Taking a baby to tenerife

Found 25th Apr 2012
We am going to Tenerife in a couple of weeks with our 9 month old son and was wondering how difficult it is to buy baby milk over there or is it easier to take it with us. The suitcases will be quite full already so Im hoping its easier to get it out there.
Also how do you get baby milk onto the plane for the flight? Do you buy it at the airport past the security checks?
Any help appreciated

1. Misc
  2. Baby
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Baby
17 Comments

Banned

im pretty sure babies wont starve on tenerife mate

youll be fine, stop worrying about nothing

http://www.lovetenerife.com/traveling_with_baby.html

although saying that

Baby milk is one of the few items that you should bring with you as you … Baby milk is one of the few items that you should bring with you as you are unlikely to be able to buy the same brand over here.

Edited by: "casparwhite" 25th Apr 2012

Original Poster

I saw that comment but on other sites it says you can get it over there quite easily. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this issue

Take with you, babies as I am sure you will be aware are fussy things with milk due to the above I would hate to have a screaming babe over a little thing like milk (just make sure its still sealed for customs and declared)

You can take baby milk already made up in the bottles (enough for the flight) within the usual see through poly bag. Once your stuff goes through the machine at security they will take the bottles out and ask if you if its milk and they will then get you to taste it (to show that it is and that you won't collapse if it isn't). We had to do that several times when our lot were small. Bottles are better than the ready made cartons because they will make you open the seal of the cartons to taste it too and you'll be left with it slopping all over the place. Plus the staff will heat them up for you on board too.

Original Poster

kaks26

You can take baby milk already made up in the bottles (enough for the … You can take baby milk already made up in the bottles (enough for the flight) within the usual see through poly bag. Once your stuff goes through the machine at security they will take the bottles out and ask if you if its milk and they will then get you to taste it (to show that it is and that you won't collapse if it isn't). We had to do that several times when our lot were small. Bottles are better than the ready made cartons because they will make you open the seal of the cartons to taste it too and you'll be left with it slopping all over the place. Plus the staff will heat them up for you on board too.

Cheers for that. We currently use the powdered milk then add sterilised water but I was told this isnt a good idea when abroad. Can any one confirm this as if we need to take bottles of prepared milk we will need to take lots and lots

Banned

nick130980

I saw that comment but on other sites it says you can get it over there … I saw that comment but on other sites it says you can get it over there quite easily. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this issue

all groceries are slightly different over there so it depends if youre fussy or not, babies could be

you may find the same brand but different taste same as kellogs cornflakes and the gross frosties they have there

nick130980

Cheers for that. We currently use the powdered milk then add sterilised … Cheers for that. We currently use the powdered milk then add sterilised water but I was told this isnt a good idea when abroad. Can any one confirm this as if we need to take bottles of prepared milk we will need to take lots and lots

You shouldn't have bottles 'prepared' for longer than 24 hours, nevermind a two week holiday.

Just take powder and less rubbish that you wont even use/wear.

Original Poster

bazzaric

You shouldn't have bottles 'prepared' for longer than 24 hours, nevermind … You shouldn't have bottles 'prepared' for longer than 24 hours, nevermind a two week holiday.Just take powder and less rubbish that you wont even use/wear.

I was going to take powder and then buy bottled water over there for the bottles. Is that an ok plan do you think?

Banned

you need to check bottled water for its contents of sodium and something else, although at 9 months i doubt you are using stacks i would take powdered milk from the uk
Edited by: "sassie" 25th Apr 2012

We took our to Cuba at 10 months, took a box of milk with us in the case although she was only having 2 bottles a day, we took powdered food too (she never took to jars), we had a travel kettle and bought bottled water, have to say it was fairly easy, the hardest part was keeping her entertained on the flight and stop her eating sand.

For the airport you have 2 options, pre-sterilise your bottles (if you still are at 9 months) and fill it with powder - which we did, no problem. or buy the ready made cartons to take through with you.. we saw people having to drink ready made bottles going through security.

Original Poster

Cheers everyone for your help. I now know what I need

Can you not buy the tetra packs for the flight if your worried?

We bought powdered milk in the airport Boots after customs last time we went away which saved packing it! We also took a travel kettle with us so could boil bottled water in the room and use that to make up bottles. I don't think you'd be able to take the cartons through customs without opening them but these were also available to buy in Boots. Might be worth calling them to see which brands they stock.

Taking my lad back there soon, he's 18 months now though.

As above, I'd take the powdered milk with you, its not going to take up that much room - depends on how long your going for ?

A box a week shoud be plenty.

Onother option is to take the pre mixed stuff in cartons, just work out how many you will need & literally tear off & pour into bottle (actimel definately do this, not sure on the other brands).

Where are you staying anyway ?

Nappies are pricier in Tenerife and the quality is also pretty poor.

take all your own stuff they allow a suitcase for all babies needs why buy anything over there, I went away to Tenerife in December with my new great grandbaby of 4 months my Grandaughter took all he needed but she was breast feeding so that made a difference but she still needed bottles too and nappies of course.

Might be a good time to wean them off the powder stuff?

Guidance now says full fat milk from 9 months is OK isn't it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants