Taking a contract out for a phone to try it out and return within cooling off period?

Posted 6th Sep 2020
What's everyone's thoughts on the title. Is it a bad thing to do?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Lee_Doherty06/09/2020 18:51

Apologies. Even if I like the phone, I plan to still return it

This makes no sense
19 Comments
Could you not try it out in a store that stock the phone? Currys PC world etc
Hard Search against your credit report
winzzz06/09/2020 15:36

I currently have nothing that I need a credit search done for at least 3 more years, so, a hard search isn't a big deal
madoka_ayukawa06/09/2020 15:35

Could you not try it out in a store that stock the phone? Currys PC world …Could you not try it out in a store that stock the phone? Currys PC world etc

Unfortunately not. I can't decide if a phone works for me without actually using it as a phone for a few days at least
Personally, if it is legally allowed then go for it. I'm the same way that many large organisations avoid paying taxes via legal loopholes.

If you want to avoid the "holier than though" comments then just buy the cheapest one you can find, then sell it to cex when you make your decision.
I’ve done it before because I genuinely hated the phone, they took it back and swapped for a newer version of the type I was used to.
Edited by: "claire7519" 6th Sep
Being that the cooling off period exists
Don't do this in-store as the cooling off period doesn't apply to store sales (at least with some retailers, such as 3).
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 6th Sep
terriclarkfan06/09/2020 17:41

Don't do this in-store as the cooling off period doesn't apply to store …Don't do this in-store as the cooling off period doesn't apply to store sales (at least with some retailers, such as 3).

I know this. Used to work for EE. They don't allow it either. Neither does Carphone Warehouse
Jump_Out_Gang06/09/2020 17:21

Being that the cooling off period exists

Interesting How come?
Jump_Out_Gang06/09/2020 18:53

Interesting How come?

Haven't come across a contract that is reasonably priced for an iPhone. But, I also don't feel like contracts are good value when you can buy outright. Having said that, I'm unsure if buying outright provides the same cooling off period
winzzz06/09/2020 15:36

I value a hard search at least £50, more when you coming close to a financial decision.
Palwan06/09/2020 19:43

I value a hard search at least £50, more when you coming close to a …I value a hard search at least £50, more when you coming close to a financial decision.

That's manageable. My car plan is only 9 months old on a 48 month plan, and no other credit searches required in my life for just under 2 years
Lee_Doherty06/09/2020 18:49

I know this. Used to work for EE. They don't allow it either. Neither does …I know this. Used to work for EE. They don't allow it either. Neither does Carphone Warehouse

Only works if you state reception is poor/data in the house. They will offer to swap but if you stand firm they will cancel which means less funds for their Xmas party!

This makes no sense
Lee_Doherty06/09/2020 18:55

Haven't come across a contract that is reasonably priced for an iPhone. …Haven't come across a contract that is reasonably priced for an iPhone. But, I also don't feel like contracts are good value when you can buy outright. Having said that, I'm unsure if buying outright provides the same cooling off period

Apple has a 14 days return policy if it’s an iPhone you’re after.

...I'm unsure if buying outright provides the same cooling off period

An off-premises purchase from a UK merchant provides the consumer with 14 days from receipt of product to assess its functionality and optionally cancel the purchase for full refund, as provided by S29 CCR 2013.
If returned under cancellation the trader may reduce the refund if the product has been execessively handled "beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop."
Refund to be within 14 days of notification of return despatch.

Cancellation right: legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade
Excessive handling refund reduction (9) and period for refund (5) at legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade

Observation: buying an iphone from Apple UK webstore? That purchase is from a trader based outside UK and not subject to UK legislation, regardless of the lipservice the trader pays to UK legislation, although Apple is generally not known to flout UK legislation. Arguably generally best to buy using UK-sourced credit to access post-purchase UK legislation.

Haven't come across a contract that is reasonably priced for an iPhone. …Haven't come across a contract that is reasonably priced for an iPhone. But, I also don't feel like contracts are good value when you can buy outright. Having said that, I'm unsure if buying outright provides the same cooling off period

Try Phonehouse, I’m with them, new up coming company, very good reviews and great prices.
Post a comment
@
    Text