Groups

Taking Photos Whilst Working

The situation is that my father has a few rental properties, so obviously has a few trusted workmen to come and do the maintenance.

He had a job today (replacing joists and floorboards). He was able to get his favoured chippy in, a family friend with 30 years experience as a qualified carpenter.

As soon as the carpenter arrived the tenant started taking photos, and continued to do so the whole day. He was continually sat in a chair watching every step taken, often interrupting to take more photos.

The carpenter (God bless him) held his tongue all day and finished the job (from my untrained eye) to a very professional standard.

Incidentally, the tenant has been there a while, always pays rent on time and is generally a perfect tenant.

My question is, is it legal or even ethical for a worker to be photographed and scrutinised in this way by a tenant in a private property?

13 Comments

Why not speak to them about y they wanted to take them. If the workman minded would he not just leave?

maybe he was taking pics of the carpenter's crack. There're some weirdos out there
    Edited by: "Otto.uk" 10th Jun

As above, just ask why the photos are being taken if worried. Im sure its nothing sinister. Im currently having an extension built and im photographing a lot so i have progress photos to look back on in future. Many people do this, its not uncommon.

no one has the right to take photos of someone else without their permission.

Original Poster

No permission was asked.
    @justanothercid - he would not just leave - respected family friend. Would hardly leave a job half done

GNKelly072 m ago

No permission was asked. @justanothercid - he would not just leave - …No permission was asked. @justanothercid - he would not just leave - respected family friend. Would hardly leave a job half done

the bloke should have told the tenant that he should not take photos without permission. i would take offence if someone started to take photos of me without my permission.

Original Poster

Jumpingphil

If the job failed 6 months down the line, he would have photographic … If the job failed 6 months down the line, he would have photographic evidence of what was done which may or may not show any glaring mistakes that may or may not have been made.I think it's a good idea.I can't imagine these photos ending up on tinternet so what's the problem?

"job failed" - It's joists. How will they fail?
    Would you be happy for someone to follow you round maintaining photographic evidence?

Edited by: "GNKelly07" 10th Jun

From a renters perspective I can see why you may want to, the tenant is potentially on the hook for any damage when he moves out. Not saying your father would be but some landlords are very aggressive in going after bond money and it would be difficult to prove for example marks to skirting boards and walls was done by the tradesmen and not the tenant.

Original Poster

joey1352

From a renters perspective I can see why you may want to, the tenant is … From a renters perspective I can see why you may want to, the tenant is potentially on the hook for any damage when he moves out. Not saying your father would be but some landlords are very aggressive in going after bond money and it would be difficult to prove for example marks to skirting boards and walls was done by the tradesmen and not the tenant.

Well that is a fair point.
    However, there is no deposit. The tenant was temporarily out of work for a couple of months and the rent was waived

The tenant was in his own home (albeit rented), so of course he could take as many photos as he wants. If the tradesman (or your father) wasn't happy, then they would have to leave or ask not to be photographed, while understanding that it's only a request and is not enforceable.
    Edited by: "BluePandaMan" 11th Jun

mutley1

no one has the right to take photos of someone else without their … no one has the right to take photos of someone else without their permission.

If the photographer is in a public place they can take photos of pretty much what they like, including pictures of you or I.

There are a few exceptions such as professional photography in the Royal parks, Parliament Square & Trafalgar Square or where the Official Secrets Act applies etc. Also, you can't photograph people where they have an expectation of privacy, such as through their bathroom window, but in their front garden is fine.

Admittedly it's a bit odd to take pictures of the workman constantly without asking , but I'm sure he could have asked him to stop if he wasn't happy. I've often taken pictures of ongoing work being done on my property , but I admit I do it in breaks while the workmen are not actually there . It stems from having a problem years back with some over roof scaffolding that wasn't put up properly and caused damage . Now I take a couple of pics as things progress just in case there are any problems . I do only do this with larger jobs mind

Jumpingphil

If the job failed 6 months down the line, he would have photographic … If the job failed 6 months down the line, he would have photographic evidence of what was done which may or may not show any glaring mistakes that may or may not have been made.I think it's a good idea.I can't imagine these photos ending up on tinternet so what's the problem?

​Buy you're implying there that the tradesman doesn't know what he's doing or does poor quality work that will definitely fail.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ide to sata converter44
      2. Anyone ever had a ginormous box from amazon with virtually nothing inside?710
      3. Audi A4 2 Batteries and memory card issue47
      4. Washer Dryer33

See more discussions