Groups

Taking kids out of school

Just wondering how many people take their kids out of school to go their family holidays,i am taking my 5yr old out for 2 weeks in june 2011 and was thinking of another week in nov which will actually be the new school yr from sep if u understand what i mean,so just wondering what other parents do.Thanks

25 Comments

My kids' school allows us to take them out for up to 10 days each school year. Can't see a problem with it tbh. Only time they can't have time off is if they have SATs or similar.

We take the girls out of school for 5 days a year for our weekly family holiday. We just couldnt afford to do it any other way.

My school is ok with it, but then again they were not happy with a family, back to school for 1 week after the 6 weeks holiday and then they took their kids on a 3 week holiday.

I know they are allowed 10-12 authorised absenses in our school. They should be find with it as the other week is after the new school year. x

Here you can get fined for it. You have to prove that you can't get time off work during school holidays for family holidays,otherwise they expect you to take them on holiday when the schools closed.

my daughter has always been taken out once a year for last 4 yrs for 1 week, she is nearly 9 now, and never had any problems, school has always been understanding. My daughter is very bright and missing a week throughout the year has never caused any problems with learning

Ive always said tho, when she gets to seniors it will be different and will have to spend more on holidays
    Edited by: "nessynoo01" 15th Nov 2010

My kids schools now have a policy that they will not authorise the absence unless child has an attendance record of 100% for the previous terms. The primary school also asks for the reason for holiday in term time and if its not considered valid they wont authorise at all.
    We took our kids out for five days a couple of years ago as my husband wasnt able to take holidays during school holidays so we wouldnt have been able to have a holiday otherwise, school authorised it only after a letter from employers.

I don't take my kids out of school, and I don't imagine I ever will. I just think it's a bad habit to get into, and teaches the children school isn't a priority. Plus, we never holiday abroad, so it has no effect on our holiday prices, I guess I may feel differently if it did!

Husband can never get time off during summer holidays, And always seems to have his birthday week off in May so we just go then. This year we are going abroad for the 1st time, so was so much cheaper for us.

I feel once my eldest gets to Junior years I may have to look at paying more for the half term near may. All my kids are infants or younger at the moment.

a 5 year old is ok imho-would never do it when they have important exams later in life.altho 2 weeks in june and then another in november is pushing it a bit imho.

Think its ok on the odd occasion,but personally wouldnt make it a yearly event.

Original Poster

Thanks ever so much for your replies,i just feel that the prices are so sky high when you take them in the school holidays that we would just miss out on our family holiday,i hate taking him out but what choice do you get if its the only way you can afford it,fair enough if they were doing exams

I can see that taking a child out of school in year 10 or 11 might cause problems, but a five year old? I can't see that it would really cause a problem (although that doesn't mean the school won't complain...).
    At that age I think traveling and seeing new things can be just as educational as sitting in a classroom.

Original Poster

plus the only reason for the november holiday is a winter wonderland holiday at centerparcs so cannot really go any other time

I have taken my son out before but its been in June when (in Scotland) schools are about to break up. The prices of the holidays just double in the summer holiday.

Next year we are also taking him out in June but after that he will be in high school and wont be doing it anymore. Our school is great about it but does go down as an unauthorised absence

julieg

Thanks ever so much for your replies,i just feel that the prices are so … Thanks ever so much for your replies,i just feel that the prices are so sky high when you take them in the school holidays that we would just miss out on our family holiday,i hate taking him out but what choice do you get if its the only way you can afford it,fair enough if they were doing exams

Couldn't you drop him off at Grannies for a couple of weeks?

we took our 9 yr old out for 10 days this year, had to write to request permission off the head, the school does allow 10 days but no more, my hubbys shifts and work dictate when he can have holidays , he cant request time off, I did ask my boys teacher to put my sons work to one side so he could catch up, he did all of it when we got back much to the huge surprise of the school.
    theres no way we could afford the prices during school holidays, I priced our holiday this year for during the school holidays and it was 3 times the price for flights alone,
    We dont take our boy out every year the last time was in 2006 and the next is likely to be in 2 years time , but then we'll have to try and work it so he wont miss the full 2 weeks as he'll be in the comp

Banned

I did ask my boys teacher to put my sons work to one side so he could … I did ask my boys teacher to put my sons work to one side so he could catch up, he did all of it when we got back much to the huge surprise of the school.

Good for you, pity more parents don´t have the good sense that you clearly do.

toshapetriji

Good for you, pity more parents don´t have the good sense that you … Good for you, pity more parents don´t have the good sense that you clearly do.

even when my boy is ill i always ask for his work to be put to one side so he can catch up. the school secretary went mad when i asked her to ask his teacher the first time and she point blank refused saying " we do not do this" when i spoke to my sons teacher he was more then happy to do it.
    I dont want my boy falling behind with his work this is why i always ask , my boy hates me for doing in mind you lol

vinylandtrinkets

even when my boy is ill i always ask for his work to be put to one side … even when my boy is ill i always ask for his work to be put to one side so he can catch up. the school secretary went mad when i asked her to ask his teacher the first time and she point blank refused saying " we do not do this" when i spoke to my sons teacher he was more then happy to do it. I dont want my boy falling behind with his work this is why i always ask , my boy hates me for doing in mind you lol

Thats terrible!! I would have thought most parents do this!

When our little lad starts school we will end up taking him out every year as me and my wife both teach in warwickshire but he will go to school in Leicestershire and the school holidays vary. Can't see the issue with it myself

Banned

my boy hates me for doing in mind you lol

no he doesn´t and later he´ll thank you for it.

bossyboots

I agree , and should be made a standard practice imo, the child can have time off school for hols providing they catch up with missed school work when they return !

I take my son out of school for 5 days sometimes even 10 days. Unfortunately not everyone can have the same weeks off on holiday at work, besides holiday prices often triple during the school hols. I usually take my son out of school the week before school holidays that way he doesn't miss out on any projects that are starting and the school is usually on wind down.

I personally think holidays are a education in them self, when I take my son away we will collect things from the holiday, go to new places, visit museums. When we are relaxing in the evening I would get him to write a diary, I would also get him to write postcards to his friends. Children learn lots in the real world, not just in the class room.

bossyboots

not at my sons school, i spoke to a few of the parents and i was the only one who had asked for the work, some mums said oh no its a holiday they dont need to catch up!
    one mum infuriated me saying her boy didnt need to catch up and if he did he would stay in school at playtime or not do it at all, she couldnt understand why SHE had to give up 15 minutes a day for the boy to catch up on the work, its her time then not the school!
    if we ask the head, deputy head or the secretary they all say the same thing but if you speak to the teachers they are more then happy to help.

Banned

Parents have a moral duty to encourage a full education in their children. Fine, holidays are an education in themselves but should the icing on the cake.

In addition to their formal education not in place of it.

How long does it really take to catch up? Surely a price worth paying for missing class.

toshapetriji

How long does it really take to catch up? Surely a price worth paying for … How long does it really take to catch up? Surely a price worth paying for missing class.

I'm a primary teacher and you'd be surprised. A week off generally turns into missing three weeks of work. The build-up to a holiday breaks down the attitude of the average pupil; it's not uncommon to get next to no work or concentration out of a child for a week before they go away. The return sees a similar pattern of work loss as they get over jet lag, or simply bask in the memories of not being in school!

Work going home is essentially a political matter; teachers and schools are not required to provide work for pupils who miss school under any circumstances. If any of my y3/y4 pupils are off ill, I do save the work up for them, as I know I have a bunch of supportive parents who really only keep their children off if they really need to be. Your teacher might not follow the same initiative.

Catching up on work is fine, but don't think that doing a few worksheets is the same as a week or so of full lessons. The timetable is so packed in school that even missing a couple of days could possibly lead to a hole in a childs understanding. As for it being easier for a five year old to take a week off, well all basic skills are developed in Reception! Remember how quickly your child progressed when they first learnt to walk- it's the same in school.

Holidays can be great, my parents took me to America when I was ten for a month- the Easter Hols and two weeks after that. I took a lot away from that trip, and it provided me with a number of thoughts that have influenced my subsequent life. A holiday of this type is surely well worth the effort and sacrifice; a week in the sun to save a few quid possibly won't be.

The amount of work my son brought home to catch up wasnt that bad really, we spent 15 - 45 minutes after school each day to catch up with the missed work, then another hour for home work,
    2 weeks and he was up todate, my son hated every second of it but he understands that if he wants holidays then he has to catch up, this year we went to Orlando, yes it was more for fun, but with places like Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Sea World to name a couple there are way to enhance a childs learning, my son was fascinated by both these parks ( more so with Epcot as i worked there years ago) every night when we got back from the parks i made him write a story about the day, he really enjoyed looking into the parks, how they worked, where the cast were from, what other countries are like, how to take care of the animals, the list is endless.
    He is now undecided as to what he wants to do when he leaves school train to make console games ( my friends hubby just finished making the new Disney one) or to work with sea life
    It doesnt matter where you take a child on holidays there is always plenty for them to learn about the area, the country, the people, etc, just wish other parents would realise the same instead of taking it out on the teachers when their child is missing out on something.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Minecraft Foam Diamond Pickaxe - Source?11
      2. Buying an iPhone second hand33
      3. Legal advice?68
      4. Mortgage44

See more discussions