Groups

Taking a driving test in your own car?

Hi im due to take a driving test using my instructers car but i was just wondering has anyone used there own car to take a test?my dads just got me a corsa and i was thinking if i dont pass with the instructer then it might be cheaper and faster to use my own car,of course i will need somone to sit beside me to take me to the test center but at least i wont have to pay them to take me there etc.

14 Comments

if i dont pass with the instructer then it might be cheaper and faster to … if i dont pass with the instructer then it might be cheaper and faster to use my own car

................eh ? :?

Would you not need learners insurance on your own car? therefore making it waaaaayyy more expensive.

You will need to be insured under a Provisonal Licence!!

Yeah it would be cheaper but your instructor will help you improve on the things that let you down if you do fail. Plus switching to a new car wont help your driving as it will take a while to get used to.

masterbrown;2220435

Would you not need learners insurance on your own car? therefore making … Would you not need learners insurance on your own car? therefore making it waaaaayyy more expensive.

But he they would already be insured on the car if he is driving it round anyway. I am sure you would only need to be a named driver not policy holder

Original Poster

im quite quick at picking up things and also got a pretty good insurance quote on my provisional licence

I could have used my own car when i learnt as I had provisional insurance, but i prefer the idea of having the duel break things much safer!
    I always drove to and from work with my mum in the passenger seat so got used to my car quite quickly... luckily i had the same make car as my instructer, which can be quite hard adjusting between two types of cars...

it would probably save you money if you already have insurance on your own car, but it's quite risky doing that...

strobez1977;2220452

im quite quick at picking up things and also got a pretty good insurance … im quite quick at picking up things and also got a pretty good insurance quote on my provisional licence

ya wont fail 1st time then will ya :roll:

learner insurance on your own car is not as expensive as people think, my daughter is 18 has her own car, is learning in it it is a 02 Corsa SLi sport which is a pretty sporty one and all she pays - fully comp is £1,100 with Swinton Insurance, she is also gaining experience in the car she will eventually be driving so I think that is important and clocking up her no claims as her insurance is in her name - apparently learner driver insurance is cheaper because - a learner always has to have an experienced driver with them, makes sense I suppose - good luck with test

I learned in my own car - had discount on lessons from instructor for using my own car and passed 1st time in my own car...

not sure about being cheaper etc,
    But when i took my test I remember there being a list of all the things a car had to have. Seat belts, head rests that weren't adjustabl or something (don't quote me on that can't remember the full details)
    Oh and there was also a notice on the wall stating that they weren't going to take people out in a certain make of car due to there being a recent report on the bonnet not being secured properly.

Good luck though

That bonnet thing was on tele a few weeks back, can't remember what car or show it was on though

How much are you going to save? you are use to your instructors car and they have full insurance. For £40-£50 not worth it.

I did my 2nd test in my own car because my instructor was in hospital. I flat spotted the 2 front tyres on the emergency stop, and failed. If you're thinking of doing it, make sure you learn how the car handles first.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Deliveroo11
      2. Speccing a gaming pc414
      3. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened11
      4. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.11

See more discussions