10/2019 21:03

But im also on min wage. I dont see what i would actually be tipping for! …But im also on min wage. I dont see what i would actually be tipping for! Ive already paid for my takeaway and the delivery in most cases! I was just wondering do people tip the delivery drivers ha

Don`t tip then.
Enjoy the cold food with no dessert and maybe a few extra sauces in the mix (joking of course)*

Or am I
Edited by: "Treboeth" 18th Oct
Yep - £2 generally.
Treboeth18/10/2019 21:06

Don`t tip then.Enjoy the cold food with no dessert and maybe a few extra …Don`t tip then.Enjoy the cold food with no dessert and maybe a few extra sauces in the mix (joking of course)*Or am I

Well they wont know im not gonna tip them until ive got the food lol
I never tip. If you tip delivery drivers, why not tip parcel couriers or anyone else who works in the gig economy?
jamie1518/10/2019 21:16

I never tip. If you tip delivery drivers, why not tip parcel couriers or …I never tip. If you tip delivery drivers, why not tip parcel couriers or anyone else who works in the gig economy?

And I bet you don`t get dessert with your Amazon delivery
Treboeth18/10/2019 21:17

And I bet you don`t get dessert with your Amazon delivery

Why is the item delivered relevant? It isn't.
jamie1518/10/2019 21:18

Why is the item delivered relevant? It isn't.

I guess that one flew over your head as well
I've never tipped
Usually £2
Always tip unless you want them to spit on your next takeaway!
When I used to live in a flat with an awkward door to find, I'd tip drivers who managed to deliver to my door with no hassle (but even then only like £1).

I used to know someone who delivered for Dominos, paid hourly and +£1 for every delivery. That's plenty.

Plus, the people in the whole process who usually deserve the tip are the people working in kitchens. In this day an age with Google Maps making it easy to find a house and avoid traffic, the delivery driver has the easiest job in the whole process.
I never tip, Mrs always does.

Plenty of folks on minimum wage don't get tips.
I don't see why takeaway delivery drivers, taxi drivers, hairdressers, waitresses are different.

Hence get nowt from Me.
I tip if they come fast, means my food is piping hot If they come late it's 50/50 no tip. If they come fast it means they put in effort and looking for that tip lol give something even if it's little like 50p.
Edited by: "MR1123" 18th Oct
I used to deliver over 100kg of shopping up 3 flights of stairs for a supermarket and rarely got a tip, im not tipping someone for deliverying a few pizzas
MonkeysUncle18/10/2019 21:36

I never tip, Mrs always does.Plenty of folks on minimum wage don't get …I never tip, Mrs always does.Plenty of folks on minimum wage don't get tips. I don't see why takeaway delivery drivers, taxi drivers, hairdressers, waitresses are different. Hence get nowt from Me.

Don`t tip the takeaway driver, no dessert
Don`t tip the taxi driver and get taken home the long way
Don`t tip the hairdresser, and you get a Mohican and get to hear about their holidays
Don`t tip the waiting staff and a fly in your soup could be the least of your worries

At the end of the day some tip some don`t.
.MUFC.18/10/2019 21:33

Always tip unless you want them to spit on your next takeaway!

Thats a terrible accusation to make
I told you that was an "olive"
I did deliveries on top of my full time job to help pay for my wedding. The tips came in really handy. I'd always tip the driver, remember yours will get to you faster if you're known tipper.
Also would you like to be tipped if you did it or something similar? It's just a small token of appreciation shown.
I tip £5 - you should see their little faces light up!
We tip £2 in cash rather than through the app. Higher value for the delivery person.
STRICKIBHOY18/10/2019 22:03

I did deliveries on top of my full time job to help pay for my wedding. …I did deliveries on top of my full time job to help pay for my wedding. The tips came in really handy. I'd always tip the driver, remember yours will get to you faster if you're known tipper.Also would you like to be tipped if you did it or something similar? It's just a small token of appreciation shown.

Yes i would liked to be tipped if i did it but i also would like to be tipped for my admin job! I really dont get tipping for the sake of it!

If i was eating out somewhere and the waiting staff was very friendly, gave great service etc all evening etc i would tip and could understand that. But tipping someone who has just dropped off a pizza doesnt warrant a tip from me tbh.
JumpMan198018/10/2019 22:11

I tip £5 - you should see their little faces light up!

...what when you ask them for £4.50 change lol
You want to tip? Then tip. You don't want to? Then don't!
fanpages18/10/2019 21:53

Also see: "Do you still tip at hairdressers??" [ @traythegreat : 30 August …Also see: "Do you still tip at hairdressers??" [ @traythegreat : 30 August 2019 ]

38697596-M6WlC.jpg
Hubby always gives them a tip,
but the last one fell at the third fence.
joyf453618/10/2019 22:43

Hubby always gives them a tip,but the last one fell at the third fence.

Hahahahaha!
joyf453618/10/2019 22:43

Hubby always gives them a tip,but the last one fell at the third fence.

I been ordering takeaways for 20 yrs and I've never once give a tip. You pay it in your order anyway. They all add it in somehow
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 18th Oct
People like delivery drivers and the such aren't in it as a living or a career choice, it's to make ends meet. There's no holiday pay or sickness leave or job protection. They are putting their own car at risk too. I never minded people who didn't tip that's their choice. Just eat killed the delivery tips anyways. I'm weird tho as I feel embarrassed if I don't tip lol. But why compare there's jobs to the one's that employees aren't tipped, is it to make the justification feel more right?
jamie1518/10/2019 21:16

I never tip. If you tip delivery drivers, why not tip parcel couriers or …I never tip. If you tip delivery drivers, why not tip parcel couriers or anyone else who works in the gig economy?

We tip all delivery drivers and at Christmas give the postman a tenner and give the bin men a crate of beer, how terrible of us to be grateful eh
Treboeth18/10/2019 21:20

I guess that one flew over your head as well

It did. Not sure what you mean by 'as well' though.
jb6618/10/2019 21:48

I used to deliver over 100kg of shopping up 3 flights of stairs for a …I used to deliver over 100kg of shopping up 3 flights of stairs for a supermarket and rarely got a tip, im not tipping someone for deliverying a few pizzas

So you accept a tip if you're given one but refuse to tip yourself, enough said
Edited by: "SpeakEnglish" 19th Oct
efc_4ever18/10/2019 23:06

I been ordering takeaways for 20 yrs and I've never once give a tip. You …I been ordering takeaways for 20 yrs and I've never once give a tip. You pay it in your order anyway. They all add it in somehow

Quite likely they add a nice flemmy green one in to your Madras on their way round, bon appétit
jamie1518/10/2019 23:56

It did. Not sure what you mean by 'as well' though.

Read my other comments,or did you already read them?

That sums up my as well comment.
SpeakEnglish18/10/2019 23:53

We tip all delivery drivers and at Christmas give the postman a tenner and …We tip all delivery drivers and at Christmas give the postman a tenner and give the bin men a crate of beer, how terrible of us to be grateful eh

Good for you. I don't tip because everyone gets paid to do their job.

Bin men/women get paid a full wage, so does a postman. Those who work in the gig economy are welcome to work elsewhere if they choose but still get paid per job and my deliveries are very simple.

Unless someone really does a good job and goes completely out of their way to do a favour for me, I'd not even consider a tip. Even then, I would rather offer to give their name in a positive feedback form (if I were dining in a restaurant for example).

It's nothing to do with being 'grateful'. It's just a question of me not believing that people such as delivery drivers/waiters are given a tip when other people in poorly paid jobs don't. I don't see people tipping staff in Asda when asking which aisle the milk is in.
Treboeth19/10/2019 00:02

Read my other comments,or did you already read them?That sums up my as …Read my other comments,or did you already read them?That sums up my as well comment.

I read it but Amazon wouldn't usually deliver dessert which is what confused me.
jamie1519/10/2019 00:05

I read it but Amazon wouldn't usually deliver dessert which is what …I read it but Amazon wouldn't usually deliver dessert which is what confused me.

So you had a sense of humour failure
jamie1519/10/2019 00:03

Good for you. I don't tip because everyone gets paid to do their job.Bin …Good for you. I don't tip because everyone gets paid to do their job.Bin men/women get paid a full wage, so does a postman. Those who work in the gig economy are welcome to work elsewhere if they choose but still get paid per job and my deliveries are very simple.Unless someone really does a good job and goes completely out of their way to do a favour for me, I'd not even consider a tip. Even then, I would rather offer to give their name in a positive feedback form (if I were dining in a restaurant for example).It's nothing to do with being 'grateful'. It's just a question of me not believing that people such as delivery drivers/waiters are given a tip when other people in poorly paid jobs don't. I don't see people tipping staff in Asda when asking which aisle the milk is in.

I tipped a young assistant in Marks's food hall for helping with my shopping when I was on crutches so I'm sorry to burst your stroppy bubble but I clearly tip supermarket staff too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants