taking out HD in sky hd box and use in pc?

Found 19th Dec 2011
hi all, just a quick question, i have a sky hd box 500gb, is it possible to take this hard drive out and still be able to watch channels as normal ? with out the hard drive in?

am thinking of taking it out and using it as back up in my pc,
if it is possable is it just as simple as unplugging connection to hard drive and then just replacing cover of sky box?
Community Updates
12 Comments
Well the box is always storing data on the hdd, when you press rewind on a channel it just pulls the stored data from the partition. So is it possible to stop this function in full? Not sure, same as a faulty or failed hdd would that still work without it the system is activily trying to save data, above link says youve got to set it to single feed
Edited by: "simplex" 19th Dec 2011
simplex

Well the box is always storing data on the hdd, when you press rewind on … Well the box is always storing data on the hdd, when you press rewind on a channel it just pulls the stored data from the partition. So is it possible to stop this function in full? Not sure, same as a faulty or failed hdd would that still work without it the system is activily trying to save data, above link says youve got to set it to single feed

You can turn the buffer off
Original Poster
how do you go about turning buffer option off or setting it to single feed
Why would you want to lose the one facility that's worth having sky for in order to have a 500gb hdd which are pretty cheap?
Original Poster
dont have a subcription with sky anymore,which makes the hard drive pretty useless...cheap 500gb?? i guess u havent heard the huge increases in hard drives lately due to floods lol
Edited by: "n1ttygr1tty" 19th Dec 2011
n1ttygr1tty

dont have a subcription with sky anymore,which makes the hard drive … dont have a subcription with sky anymore,which makes the hard drive pretty useless...cheap 500gb?? i guess u havent heard the huge increases in hard drives lately due to floods lol

They're coming down in price now
Original Poster
a little yes, not alot, and why buy one whens theres one doing nothing at the min in me sky box?:) it as no function at all, u cant rewind,record etc with it without subscription
Didn't realise you didn't have a subscription, don't know how you can go back to not recording now!

Iirc you used a code when I did last year, I take it they didn't offer you a decent discount when you cancelled?
You can use the hard drive in a PC and your sky box will still work but without the recording function.I have done this myself and works just fine.
Original Poster
sancho1983

Didn't realise you didn't have a subscription, don't know how you can go … Didn't realise you didn't have a subscription, don't know how you can go back to not recording now! Iirc you used a code when I did last year, I take it they didn't offer you a decent discount when you cancelled?

nah not bothered with sky tv anymore to be honest, have gotten used to all the freeview channels, looking back i cant believe how much money we wasted on the movie channels etc, when most r repeated most nights,
they did send me a 6 month half price leaflet through the door tho, but didnt take it up.
Original Poster
picky747

You can use the hard drive in a PC and your sky box will still work but … You can use the hard drive in a PC and your sky box will still work but without the recording function.I have done this myself and works just fine.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants