Taking our little one on holiday

30 replies
Found 8th Feb 2009
My daughter will be 18 months by the time we plan to take our first holiday together. Has anyone taken there little one away somewhere good..with lots of attractions/places to keep them occupied and make sure they have a fantastic time. Whether its abroad or inland let me know..im needing ideas on where to take her...not too keen on just a beach holiday unless someone can suggest child friendly not too hot place..thanks

1. Misc
  2. Holiday
30 Comments

Disneyland Paris was fab when we took our daughter for her second birthday. She spent nearly the whole holiday in awe - it was so cute! Pricey but really good!

Original Poster

how pricey would you say approx?thanks

Banned

why do you say 18 months? if you were taken to Disney land when you were a baby wouldn't you be ****** that you couldn't remember any of it?

went on holiday to spain when our son was 6 months old..... was a nightmare having to do bottles and feed him before we went anywhere tho we all thoroughly enjoyed it..... 18 months is a lovely age to take a child on holiday and dont think you'll have many problems..... think you'll really enjoy it.... hope you do :thumbsup:

oh and we went to salou and our other son was only 2 and he LOVED it.... loved playing on the beach, in the swimming pool, in the play area by the pool and the night time entertainment :-D

yeh i wouldnt take my child to disneyland at 18 months wont remember anything tbh.

Me and the mrs to the little 1 to menorca last year, he loved it, so much that he started eating ther sand on the beach ( was only 8 months old ) but be casreful kids dont eat as much on holiday cos it is soo bloody hot out there. Menroca was very nice, very family orienatated loads of 1-5 yr olds there and plenty for kids to do.

When we went away with out little one last year, he could take or leave all the razzamatazz of themeparks etc, but loved just sitting on the beach building sandcastles and paddling in the sea. As long as it's a clean beach with a bit of shade, you can't go wrong.

lyndsbowes;4325882

went on holiday to spain when our son was 6 months old..... was a … went on holiday to spain when our son was 6 months old..... was a nightmare having to do bottles and feed him before we went anywhere tho we all thoroughly enjoyed it..... 18 months is a lovely age to take a child on holiday and dont think you'll have many problems..... think you'll really enjoy it.... hope you do :thumbsup:

LOL outr little 1 was 8 months and we took 1 of them microwave steralizers the bloody microwave melted the steralizer lid and melted most of the bottles. FOKIN NIGHTMARE :x

took youngest to Rhodes at just 8 months old, she had been walking three weeks refused until v tired to go into buggy. which had been stolen at airport dirty horrid one left in place.
After purchasing a improved cheaper replacement, one of the most memorabile hols, go enjoy embrace every moment of your family time, time and age goes fast.
love this time it goes without you realising!
We are now visiting unis for her to start this year
yikes

demolisher;4325899

LOL outr little 1 was 8 months and we took 1 of them microwave … LOL outr little 1 was 8 months and we took 1 of them microwave steralizers the bloody microwave melted the steralizer lid and melted most of the bottles. FOKIN NIGHTMARE :x

LOL well we had no kitchen, kettle or fidge with us..... ask reception if we could buy a kettle and she said no coz it would flick the switch to the whole hotel :?
hired a fridge and had to go down to the bar every night and morn to fill the bottles with hot water before we made them up...... it was a nightmare but we got thru it and enjoyed ourselves :-D

I'd stick to the UK for your first holiday.
Both my kids suffered badly on 'planes with sore ears. Even a short 2-3 hour flight can be a nightmare length if they're screaming!

As much as I dislike admitting it :thumbsup: Butlins was actually great. Went to the one at Minehead. They had a section for little kids with their own rides and slides. There is the huge indoor arena with shows (great if it rains) and the accommodation was okay. Walls are very thin and it's basic, so if you can afford to upgrade, do.

Also, if things go horribly wrong you are not that far from home!

Trickyjabs;4325889

When we went away with out little one last year, he could take or leave … When we went away with out little one last year, he could take or leave all the razzamatazz of themeparks etc, but loved just sitting on the beach building sandcastles and paddling in the sea. As long as it's a clean beach with a bit of shade, you can't go wrong.

+1

dnt worry about the scare stories, my daughter is 2years, 9 months now but before she was 2 we had taken her to disneyland paris twice, orlando, new york, vegas, majorca and cyprus. initially its not easy but once you get there you will have a great time. havin kids is hard work anyway o expect it to be a little hard and it will be easy.
my advice, always get a villa or self catering,
1st thing you do , before you even get to accom is go shopping, get water, milk etc, bread,
make sure its not somewhere to hot,
plan your days one day out, one day chillin,
have a pram they can sleep in, take the pram all the way to the plane, dnt put in with luggage

let me know if i can help

SqueakyDust;4326413

I'd stick to the UK for your first holiday.Both my kids suffered badly on … I'd stick to the UK for your first holiday.Both my kids suffered badly on 'planes with sore ears. Even a short 2-3 hour flight can be a nightmare length if they're screaming!As much as I dislike admitting it :thumbsup: Butlins was actually great. Went to the one at Minehead. They had a section for little kids with their own rides and slides. There is the huge indoor arena with shows (great if it rains) and the accommodation was okay. Walls are very thin and it's basic, so if you can afford to upgrade, do.Also, if things go horribly wrong you are not that far from home!

we have taken our little one on long-distance flights numerous times. He never had any trouble with his ears hurting and on "red eye" flights would sleep all night long from the moment the plane took off til the instant it landed. I guess it just if your kids are tender to the ups and downs. Encouraging them to drink a bottle on lift off helps their ears to "pop". However, I wouldn't go long distance without a good reason to, its utterly boring for the kids to have to sit still for several hours no matter how many DvDs, nintendos, toys, snacks, etc they have with them.

Also agree with Butlins, our little ones loved it. The older ones were seriously mortified that one of their friends would find out and they'd lose any respect from their peers! I'd estimate Butlines is great up to about 8 years depending on the social stigma awareness of your child!

Best holidays we've had are where we just hire a large home near a good beach and have the freedom to do anything we please ( or rather the kids feel like! ). All the kids love the beach no matter what age they are.

We went on holiday when I was pregnant to Zante, the apartments were so good that we decided to go back when our daughter was 8 months. As we'd been before we knew what to expect, what we needed to take, where the shops were, what they stocked, where the chemist/doctors were etc and I felt perfectly relaxed about going

We went again last year when our daughter was 23 months and our son was nearly 4 months. As a previous poster has mentioned the plane is the hardest part. 2 babies under 2 on our knees was not fun but we made it!

Going again this summer and getting married whilst we're over there!

I would suggest that where ever you decide to go you thoughly research first. Holiday watchdog is a good site

Mijooly;4326807

We went on holiday when I was pregnant to Zante, the apartments were so … We went on holiday when I was pregnant to Zante, the apartments were so good that we decided to go back when our daughter was 8 months. As we'd been before we knew what to expect, what we needed to take, where the shops were, what they stocked, where the chemist/doctors were etc and I felt perfectly relaxed about goingWe went again last year when our daughter was 23 months and our son was nearly 4 months. As a previous poster has mentioned the plane is the hardest part. 2 babies under 2 on our knees was not fun but we made it!Going again this summer and getting married whilst we're over there!I would suggest that where ever you decide to go you thoughly research first. Holiday watchdog is a good site

Awwww how romantic. That sounds lovely !!

Good luck with your wedding arrangements xxx

at 18 months are they eating just what you're having? you'd have to reccomend baleric islands somewhere that caters for mainly the british palet (ie chips!) somwhere there no shortage of difference places to eat.

We took our little one to Cuba at age 8 months, and she loved every minute, she was never a big fan of jared food so we took the powed which we mixed with bottled watter boiled in a travel kettle (same with her milk)

I cant reccomed enough that you go ona beech holiday they find the sand so fascinating (they will always try and eat it first time round) but if they're a water baby like mine is then pool and see all day is more fun than they could ever have at some theme park.

abroad is fantastic but you cant beat cornwall, loads of farm parks and smaller theme parks, zoos and lots of lovelly clean safe beaches, i usually go to newquay or looe, give this site a look i payed £450 for a week for 4 plus a dog in august ]http//ww…uk/

Try Port Aventura in Spain, it's in Salou and if you stay at the Hotel El Paso you get your week's entry ticket to the theme park included (went with First Choice) and, depending on when you visit, between 2 and 7 days entry to the water park. We went when my daughter was 12 weeks old so obviously too young for the theme park but loved the swimming and again a year later at 16 months, by which time she could go on a few of the smaller rides.

The Hotel is about half an hour's walk from the centre of Salou and the beach so you could walk in if you wanted a change one day, but the hotel is big enough to keep you occupied and she LOVED the disco on each night. I think you also get free membership, and bus, to a local beach club which is just for the Port Aventura hotels. It's half board and there was always plenty of food she liked and occasionally you get Universal characters (Woody Woodpecker, Pink Panther, Popeye, Betty Boo etc) walking round.

In my opinion far better than Disneyland Paris as it's cheaper inside and out the park, and a lot warmer!! I've put the link below.

firstchoice.co.uk/hol…so/

portaventura.co.uk/

Annie1508;4327441

Try Port Aventura in Spain, it's in Salou and if you stay at the Hotel El … Try Port Aventura in Spain, it's in Salou and if you stay at the Hotel El Paso you get your week's entry ticket to the theme park included (went with First Choice) and, depending on when you visit, between 2 and 7 days entry to the water park. We went when my daughter was 12 weeks old so obviously too young for the theme park but loved the swimming and again a year later at 16 months, by which time she could go on a few of the smaller rides. The Hotel is about half an hour's walk from the centre of Salou and the beach so you could walk in if you wanted a change one day, but the hotel is big enough to keep you occupied and she LOVED the disco on each night. I think you also get free membership, and bus, to a local beach club which is just for the Port Aventura hotels. It's half board and there was always plenty of food she liked and occasionally you get Universal characters (Woody Woodpecker, Pink Panther, Popeye, Betty Boo etc) walking round. In my opinion far better than Disneyland Paris as it's cheaper inside and out the park, and a lot warmer!! I've put the link below.http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holidays/costa-dorada-holidays/portaventura/hotel-el-paso/http://www.portaventura.co.uk/

went last year and ok the theme park was good but it was expensive and salou was a bit of a dirty $h!t hole full of dodgy people on every street corner wanting to sell you something, it must be good for familys tho because every family had about 50 kids all in need of a wash :whistling:

I would just stay in this country and go somewhere like centerparcs, butlins, pontins etc with a child of that age.

ding;4327485

went last year and ok the theme park was good but it was expensive and … went last year and ok the theme park was good but it was expensive and salou was a bit of a dirty $h!t hole full of dodgy people on every street corner wanting to sell you something, it must be good for familys tho because every family had about 50 kids all in need of a wash :whistling:

We never went into Salou as there was enough to occupy us around the Hotel and Theme Park which were lovely and clean thankyou. I also disagree with the prices, OK the theme park isn't overly cheap, especially with the pants exchange rate, but all theme parks are, even in this country and it's a DARN SIGHT cheaper than Disneyland Paris. Also, like to point out that all the kids I saw were lovely and clean, you obviously visited the dodgy places!! :whistling: (back at ya)

ClarityofMind;4326817

Awwww how romantic. That sounds lovely !!Good luck with your wedding … Awwww how romantic. That sounds lovely !!Good luck with your wedding arrangements xxx

Thank you :thumbsup:

Annie1508;4327832

We never went into Salou as there was enough to occupy us around the … We never went into Salou as there was enough to occupy us around the Hotel and Theme Park which were lovely and clean thankyou. I also disagree with the prices, OK the theme park isn't overly cheap, especially with the pants exchange rate, but all theme parks are, even in this country and it's a DARN SIGHT cheaper than Disneyland Paris. Also, like to point out that all the kids I saw were lovely and clean, you obviously visited the dodgy places!! :whistling: (back at ya)

i didnt stay in salou just visited twice and the park for one day so yes it probably worked out dearer, the park was great and the hotels did look nice aswell, i was just commenting on the state of salou itself, wasnt nice. :thumbsup:

We've been taking our little ones to Spain since they were 5 weeks old and have had no problems. We have also been in a caravan in the UK. To be honest he loved the caravan as much as he loves Spain. UK can be expensive if the weather is no good though.
If you go to Spain in May it is nice weather for the beach but not too hot, more like a nice UK summers day. It is also a lot cheaper out of season and will probably be cheaper than UK. Or September is really nice weather.
At that age they don'r really care. My LO is 18 months now would enjoy it in the park as much as a beach in tenerife!
If we have a nice summer we plan to go camping as I am due number 3 at the end of July so can't go to Spain , but still really looking forward to it, and it will be a great experience for the children

Haha, funny a few of you say at 18months they won't remember anything. We took our daughter to China at 13months and she'll look through the photo album now and tell us things she remembers that aren't in the photo's....don't underestimate childrens memories, trust me. All you need is a good set of photo's and that always jogs their memories. She is 2 and 8months now.

As for Disneyland, we have been twice and she vividly remembers celebrating her 2nd birthday with Minnie Mouse...she tells everyone that Minnie Mouse bought her a cake and kissed her. Both true (well, Minnie brought her the cake, not bought it like she thinks - we did obviously). She will also tell you that Captain Hook was mean to Daddy - again true in her eyes, he grabbed daddy with his hook to make him surrender. AND she will also tell you she ate all of mummy's chocolate in Disneyland...again all too true, she found a stash of chocolate in our hotel room which mummy thought she hid well but obviously not well enough, lol! We also went again a few months ago...it makes for a great holiday because the fact that little one gets so caught up in the magic means a break for you too - just maybe without the sea and sand. But saying that my daughter has been introduced to Disney from a young age as i have always been a fan - i think she has watched every single classic movie and nearly every eve pics a dvd to watch again with mum before bed.

DLP cost us approx £1000 for Explorers Hotel, Eurostar travel, Premium Meal Plan, Birthday Cake for 5 nights (2 adults, 1 toddler). Lots of extras included at time of booking as we wanted as little hassle as poss.

Also for if you do wish to fly somewhere nice, as i say we took little one to China at 1 (13hrs of travelling), just make sure they suck on a bottle of juice or milk for take off and landing and then they should be fine (no ears popping).

x

teenytiny;4336109

Haha, funny a few of you say at 18months they won't remember anything. We … Haha, funny a few of you say at 18months they won't remember anything. We took our daughter to China at 13months and she'll look through the photo album now and tell us things she remembers that aren't in the photo's....don't underestimate childrens memories, trust me. All you need is a good set of photo's and that always jogs their memories. She is 2 and 8months now.As for Disneyland, we have been twice and she vividly remembers celebrating her 2nd birthday with Minnie Mouse...she tells everyone that Minnie Mouse bought her a cake and kissed her. Both true (well, Minnie brought her the cake, not bought it like she thinks - we did obviously). She will also tell you that Captain Hook was mean to Daddy - again true in her eyes, he grabbed daddy with his hook to make him surrender. AND she will also tell you she ate all of mummy's chocolate in Disneyland...again all too true, she found a stash of chocolate in our hotel room which mummy thought she hid well but obviously not well enough, lol! We also went again a few months ago...it makes for a great holiday because the fact that little one gets so caught up in the magic means a break for you too - just maybe without the sea and sand. But saying that my daughter has been introduced to Disney from a young age as i have always been a fan - i think she has watched every single classic movie and nearly every eve pics a dvd to watch again with mum before bed.DLP cost us approx £1000 for Explorers Hotel, Eurostar travel, Premium Meal Plan, Birthday Cake for 5 nights (2 adults, 1 toddler). Lots of extras included at time of booking as we wanted as little hassle as poss.Also for if you do wish to fly somewhere nice, as i say we took little one to China at 1 (13hrs of travelling), just make sure they suck on a bottle of juice or milk for take off and landing and then they should be fine (no ears popping). x

My cousins went to disneyland florida when they were 3 (twins - girl and boy) and they cant remember a thing. They had forgotten about it totally in about 2 months, and that was with people reminding them. They are 10 now and went to disneyland paris recently, and even that didnt bring back any memories

teenytiny;4336109

Birthday Cake for 5 nights (2 adults, 1 toddler)

thats one hell of a cake! :whistling:

I would agree that 18 months is a bit young for Disneyland Paris. We took ours when they were 5 & 9 years and they both loved it then.

If you decide that you do want to go to Disneyland Paris then I have got a guide that we bought on eBay with some hints & tips for families. Have given it to some people on here who have found it useful. Drop me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy. :thumbsup:

We went to Malta and Gozo with a 3 year old and an 16 month old! Both loved the Seaside and the water. Was a tad hot and that was in September so would be wary of that! People there are lovely(and helpful (both my kids are allergic to tomatoe! Not good in a place like Malta)

Good luck and let us know where you decide

we went to Bouganvilla Park in sa coma majora when ours where younger would deffo recommend it with a 18 month old, there's a free road train taking you to the beach and its a lovely resort and the beach is fantastic and the staff are very friendly and they have a escape club and a creche club and a kids club and its very good for kids, have a lovely time xx
realholidayreports.com/hot…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions