Groups

Taking baby on first holiday!!

ok so we have just booked a last min holiday to majorca!!
    never had baby abroad before shes 10months and i want to make sure i take everything i need or anything u think might be useful that you would take away with u!!

thanks for the help!!

x

32 Comments

Aloe Vera gel for mossie bites and use as aftersun, plus one of those water in a spray can thingies you can get from all leading supermarkets/pharmacies lol

ear plugs

Just returned from 2 weeks in Marbella with my 9 month old son,

Couple of tips...

At the airport, make up her feeds, (if on formula) into most of dry powder, (we took 4) and 4 baby bottles with water.

You will find the supermarkets have baby food, but its around 2 euros a jar, so try and take it in your case (we did)

If you need any formula when your out there, HERO Baby is a good product

Take some factor 50 sun cream,

Make sure you take a small first aid kit just in case..

Which airline you flying with ?

Rick

a pop up UV tent for the beach, somewhere for her to lie down and cool off or sleep or to have a bit play, lightweight and (once you get the knack) easy to assemble and disassemble.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask..

Rick

sun hat , high factor sun cream , calpol lots of it , little one do tend to get ear infection in pools abroad , lots of infections in the water ,
    favorite toy ,european health insurance card , is a must with little ones ,, moisture cream , 1/2 as many clothes as you think you may need ,

have fun !!

Original Poster

RickT;8895971

Just returned from 2 weeks in Marbella with my 9 month old son,Couple of … Just returned from 2 weeks in Marbella with my 9 month old son,Couple of tips... At the airport, make up her feeds, (if on formula) into most of dry powder, (we took 4) and 4 baby bottles with water.You will find the supermarkets have baby food, but its around 2 euros a jar, so try and take it in your case (we did) If you need any formula when your out there, HERO Baby is a good productTake some factor 50 sun cream,Make sure you take a small first aid kit just in case..Which airline you flying with ?Rick

thanks for all the advice!! i was going to fill my case with food because there is 4 adults im going to put some in everybodys case!! did you take all your nappies or get them there??

have just got loads of banana boat factor 50 spray only £2.99 in my local home bargins

the tour operator is airtours so not sure if its a flight with them or other company she not got her own seat as it was the same price for her seat as it was an adult and wasnt willing to pay it for a 2 and a half hour flight but again with there being 4of us we can all take turns of amusing her!!

what was it like getting the food through customs?? were they ok with powder form and did u take any bottles already made up through customs??

x

Banned

when my little one went abroad we got our doctor to prescribe him some antibiotics as he suffers from ear infections, they also asked pharmacy to give it to us unmade, we only had to add water to make up if he needed it

Take a koo-di.... it's a sun cover for the buggy when babba has a nap. They're only bout a fiver. Far better than a sun shade umbrella.

Take a magna doodle for the plane - and a few books, for entertainment.

Original Poster

texfitz;8896056

Take a koo-di.... it's a sun cover for the buggy when babba has a nap. … Take a koo-di.... it's a sun cover for the buggy when babba has a nap. They're only bout a fiver. Far better than a sun shade umbrella.Take a magna doodle for the plane - and a few books, for entertainment.

i just got the baby jogger city mini and that hood is a sun shad which comes right down and covers her completly!!

deffo going to get a pop up uv tent!! they totaly went out my head!!

x

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8896064

I took loads of food into America in my Hand Luggage with no problems and … I took loads of food into America in my Hand Luggage with no problems and they're strict, I just didn't mention it, had a box of cereals, ritz crackers and some chocolate from New Zealand.

oh this is good to know!! we are going to florida in november but im not as worried about that!! fell like there food etc would be ok for her to eat just hear so many horror stories bout spain!!x

Another tip is to try and keep a bottle feed for when you are just about to take off - the sucking help keeps the wee one's ears from popping and you may also get the added bonus of her dropping off to sleep for an hour or two while drinking it - and you can have a happy stress free flight! Its not long to Majorca either - good luck

branchinghenk;8896034

thanks for all the advice!! i was going to fill my case with food because … thanks for all the advice!! i was going to fill my case with food because there is 4 adults im going to put some in everybodys case!! did you take all your nappies or get them there??have just got loads of banana boat factor 50 spray only £2.99 in my local home bargins (lol)the tour operator is airtours so not sure if its a flight with them or other company she not got her own seat as it was the same price for her seat as it was an adult and wasnt willing to pay it for a 2 and a half hour flight but again with there being 4of us we can all take turns of amusing her!!what was it like getting the food through customs?? were they ok with powder form and did u take any bottles already made up through customs??x

In regards to nappies, we took 1 pack with us, (around 50 pampers,) and had to buy some one the second to last day, cost 8 euros for around 36, they were some spanish make, they were fine.

Airtours is part of the TCX group, and the cabin crew will help you the best they can.

We also took 2 jars of food in our hand luggage and 1 fruit pot. -- security where very good, you will have to "taste" the water in the bottles.
    As mentioned above, make up your formula into pots in advance and dont mix it.

Also, check your hand luggage weight limit, as we managed to pack a roll on case with my sons clothes, so we knew that his baggage would not get lost as it was always by our side.

Rick

kaks26;8896133

Another tip is to try and keep a bottle feed for when you are just about … Another tip is to try and keep a bottle feed for when you are just about to take off - the sucking help keeps the wee one's ears from popping and you may also get the added bonus of her dropping off to sleep for an hour or two while drinking it - and you can have a happy stress free flight! Its not long to Majorca either - good luck

This is something we also did, my lad fell alseep on take off and landing too!!

Rick

Original Poster

RickT;8896222

This is something we also did, my lad fell alseep on take off and landing … This is something we also did, my lad fell alseep on take off and landing too!! Rick

thanks for all your help!! was going to do that with her clothes would go nuts if they lost all them!!lolx

Original Poster

oh one more question did you take your own travel cot??
    i want to but other peeps say use the cot they give u!!

x

We took a travel cot but the airline had broken it by the time we arrived, better to put some anti bactarial gel in your suitcase or buy some when you get there and wash the cot.

put the nappies in the storage compartment of the buggy and send it all through or else your luggage allowance will be used up by baby products.

Have you got a passport for the little one?

Hi use their cots dont take travel cot, and in my experience take a cheap buggy with good sun shade if you take expensive largish buggy usually ends up broke as they just fling them around. Also take plenty of nappies cos the ones i have bought abroud are normally horrible plastic things. take sachets of calpol as less space than bottle and for airport or emergency take those ready made milk cartons. Have a good time :-)

Just line all the suitcases with nappies before filling with clothes and take as many as can in hand luggage, my sister in law once bought large pack nappies but a tag on it and it was allowed to go in as luggage dont know if airline would let you do that.

Dont know if you still sterilize your bottles and things, but i used to buy the plastic bags with the tablets in them from mothercare, much easier when your away. Not sure if you can still get them?
    My advice would be to relax and enjoy and so will your little one, most hotels provide what you will need in terms of cots/highchair even buggies. If you forget anything you can always pick it up whilst your there.
    Hope you have a fab time.

and for heavens sake dont forget to pack a hat for the little un. Verrrry important when we took our little girl away for the first time.

Original Poster

thanks everyone!! on my way to try get a pop up uv tent!!x

Probably stating the obvious but remember to use bottled water for making up the formula milk. Its cheap as chips in Majorca. We used to get a big 5 or 10 litre bottle of water for about 2 euro which we used for baby bottles (milk and water to drink) and for us to drink and use for tea coffee etc.

Original Poster

aww i cant get a pop up uv tent anywhere!!

dont want to spend a fortune on one but by the looks of it i might have to!!

if anyone has one lying about or knows someone withone that wants to gt rid let me know!!thanksxxx

Banned

a friend of mine had a pop up baby tent and sold it on, she said her little one wouldnt stay in it, so was totally unused, so unless your little one will sit still i wouldnt bother, usually at that age they are crawling about everywhere and wont stay still

To be honest - I've never bothered with a pop up tent. When we sat out by the pool we always got beds with a brolly and if the baby wasn't in the water then she sat under the brolly either on the bed or in teh buggy. Also we had a parasol on the buggy for when asleep and out and about. You are probably just spending money you don't have to - but everyone's different. Its also something else to carry which you could do without. Plenty sun cream and shade when you can. T-shirt on as well to cover shoulders.

Banned

boothy;8895923

ear plugs

for all the passengers! :-D

Take some milton wipes to clean everything down, cot etc.

Also a travel kettle to make up the feeds? Don't forget you most likely won't have anywhere to store your made up bottles, therefore take some small tubs for formula for when your out and about. When I took my little boy away when he was a baby I used to boil the kettle a hr before I needed the water. Then would make up the feed once it had cooled down to correct temp.

Buy some of those disposible steribottles, we used them loads and chucked them when we were out and about.

Probably stating the obvious, but you do have a passport for your baby, right?

x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do these 2 men have in common1014
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764216
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31138
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846168

See more discussions